Author Topic: Vickery  (Read 3709 times)

Offline moorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Vickery
« on: Friday 30 May 08 01:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me break down a brick wall please? I have a William Vickery who, according to his death transcription, was a gentleman, married to Margaret Sampson of Tipperary, had been in the colony/state of New South Wales, Australia, 25 years at the time of his death 1860, aged 40. The transcription showed that he was born in London - no parents listed. I have all of his descendents, here in Australia but have no idea how he arrived here. Any help would be appreciated
Moore (East Sussex) Vickery (London - Australia)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vickery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 09:55 BST (UK) »
I can see his marriage to Margaret in 1853 - do you have this record? Which church did they marry in?

Unfortunately if he came in 1835 he manages to avoid all the UK censuses. What was his occupation on earlier records?

You could also try hunting down an obituary for him - unlikely to name parents, but might say something about his immigration or mention siblings if he came with any.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
That was a quick response - thank you. Yes I do have his marriage certificate at St. Stephen's Presbytarian, Bathurst. I also have found a will of his but can't find any other information. He was described as a gentleman on his death certificate but I guess that doesn't really mean much as he only left his wife with 100 pounds worth of effects. He died in Geek St or Glebe St, Glebe , Sydney, of chronic liver disease. As you say, he was born at an awkward time as far as records go but I live in hope. Thanks once again.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Since he was only 15 when he arrived have you searched for other possible relatives who may have emigrated with him?

e.g.

VICKERY, Louisa   
NEVELL, John         
Parish:   Bathurst, Presbyterian

or further afield ( a lot of entries for Abercombie district)

VICKERY, James   
GRAHAM, Eliza         
Parish:   Abercrombie District; Bathurst, Church of England

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 08 02:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda,  but I have exhausted all of those possibilities (I think). There were other Vickerys in the area - some very well heeled indeed - but no connection with my 'mob'. I've also searched ship's passenger lists to no avail. I'll keep trying but thanks again for your suggestions.
Alan

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 08 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi alan

I too have been searching the passenger lists to no avail. I've been trying all the variations of the name I can think of and still no luck! He had to have come on a ship ... he couldn't swim LOL so where is he? ??? I'll keep trying and post if I find anything.
Good luck
Joy :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 May 08 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have a possibility for you (please forgive me).  In the Australian Convict Transportation Registers is the record of a William Vicary (sp) who was convicted on 9 May 1836 and transported for seven years on 4 August 1836 on the Bengal Merchant.  If you go here  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-1186-18360509&div=t18360509-1186#highlight  you will be able to see the transcript of the trial of William Vickary (sp).  His trial noted he was 18 at the time which is quite close to the dates and timeframes you have.  It is quite possible that William learned his lesson in Australia and made something of himself.  He would have been well and truly done with his sentence before he got married.

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 May 08 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

By the way, this William received his pardon in 1841/2 from Tasmania so I'm assuming that's where he was transported to.  Not uncommon for Tassie convicts to go to NSW to start again???

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline moorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 May 08 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunny - well I think that is the best possibility I have had yet! Thank you. William is my wife's g.g.g'father and whilst I have been able to trace just about (if not all) of his ancestors I have never been able to find out, after trying for quite some time, how he arrived here. Mustn't read too much into how he died but it seems as though he may well have been a ne'er do well. His wife Margaret, remarried very shortly after his death and a baby born shortly after that. William's or her new husband's I wonder? Margaret remarried a Glasheen who built the Golden Age Hotel, Trunkey Creek, N.S.W. nad appears to have done quite well for herself dying eventually in Parkes. Thank you very much for you help and thank you others for your help also. Alan, Hervey Bay, Qld