Author Topic: 33rd Armoured Brigade / 148TH RAC  (Read 25309 times)

Offline folium

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Armoured Brigade / 148TH RAC
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 June 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
My grandfather HB (Harry) Scott commanded 33 Armd Bde post-Goodwood until the end of the war. Sadly he died in 1953 and we know little about his wartime experiences. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on him and/or 33 Armd Bde. My father has been in touch with Ken Tout and Ken remembered Harry requisitioning a souped-up Honey off him for his personal use! My father has few memories of his father (he was away almost the whole of WW2), and any anecdotes or info would be gratefully received.

Offline ANNICK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 June 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I had a contact with the librarian of the Tank Museum in Bovington. She wrote that they have the operational War Diaries for some regiments from 1941 to 1944. You could contact them at : librarian at tankmuseum.org.
My late father-in-law was a captain of the 148th RAC. I lost his trace after the regiment was disbanded in August 1944 until January 1945 when the 33rd AB came under the command of the 79th Armoured Division until the end of August 1945 (but I am not sure about that). They probably crossed the Rhine in March 1945 but I have very seldom info about it.
Ken Tout left a message last January on this topic, but since then I didn't have any news from him and thought he was busy.
I am sorry not to be very helpful. I suppose my father-in-law knew your grandfather. A pity they didn't write anything about the War, like many of the people who had such a terrible experience did.
If you have some info about the 148th RAC or the 33rd AB, PLEASE, get in touch.
With my best regards,
Annick

STOREY :  Lambeth, Bermondsey, Dawlish
SUMMERS :  Walworth, East Dulwich
Winckler: South India

Offline CHERRYPICKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 June 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this, i will check to see if i have any mention in the 11th's dairies.
kindest Regards
David.

Offline Mike Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 July 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
Annick,
A friend and I are currently working on the histories of the World War 2 Royal Armoured Corps (RAC) Regiments - of which 148 Regt RAC was one.
I can help on the history of this unit, but perhaps you could email me - (*) - and I'll explain in more detail the type of articles we write and send you a sample.
I'm in Somerset, ex-Army (1960-2002) and have an abiding interest in British Army history of World War 2.
I'd very much appreciate it if you could contact me.
Mike Jackson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline CarolineM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 18 June 12 13:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Mike
I have just come across your emial on Rootschat and I was wondering if you are still working in this project and it you have any further imformation about the 148th? My father was Leonard Craig was a Sargeant in this regiment and Marched trough Europe with them until he was demobbed in Camisano, Italy.
Did you publish your findings? I'd love to read them.

Thanks
Caroline

Offline dawesbikes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 26 February 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I received my father's army record a few days ago. Have spent time  looking at the detail on each sheet. He was in the 33rd Armoured  Brigade. He was a wireless operator and was in the tank with the Brigadier. So I assume it was your grandfather. At the end of the war he was running an officers's club in Travermunde for 6 months. possibly your grandfather was there.
Hope this helps. Have a few more pieces of information which will be of use to you.
Yours,D

Offline Kane Farabaugh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello. 

My wife is the granddaughter of Lieutenant Colonel (Major at the time) Cyril J. Smith (C.J.) who was the commanding officer of "B" Squadron of the 148th RAC from the time they landed in Normandy on June 13, 1944 until he was injured on August 13, 1944.  It appears as if "B" squadron was in the woods north of Le Bu-sur-Rouvres on August 13, 1944 when they were subject to heavy shelling.  Cyril was struck by shrapnel and was medically evacuated at the conclusion of the battle.  Though he isn't cited by name, reference to his injury appears in the information about the unit on the Wikipedia entry as well as other online references: "On 13 August the regiment was shelled while relieving 144 RAC, and the commander of 'B' Squadron and several other ranks were wounded. Later that day the regiment's 'harbour' was heavily shelled and the Commanding Officer, Lt-Col R.G. Cracroft, MC, was killed."

From what we've been able to gather, Cyril Smith was the leader of "B" Squadron of the 148 RAC through Operation Goodwood and Operation Totalise in the Normandy campaign during the summer of 1944.  Again from the reference: "During Totalize, 'B' Sqn attacked the village of Tilly la Campagne, which was 'browned' with the tanks' Browning machine guns. This induced many members of 1055 Grenadier Regiment to surrender. 'B' squadron knocked out three assault guns for the loss of one Sherman, and 'C' Squadron brewed up two Panther tanks for no loss."

We only recently learned of his military service.  Cyril passed away in 1973, and did not share much information with his family about his war experience.

We are looking to connect with any living veterans of the 148 RAC who might remember Major Smith, and who might be willing to share information and pictures with us.  Much of Cyril's belongings were destroyed in a fire in the 1970s so only a few photos and his military records in Kew survive for us to understand his journey.  We do have a very large photograph of a group of military men with Cyril in the center of the first row, and we believe this might be a Regimental photograph of "B" Squadron of the 148 RAC before they deployed to Europe, but we aren't sure.

Please feel free to reach me through this site.  There's very little reference at all to the 148 RAC so this chat thread is one of the few locations where we hope we can extract some information.

Thanks in advance for your help in this effort and request.

Regards,

Kane