Author Topic: Gunter Family  (Read 60416 times)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gunter Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 November 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi cripes,

Thanks for the offer. The earliest "safe" Gunter is John, b. ca. 1806 in Cantref married to Rebecca Griffiths. They have 3 children, William b. 1832, John b. 1836 and Jane b. 1846. They followed the naming pattern John/William and could be found quite easily on the censuses . So I am looking for
William.
Don't think I have seen a Minnie yet. Have seen on the Internet a few things about Gunter in Breconshire, but have very little so far.

Peonie

Offline bushido

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Cripes.. Is Minnie Gunter from Oregon? My dad and I have never been able to find out who my great grand fathers parents where. His name was Harley Gunter married to Minnie Gunter (maiden Welch). Harley was born in 1895, and died in 1969... Other then that I have no info on him. I heard from my grandfather before he died that he was one of 13 children.

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bushido,

I'm afraid not..my Minnie was born here in the UK...Tadley, Hampshire, England.
Though the Minnie name does appear in the Gunter line here in the UK and the US.

There is a link via the Gunters to the US in 1644. One John Gunter b1624, emigrated to Virginia. And from him comes most of if not all the Gunters I have corrisponed with in the US....and those linked to the name.

But as of yet..no-one has been able to find conclusive recorded documents stating he did indeed emigrate to the US. Though most believe he did..dispite lack of documents. Some are not convinced until documents are found to prove he did.

I am of the belief he did emigrate. I think he became involved with the slavery trade/and tobbacco growing, selling.

The Gunter line prospered and became well noted in US history. Many name places containing the name Gunter are named after the family members..like Guntersville Alabama. I believe there was also a Unit in the American Civil war made up of males from the Gunter line, 14th Alabama Cavalry I think.

You may wan to try your main libaray, and look for 2 books writen about the Gunter family in the US. "Gunter's Along the Edisto", and "More Gunters Along the Edisto" by L H Buff.

I would love copies of these books..but they appear very rare. But your libaray may have copies. They tell the life of the Gunter family in the US and would contain some very useful info.

Buut...there is the fact that some Gunter in the US came from German Gunter's...not British. And so...you nned to fine out if she was of Brirtish or German decent.

Those here in the UK I have an interest in are those of British decent coming via Welsh decent. As my line came from Wales..who then in turn coming from Normandy at the time of William the Conqueror.
The oldest know Gunter is Sir Peter Gunter (Sir Peter Gaunt dO'r) born 1034/5. A norman knight who invaded Wales around and was given lands in the Brecons for his services..A place now called Tregunter..the family seat for some 500+ years.

I shall of course keep an eye out for your Minnie and see if i can't find something for you...but as you can imagine...it busy this time of year and so don't expect results soon..if at all.

Regards
Paul

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peonie,

I have not forgotten you :)
I am looking to see if I can find anything bout for possible link.

Regards All
Mery Christmas & Happy New Year!.  ;D

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Well bushido,

I have had a good look around and come up with something that might interest you.

You say Harley Gunter married a Minnie Welch.
I believe they are both apart of this family as there is another Gunter marrying a Welch, but this time, the other way round. A male Welch marrying a female Gunter.
And using the name Minnie for one of their daughters!.
They also appear to have lived in the same area's as Harley and Minnie and around the same time, are associated with.
I believe they are related to these family...

Joseph Elbert Taylor Welch,
b: 2 JAN 1848 in Macon County, North Carolina
Elizabeth Emeline Gunter
b: 10 AUG 1851 in Cherokee County, North Carolina

Married: 14 MAY 1871 in Cherokee County, North Carolina

Children
1. Jessie Calvin Welch b: 1872 in North Carolina
2. Dora Welch b: 1874 in North Carolina
3. Candastis Josephine Welch b: 1877 in North Carolina
4. Gilmer Welch b: MAR 1880 in North Carolina
5. Amanda Welch b: BET 1880 AND 1886
6. Sherman Columbus Welch b: 19 SEP 1886 in Bushnell, Swain County, North Carolina
7. Minnie Annie Welch b: 29 OCT 1889 in Bushnell, Swain County, North Carolina
8. Nellie Louellen Welch b: 1892
9. Laura Mae Welch b: 1892

Have a feeling Harley & Minnie may have been cousins!
Certain linked to this family I would assume.

HANG ON!...THEY ARE RELATED!!!

Just found Harley and Minnie mentioned in the same family tree.
Here is the link to the tree!
Hope you find this useful.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=pthompson&surname=Graydon+(Graden)%2C+Mary

Regards

Offline bushido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
Thank you for all the info.. I don't really know what to do with it. I am sorta running blind right now. My grandfather passed a couple years ago, and my greatgrandfather Harley died in '69. My grandpa never met his grandpartents, or any of his aunts and uncles. All the info I have is my grandpa was born in 1920 in Proctor County, NC and moved to Medford, OR a few years shortly after. Harley was the oldest of 13, or so the story goes, and left NC because he was sick of raising his brothers and sister.  :P So anyway again thank you for the help, it may just lead to something.

You all have a great Christmas.

Offline bushido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Actually I followed the link to Minnie and her date of birth is exactly the same as Harley's... So it could be more then likely the same people. It says she died in 1962, so I need to find out where she died, or where her 1930 census was taken, or her SSI card was issued to make for certain.

Offline cripesamighty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Well its something to be going on with.
It might allow us to go round the side so to speak.
Got in round the back to find Harleys parents...if you can't go direct.
I do this alot when I cant find the parents.

Find other relatives and go through them to find the parents..especially if you can find a tree.
I'm sure with this info we can find his parents...Ever throught he is using his middle name?...just a thought.

Offline bushido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh btw.. the list of Welch's you gave in text isn't the same as what i found in your link. The minnie I found in your link is for sure his wife. No question, she died in Jackson in 62, 7 years before he died in jackson. Her parents where

Father: Fidelia Welch b: 28 APR 1866 in Hazel Creek, Macon County, North Carolina
Mother: Alice Jones b: 22 OCT 1871 in Hazel Creek, Swain County, North Carolina

So I did some link chasing and I see no Gunters in her line. So they aren't directly related.

I am so sorry for high jacking this thread.. I should start a new one...