Author Topic: Felix Curran  (Read 19037 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
Felix Curran
« on: Wednesday 04 June 08 10:24 BST (UK) »
Anyone out there know anything about Felix Curran from Co.Fermanagh married Margaret McGourty.They had a son John who is my GGrandfather.He was born in 1843 or there about, not sure if there were any other children but John came to Australia before 1865. He married my GGrandmother in Australia in 1865, her name was Margaret Bell and she came from Co.Louth not sure when she came to Oz, but they were both around 22yrs old when they married. Would appreciate any info on either the Curran's or Bell's ...

Thank you Maree Curran

Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Felix Curran
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 11:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but it will be difficult to do research in Ireland without knowing where the family lived (need parish if not actual townland nit just 'Fermanagh').
Civil registration of births began 1864 so for earlier information you need to search for church records (if they exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (see above).
You might find that Australian marriage, death and birth certificates will give you more information on the family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 January 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, no further information was found from birth,death and marriages here in Australia.
But since have found through Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Inishmacsaint, County Fermanagh:
Curran           Felix             Bolusty Beg                    Inishmacsaint     Fermanagh
Curran           Felix             Drumcrow West                  Inishmacsaint     Fermanagh
We also found the following article regarding Felix Curran v Felix Curran and also sale of the property of one of these Felix Currans. Could of been catholics as we are here in Australia but......
The property is in the west end of Bundoran Co. Donegal part of the lands of Magheracar.
Documents to large to attach.

Maree

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Maree,
          I have had a look at Griffith's and have found 5 entries for Felix Curran. Four of them are most likely the same man as he has rented a house and land in Drumcrow West and rented herds houses and land with other farmers in Bolusty Beg. AS these townlands abutt one another, the farm being on lower ground and the shared land being higher ground that would make sense. The two townlands are a few miles east of Belleek.
          The other Felix rents a house and land  in the townland of Derrychulloo with several other farmers. This was a form of land holding which was dying out by the mid 19th centuary. I cannot identify the townland but I think it may now be called  Derrykillew, although I await correction. If I am correct this townland is a few miles to the North of Belleek.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 January 09 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hey,   
     Thanks very much for the further information it is great of you to look further into the Griffiths Valuation  Records, as we only have access to indexes you have told us much more. I'm doing a Genealogy trip this year to Ireland with a friend who also has Curran connections although she has traced her side back to  John Philpot Curran (master of the rolls Ireland) we are hoping to make a connection. If you can think of any other way I could find information about him before my trip please lets know.

Regards,

Maree Curran

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 January 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
See here for Griffith's Valuation (free) for all Ireland- you can search by name or place and view the actaul pages from the printed books.
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Tanks it is great to get the correct source for a web site, it will be well used.

Maree

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Maree,
          Looked in the 1796 Flax growers Register and found that the only Curran was Parrick who lived in the parish of Drumkeeran. Griffiths shows a Jane living in Montiaghroe townland ,parish of Drumkeeran. This may be a red herring but it is the earliest Curran I can find in Fermanagh.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info will think about that one.
Need to establish his death date and then may get somewhere.

Ta,

Maree