Author Topic: Quaker marriage.  (Read 5270 times)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker marriage.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
I suppose in theory that's correct but i know of at least 3 couples in my family that were unable to marry at their place of worship and married at the registars. 

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
To make it easier to find this topic again, I have entered it under 
Quaker Marriages in the
RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)

If you click on the category marriage - on the right - you will find other topics on marriage, including several on roman catholic  and irregular marriages.

You may also find more on non-conformist marriages under Nonconformist

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
I suppose in theory that's correct but i know of at least 3 couples in my family that were unable to marry at their place of worship and married at the registars. 

The only reason would be that  for some unknown reason nobody had bothered to register the buildings as a place of public worship for marriages under the act.Perhaps  only recently some Methodists had to marry either in an established church or go to the registration office, would be more correct  :)

Stan

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
The 1898 Marriage Act  enabled non-conformist places of worship, which applied to keep their own registers,  to register marriages in the same way as clergy of the established church, without the attendance of a registrar. This brought them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had had this status since 1837. In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk