Author Topic: Air Force Lookups - if you need help  (Read 141035 times)

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« on: Sunday 01 June 08 12:21 BST (UK) »
I have a fair collection books on the Commonwealth Air Forces for the WW2 period and if anyone would like any assistance, or a look up, please ask. For example (just a sample):

Honour The Air Forces - a complete register of all gallentry awards to RAF and Commonwealth airmen (except MiD) with date, unit and LG reference

Bomber Command and Fighter Command Losses of WW2

A number of squadron histories

Unsung Heroes - a register of all RAF etc POWs in the Far East

Several books on the RAF in the Far East (an area that is particularly difficult to research for airmen casualties)

etc

Just thought I'd mention it  :)

K

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Air Force Lookups - if you need help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
I can recommend Kyt, he is a font of information who gives it most readily.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Moderators, can I suggest you make this thread a sticky?

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wondered if you may be able to help with this.

I was just reading some archives on the website of my local paper and it says that a Wellington Bomber crashed here in 1945.

"14th January The crew of a Wellington bomber were all killed when their plane crashed in fields between Hinckley and Burbage. A farm worker named Raven, living at Sketchley, heard a definite bump, but did not see anything.

He came to the conclusion that nothing untoward had happened. The following morning he went out into the fields and found the wrecked plane 200 yards from his home. The bodies of the six RAF men were recovered. The pilot was Canadian and the aircraft had come from a Buckinghamshire station."

I would really like to do some research on this, is there anyway you would be able to find the names of the casualties? The crash was in Hinckley in Leicestershire.

Thanks,

Kev.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev

The aircraft was Wellington X Serial number MF116 belonging to 26 Operational Training Unit.

It took off at 18.05 for an evening cross-country training exercise. Shortly before 23.40, the pilot made a distress call before crashing at Holt Farm, Sketchley, on the south side of Hinckley. Both Canadians rest at Chester (Blacon) Cemetery, while the others were  claimed by their relatives.

F/O N Chobaniuk RCAF
Sgt L G Good
Sgt J S Gunn
Sgt J W McMurdo RCAF
Sgt J Thompson
Sgt C D Parker

The actual reason for the crash doesn't seem to have been established.

HTH

K

EDIT: As a Flying Officer, Chobaniuk, may already have done a tour of duty. I shall ask the Canadian exports on rafcommands if the have any further info on him

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
kyt, very kind of you  to make this offer.

If you have anything on Flight Sgt Charles Haley HARGREAVES, Aus 421596, 460th Squadron, Lancaster pilot killed March 31 1944 in the Nuremburg Raid I'd be most grateful to have that info. His base was Binbrook.

Any little snippet at all would be of interest.
Thank you,

charlotte

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlotte

Hargreaves' service file and casualty files have been digitised and are available on line:

Service File

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=5529670&I=1&SE=1

Casualty File:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=1069802&I=1&SE=1

It appears that he enlisted 28/2/1942, and after a series of training posts, joined 460 Squadron on 15.1.1944.

From another, it appears that he was second pilot for a couple of missions (usually second pilots were assigned to existing cres for the experience), before he started flying his own crew' He was killed in Lancaster NB738 - do you have information on themission or would you like me to add them?

I need to check the Squadron ORB for details of missions flown etc, but I cannot do that today.

Have a look through his files, and then please ask if you have any specific questions.

K

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kyt,
 thank you very much that is fantastic, i am going to see what else i can find out about them and see if i can get the local paper to print a story.

Thanks again.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 June 08 15:20 BST (UK) »
K, Thank you so much for the info you have given me about my brother. I am going through it bit by bit and will take up your kind offer to explain things if I get to something I can't figure out.
The urls are marvellous- I had no idea such files are available.  Reading the letters about getting permission to vist the grave brings back memories- it took years for the permission to come through to cross Europe which was then under 4 powers  occupation. The Aus War Museum has told us that our parents were the first Australians of whom they know to get this permission and travel through to Durnbach.

I'd be glad to have information about the mission if/when that is convenient.

Thank you again,
charlotte