Author Topic: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - check here for FAQs**  (Read 38126 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: **CONSERVATION ADVICE - CHECK HERE FOR FAQ**
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 August 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen

Whether you print them at home or at a photo shop won't make a huge lot of difference.  In general, pigment inks (normally used at professional digital photo labs) will last longer than dye-based inks (like we use at home or like the cheaper photo shops), but it all depends on storage of your prints.  If you just keep them in an album or box in the house, they might last 20  years without changing colour.  If you display them in a frame, they might only last a year before they fade!  If you store them in the freezer, you might have them for 100 years.

The best thing to do is to print them off when you need/want them, and make sure you keep copies of the digital files.  I found this website that looks pretty useful, with information about keeping digital files safely:

http://www.savemymemories.org/Default.aspx

I hope that helps!  :D
Cheers
Prue

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 August 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Thank you very much for clarifying this for me.

I have the originals in special folders, but was not sure about the beautifully restored copies.  I have seen a variety of answers to the question, so thought it best to inquire.  I want to put some in frames, away from direct light, so was concerned.

Your answer is a great help as usual.

Wonder if I have room in my freezer.   ;D

Regards,   Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 03:52 BST (UK) »
Re: Removing Photos' from Old Albums!

Years ago, my Mother found a good way to Remove Photo's from Her Old (Threadbare) Album!

She just Cut Around any Photo's that were 'Firmly Attached'! ;)

Some later had their 'Backing' Removed (with Great Care!).
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 06:13 BST (UK) »
Funny story

Was at my fathers over in england - he split with my mum when I was seven.

Asked to scan photos and he showed me a few from when that 'era' which had been cut in half.

He was a bit embarrassed but I put him at ease by sying "I have seen the other halves of some of these"

Managed to scan His grandfather in WW1 uniform so was a worthwhile visit (and to see him of course) He is 70 and walks over 25 miles a week - he's actually fitter than me I think ! - makes you think, doesn't it

Offline Rainbow74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
I have just found a website that will keep all your documents photos for the next 100 years! So once you have restored your photos why not upload them and keep them safe

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What is the website?

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
I have just found a website that will keep all your documents photos for the next 100 years! So once you have restored your photos why not upload them and keep them safe

I doubt any website can guarantee your digital files will be viable and available in 100 years, even if just for the simple reason that the website could go down at any time!  Not to mention technical obsolescence.  More details please!

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been reading this topic, but i cant seem to find what i need.
I have 4 letters from 1916, now 3 of them are written in pencil, all have folded over to a small size.

I would like to buy something to keep them in, thought one site did just recommend a box, which they have been kept in, and should i leave them folded up, or unfold them??

sorry to sound so dim!!

I would also like to know how to store letters from this period ... most of mine are written in ink, but there is one very faded telegram written in pencil.

Rachel
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
I realise I had never replied to sheronb's message from last year - if sheronb reads this, please accept my apologies!

Here is a link on the national archives of Australia's website, with FAQs about preserving your documents etc:

http://naa.gov.au/records-management/secure-and-store/physical-preservation/faq/index.aspx

Another useful page is here:
http://www.conservationregister.com/familydocuments.asp?id=4

I recommend that people store documents in clear plastic (polyethylene or polyester) pockets or sleeves.   These can then either be laid in a box, or put into a folder, for storage.  They must be stored flat, however, not upright on a shelf.  Make copies if they are documents that you refer to alot.

If you are unable to unfold or flatten a document because it's tightly folded or rolled, let me know and I will give you some advice for a simple method of getting the paper to relax so it can be flattened.

Cheers
Prue