Author Topic: Hyder family in East Kent about 1750-1820. Mary and husband William  (Read 17738 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hyder family in East Kent about 1750-1820. Mary and husband William
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 November 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi doverrog,

Sorry.

Having re-read all the other postings was it a typo in your last posting and 1750 should read 1760?

Tony  :-[

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 November 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi doverrog,

Sorry.

Having re-read all the other postings was it a typo in your last posting and 1750 should read 1760?

Tony  :-[

Hello Tony.
Well spotted. Sorry about the typo. I have confirmed that Mary Hyder was christened 4th May 1760 and this is included in two of my source records.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
For what it is worth I looked at the Allegation and Bond prepared for the Licence when William Matson married Mary Hyder.  ???

The basic information was,
William Matson  of Deal, Baker and a Bachelor aged 21 and upwards.
Mary Hyder of Deal a Spinster aged 21 and upwards.

Not much help, I am afraid.  :(

Tony

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RedTonyT.
Every little bit helps.

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if you had found the birth/baptism of William Matson yet?  If not, have you considered the one born at Ripple and baptised on 27 January 1757 the son of John and Anne nee Upton?  ???

This William had siblings as follows:-
John 1747 baptised at Walmer 5 July
Elizabeth 1749 Walmer
Anne 1750 Walmer
Robert 1751 Walmer
Mary 1753 Ripple
Mary 1754 Ripple
William himself as above
Sarah 1759 Ripple
Susanna 1762 Walmer
Hannah 1765 Walmer

I also found the following Settlement Certificate,

John Matson and wife Ann, and John Matson their son, from Ripple 1 Sep 1747 to Walmer.

Not overly familiar with such, but somebody may be able to explain the timing!  ???

Whether the marriage date has any particular significance but John Matson married Anne Upton on 27 June 1747 at St Leonard’s Church, Deal by Banns.  :-\

Tony  :)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 December 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks redtonyt.
Looks like this William is one of them.
However the one I really want to confirm is the one born in 1800. At the moment I believe him to be recorded at St Mary's Dover as the son of William Finch and Susanna.
Finch was William’s Fathers name and the St. Marys, Dover record (2nd March 1800) of the christening of William son of William Finch and Sussanna, I believe refers to Susanna Matson (1780-1856) who later married a William Doves in 1803.
Matson was his Mothers name. He was brought up as Matson and added Finch when he was told who his father was.
Tithes for Alkham (1830s/1840s) show William Matson as a tenant farmer of Peter Lane Fector. Also William Finch as Owner Occupier of nearby Malmains Farm.
The Finch family was near neighbours of the Matsons. William Matson and William Finch had nearby farms at Barham and Alkham. The Will of George Finch of Dover, gent. dated 26th May 1684 (probate 3rd November 1684) refers to “Friend John Matson the younger of Dover”.
The marriage record of 1803 records William Doves of Buckland and Susan Matson spinster of this parish (e.g. Whitfield).
The 1841 census shows Sarah Doves as a 60-year-old Grazier and having 4 Matson children, Alice (11), William (8), Jane (5) and George (3) living with her.
The 1851 census shows Susanna Doves, a widow aged 73, living next door to the William Matson family at Drelingore. With Susanna are 3 Matson grandchildren. Alice, Jno (John) and Mary. There is also a William Hills a 69 -year-old widower who is recorded as a Servant with occupation Labourer and born Alkham.
No record found in 1861 census or of any Dove(s) at Guston in 1841 census.

There are other records which seem to confirm this William Finch Matson as the illegitimate son of William Finch and Susanna Matson but I'll probably never know for certain.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 December 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.
I've lost touch with this branch for a while and I think you were referring to the William Matson who married Margaret Tregenoe on the 9th June 1698 at Deal or Ripple which I discovered in the Parish records held at Folkestone library. William is recorded as a batchelor of Deal and Margaret as a spinster of Deal.
I haven't been able to discover who either of their parents were, but it does look as though there may be a link to the Deal/Ripple area where we have been looking.
I will try searching for Margaret again as her name is uncommon and something may show up.
Firstly I will post thus with Margaret Tregenoe in the title to see if anyone else in our. community has anything.

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 December 14 15:55 GMT (UK) »
William Matson married Margaret Tregenoe at Ripple on 11 June 1698. Both, as you say, are described as being 'of Deal.'
Margaret was one of 8 children born to Eleazar and Michell Tregenoe (many different ways of spelling this) on 16 Jan 1669.
There is no record of William  Matson being baptised in Deal, Walmer or Sholden so he obviously moved to Deal later.
Regards

AJ

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AJ100.
I've had a long running problem trying to identify this particular William Matson and I thought that taking a look at his wife's family and the couples children may provide some clues.
I believe that the name Tregenoe comes from the west country, probably Cornwell.
Do you have the details of the other 7 children as it may help having their names etc?
The line did go on to be millers in Deal via their son Robert. I'm wondering if William could have been a travelling miller who may have worked around the country? A long shot but worth a look.