Author Topic: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??  (Read 72265 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SMITH family - Gypsy's ??
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 October 11 06:27 BST (UK) »
Got Swales Cunningham in my family tree, as well as Smiths from Leics

Offline Lino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 October 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
hi there. i don't recognise those surnames but that's not to say there's no connection. can you list any smith names and dates etc. i am also related to the booths.

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 October 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Researching my grandson's family I also found a Smith family. Not too sure if they were gypsies but family lore said they once owned or should have owned Black Patch Park. The story goes that there were deeds and the deeds had been seen but were thought to have been burned along with the caravan when Henty (I think) died, and the family lost out. It's covered in Ted Rudge's book which I was lucky enough to get at the library.

He has Benjamin Smith born abt 1825 son of Joseph & ?Sarah lived Dudley. Benjamin mar Ellen Oakley 1845 and had Joseph, Sarah. Prudence, Ellen, Comfort Alice and Benjamin. My grandson's link was through Ellen.

The Oakley family were from Sedgley near Dudley the children had some very unusual names eg Kerenpuck, Zenbabel and Zenish.

Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Lino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 October 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
hello again. thanks for the reply and info, however, i don't think we have the same families here. my lot were centred around melton mowbray and areas in leicestershire.
the unusual names include: napthali, amadine, boyrementa (aka wyrementa, byrementa, ryadunty etc etc). so if you come across anything like that i'd be interested to know. i've traced this side of the family back to circa 1770 but can't get back any further through parish registers.
happy hunting. best wishes, lynne french

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 

I'm trying to trace the Smith family travelling around Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire area.

On 1871 census they are on Land Society's field Sneinton Nottinghamshire.
On 1881 census they are camped in a Gypsys Van, Pickwell Melton Mowbray Leic.

Head John Smith bn 1834 Turlangton Leic
Wife Maria Smith bn 1835/9 Scalford Leic

Does this fit in with your family at all???

Many Thanks
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline onuj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 August 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for Tranetta Smith born 1863 Leicestershire.
Married Thomas Smith 1894.
Need to find her birth and parents.
Any info. please?

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 August 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have any other info on your Thomas Smith?  Birth Year - or childrens names they may have had?
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
My family are smiths from the midlands and Leicester Northampton there's a lot of wisdom smiths in my family my grandads name was dick / Richard smith but they moved to Barnsley Yorkshire about 50 year ago xx

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
1907 death of Henty Sertenius Smith age 97 Queen of the Gypsies who for a quarter of a century made her home on the Black Patch Handsworth the clans of the Smith and Clayton formed the tribe they sold Clothes-Pegs,Baskets and Tin goods her husband Easu had died ten years before and a year before her death the tribe had been forcibly removed but Henty was allowed to stay she died in her Caravan and was buried in Easu's Grave about two hundred of her children,grandchildren and great grandchildren attended her funeral as ell as many othr Gypsies her caravan and belongings she had requested be burnt to stop family disputes a fight is the last thing a true Romany Gypsy ever wishes, if it is of any use to you
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.