Author Topic: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth  (Read 48728 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 September 11 20:30 BST (UK) »

Could anyone, including Philip, read the cottage hospital photo and determine where this building lay.

I am no expert on Cambois, but could it be ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 September 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
A wonderful photo of the cottage hospital. In the background to the right of Bath Terrace is the South Staith.  I think some also forget the significance of this photo today. The narrow patch of ground to the left of the hospital, that runs down that wall is the south most ropewalk of the two in this area of Blyth! If you look carefully you can also make out one of the buildings of the ropery. It is shame in some respects that the small trees on the opposite fence of the hospital mask the other low buildings of the ropery even though it would not have been in use at the time of this photo.

The photographer for this picture would have had his back to numbers 78 / 80 Folly Road as it was then (today's Park Road). The view towards Bath Terrace as was, is now obscured by the 'new' houses built on what is today Ridley Ave. and Park View. If you were to stand at the junction of Ridley Ave. and Park Road you can just about recreate the modern view with the old one. The land to the right side of the road in the hospital picture became Ridley Park, so the hospital photo predates the park. I guesstimate the photo was taken very late 1890's possibly 1900 / 01 but certainly no later than that. If memory serves me correct the Park House date stone says 1903?

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 September 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, here is a section of 1897 map showing the exact location of the hospital.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 September 11 02:23 BST (UK) »
In amongst hundreds of old Blyth photos I have collected, there is this one of the old hospital and the Bates Loaders circa 1935.

Philip

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 September 11 10:18 BST (UK) »

Philip,

Super photo, and showing Cowpen Square, which has been discussed before
( showing the lavatories in middle of square, supposed culprits of epidemcs in 1800s) and the Sleek Burn at top.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 September 11 10:21 BST (UK) »

And how could I overlook the Goldern Fleece, at bottom left. One of my first pubs- great jukebox in late 1950s. And the local crack was avoid drinking there at high tide- as the beer cellars flooded lol.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 September 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Glad you like it Michael  ;D Do you know what the piece of land is that juts out into the river from the  west side of the Sleek Burn mouth? That always intrigued me as it doesn't look like a natural feature of the river. You probably already know, but I do like a quizz once in while.

Philip

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 September 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
 Philip,

I don't know what that feature was.   But my father, a Haltwhistle man who lived in Bebside but pent most of his working life down Bedlington "A" Pit, at Bedlington Station, always went on about how getting coal out of the ground was only the start of the difficulties and how getting the coal to a port was another.

Hence the Plessey pit owners developed the Plessey wooden waggonway to get coal to Blyth Harbour because the charge by landowners for taking the coal via the River Blyth was so expensive.

So I think that feature at mouth of Sleek Burn was a loading point for coal onto ships.

Greenwoods map of 1828 
( http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/006972FS.htm) shows a path/road from Bedlington area to the water's edge. Notice the place Mount Pleasant.

Map of north eastern waggonways ( and mineral railways)
http://sites.google.com/site/waggonways/nz/25/nz2585
shows a railway/waggonway following a similar route, just north of Mount Pleasant.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 September 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Spot on Michael. That was the staith the Netherton Colliery used for exporting coal from the area. That is a unique subject on its own though. The colliery had a special vessel built named the 'Bedlington' which went into service circa 1842. It could carry 40 chaldrons of coal, about 95 tons. It collected the chaldrons from that staith and took them down to the Tyne where using it's own steam powered derricks the 'Bedlington' hoisted the chaldrons aloft and tipped the coal into waiting ships. It ran backwards and forwards from the Blyth to the Tyne until 1851 when it was sold to a Scottish ferry company that operated ferries across the Firth of Forth. It's service there as a ferry was short lived as it was then acquired as a transport vessel for the Crimean War effort. The vessel was lost during storms in the Baltic in November 1854. The Navy lost many vessels that night in the Black Sea too. I'd love to know where the vessel lies. In the frigid waters of the Baltic I imagine she is in a fine state of preservation. I'd love to see and image of her or even a plan of the mighty little ship. She was unique and most certainly a 'first'! I wonder if Newcastle or Woodhorn have any archive material relating to the little ship?

There are also some remnants of Netherton Staiths higher up the river which were used prior to the 'new' staith at the mouth of the Sleek Burn. They can be seen form the A189 river bridge over the River Blyth. In my youth a tug boat was moored there, I believe for renovation as a live aboard. I have heard that the tug was eventually scrapped! Amazing that some of the staith timbers are still visible all these years later, though in a decrepit state.

Philip