Author Topic: Army mate's.  (Read 8390 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army mate's.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Eileen think I got most right:

Suez 1942 (that was the easy bit)

On way to Far East on Empress of Australia in convoy which stayed 4 days in Cape Town enroute.  Wonderful time Cape Town B......   ....... ....... Blond.- ring with Timmy Hatch - I never knew if it went but on beach under table mountain and on war upstairs on bus she showed a lot of "understanding" which her husband did not appreciate.  Wonderful party in outskirts of Cape Town with "fairy lights" re everything night before (we) left unexpectedly.  She kept writing till half way between Alamein and Tripoli where things (including Bully) dried up (also had pearl nail varnish-she loved me and for a long time I loved her.  Here we arrived at night.  I in charge of ...... party for field ambulance (151H). Searchlights-wogs-whips for shouting.  New environment for young innocent.

Hes fairly cryptic in some bits but it may be my misinterpretation.  If anyone else can get the bits i have missed...
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline paulcheall

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad's WW2 memoir at www.fightingthrough.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Ok - here's a stab -  I have put the word query in where I could not read it! Curious tale!!!!
Paul

Suez 1942
On  way to Far East on Empress of Australia in convoy which stayed four days in Cape Town en route. Wonderful time Cape Town query query query blond -- ring with query Watch -- I never knew if it went close on beach under Table Mountain and on way upstairs on query query showed a bit of ”understanding” which her husband did not [find?] appropriate. Wonderful party on the outskirts of Cape Town with fairy lights and everything right query query left unexpectedly. She kept writing till halfway between Alamein and Tripoli where things (including Bully) dried up.
Also had pearl nail varnish -- she loved me for a long time I loved her. Here we arrived at night -- I in charge, query -- party for query query (151 H (Highland?)) Searchlight -- query -- whipped for query. New query for young innocent.
Editing Dad's WW2 diary at www.fightingthrough.co.uk

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 October 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Dee and Paul,

Thank you for that,   bit of a mystery  ???

This one also seems to mention a husband  ::)  but 4 years later .

Eillen
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
"Acute abdo from Malta -nice girl begged not to be put ashore to hospital - 5 wks journey ahead but agreed to take on to Melbourne in spite of great worry.

4 am Tip of Australia. Asked Captain to deviate to Christchurch - explained this would cost company £4000. Captain writing but charts outand agreed if necessary at 8 am this would be done - Melbourne

Ship Surgeon and self operating theatre and "rusty instruments" ready. However arrived at Melbourne, where grateful patient disembarked. Wrote many complimentary letters and a few months later divorced husband in Australia.

Returned Britain and wrote again with all news of oher shipmates including Veronica"
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Had a go at the first one as well....Still havent got the bit that may well ID the mystery blonde in Cape Town...Will keep looking at that!

"On way to Far East on Empress Of Australia in convoy which stayed 4 days in Cape Town en route

Wonderful time Cape Town B*** M**** Blond - ring with tiny watch - I never knew if it went but on beach under Table Mountain and on way up stairs on bus she showed a lot of"understanding" which her husband did not appreciate

Wonderful party in Cape Town with "fairy lights" and everything night before we left unexpectedly

She kept writing till 1/2 way between Alamein and Tripoli where things (including Bully!)dried up

(Also ad pearl nail varnish)

She loved me and for a long time I loved her

Here we arrived at night. I am in charge rear party 151 Filed Hospital (H)

Searchlights wogs whips and shouting. New environment for a young innocent"   

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 October 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
My brain hurts...Just went back to page one...

150 (N)...

...is 150 (Northumbrian) Field Ambulance

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 October 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
150 FA went through the initial part of the North African campaign, and then in Cairo were added to 151 Light Field Ambulance who were attached to the New Zealand forces.

There is quite a bit of int on the net re 151 LFA....

Such as this...

At a Corps medical conference called by Brigadier Ardagh a plan was devised to meet the tactical situation and, at the same time, provide a satisfactory medical service for the battle. The 5th British Light Field Ambulance, less three sections, and 151 British Light Field Ambulance were grouped with Light Section 1 NZ CCS as the forward corps medical area, the field surgical unit and field transfusion unit with 151 Light Field Ambulance joining Light Section 1 NZ CCS to form a surgical centre to deal with all necessary surgery. The CO 1 NZ CCS (Lieutenant-Colonel L. J. Hunter) remained to act as SMO Forward Corps Medical Area.

I have looked on the BMJ site for an obit for your chap, but surprisingly cant see one

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 October 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
   scrimnet, 

big thank you for helping out again .

he did come back safe, and married Patricia.

but what he did and what he saw had affected him deeply.

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Glad others have been able to help. He seems to have been very attractive to women-good for him!  Glad he survived.
Dont generally hear much about the backroom boys like the Doc!
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor