Author Topic: 33rd Armoured Brigade / 148TH RAC  (Read 25192 times)

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Armoured Brigade / 148TH RAC
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply. I would be delighted to get info about the Rhine crossing. I am pretty sure my father-in-law hasn't been wounded. Actually he never talked about the War at all to his wife and sons. It is very difficult to know what happened to him because he was part of a unit which was posted to various units depending of the needs.
After the War, he came back to his village in Devon, so I don't think he stayed in London. He was a captain.
What I don't know is if he fought in the Ardennes during the winter 44/45.  I know that the 33rd Armoured Brigade was transferred to the 79th Armoured Division on January 18th, 1945 and then they probably reach Germany.

I do understand that you must be busy, so please, when you have a little time and find some things, I would be really very happy.
With my kind regards,

Annick
STOREY :  Lambeth, Bermondsey, Dawlish
SUMMERS :  Walworth, East Dulwich
Winckler: South India

Offline Chez85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annick

As promised here is some information I found out about the Rhine Crossing from the book my grandad got it goes into a lot of detail but I have shortened bits down a bit as most of it refers to names of people. If you want to know more I can put some more on or if you tell me your father in laws name I can see if it mentions him in it. Anyway…

On 18th January 1945 33rd Armoured Brigade came under the Command of the 79th Armoured Division and until the end of the month the Regiment were reorganising and despatching tanks to Brussels which is where they were held until they were needed.

On 19th March the Northamptonshire Yeomanry moved towards Germany and Lt Colonel The Lord George Scott visited all the squadrons for a final word on the operation. The Regimental task was to deliver the 154 Infantry Brigade on the East Bank of the Rhine which was 2.5 miles from Emmerich.

The Regiment operated on a two squadron front. ‘A’ Squadron led by Major Courage with the 7th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were on the right and ‘C’ squadron with Major Bevan and the 7th Battalion Black Watch on the left.

At 1700 hours the preliminary barrage opened up with a roar from the massed guns. The official war Diary states at 2104 hours A Squadron left troop landed 7th Argyllas on East Bank of the Rhine. At 2107 hours A squadron right hand troop landed and at 2108 hours C squadron reported the assault wave of 7th Black Watch landed on both routes.

By midnight 24 March 483 crossings ere made and to relieve the strain on troops they organised a roster so that each man could sleep 4 hours in 24.

On 29th march with the completion of the main bridges across the Rhine the regular ferry service stopped. During the last 2 days of the month of March the regiment was on immediate call for further operations if required and on 31st march were officially released.

Afterwards the regiment moved to Breda in Holland to act as a counter attack force in the event of the Germans creating a diversion. On 30th April orders were received to move to Zwolle in North East Holland.

At 2035 hours on 4th May 1945 the BBC official announced of the cessation of hostilities in Breda. On 5th May the regiment went to Zwolle.

Two months were spent here. On 8th July the regiment left Zwolle and at 0500 hours moved 260 miles to Bleckede on the River Elbe. for many this was the final destination with several men who had already been released to go home.

Hope this gives you a bit more information.
Cheryl

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cheryl,

This is a precious piece of information ! Thank you so much for having taken the time to do that.  I read that the Rhine crossing was called "operation Plunder" ; is it what you described ? My father-in-law was Captain John Edward Storey, if you find his name somewhere I would be really grateful if you could tell me a bit more.

With many many thanks and all my best regards,
Annick

Offline Chez85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annick

Yeah it was known as operation Plunder, sorry should of put that in there. I will look through the book for your father in law and see if it mentions him as it starts from 1939.

i dont know if you would be interested in getting a copy as a keep sake. the book is called 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry in Northwest Europe by R.F Neville, it can be got on the internet but is difficult to get hold off.

Do you have any photos of the regiment at any time as i dont have any photos of my grandad in uniform as they got destroyed before i was born somehow.

Thank you
Cheryl

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 January 09 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cheryl,

If you go on page 1 of this subject, you'll see 2 pictures I already put. But I found another one I join here. There is no mention of date or place at the back. I suppose it have been taken before 1944. My father-in-law is sitting on the front row, second from the left.
I will try to find the book you mentioned. Thanks so much for looking for him in the book, and thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Annick

Offline Road to Falaise

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Annick

Hello. I came across this discussion by chance. I am the author of Road to Falaise, to which you refer. I may have more information available on 148 RAC.  I'd also very much like to know what you thought of my book.
 :)

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 January 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 January 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am really lucky to meet you on this forum. Thanks for your message. Yes I read your book with great interest. It is accurately documented with very useful maps showing the trips of different units. The index is very detailed and helped me too.
Actually all the books published in this collection seem all very interesting.

I am still searching what the 33rd Armoured Brigade did after Falaise. I think the Brigade was attached to the 79th A.Br. The military papers of my father-in-law are not very precise: he apparently went to Belgium and the Netherlands, but I don't know if he fought in the Ardennes during winter 44.
 If you have some info about the 148th RAC I would be extremely grateful if you could send it to me.
With many thanks in advance and my best regards,
Annick

Offline CHERRYPICKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 January 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on a Tpr Walter Jesse William DAVEY (11thH) died while serving with 144th Regt R.A.C.
I am writing the 'Roll of Honour' for the 11thH.
Can anyone help please?

David

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php