Author Topic: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead  (Read 20193 times)

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead
« on: Wednesday 04 June 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me find out what happened to the crewmen who died on the boat as it returned from Kekerton Island in 1861. They were very badly treated and a lot of them died from scurvy and inadequate food. My Gt Gt Uncle was only 17 when he died on the return trip and i have come up against a brickwall. I cannot find his death certificate. The last entry for him was on the 1851 cencus aged 7 years of age. His name was Alexander Pickard and he was born in Longside. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Google  the whalers heritage project (if you haven't already)
also ship wrecks in "Artic whalers",this one has an email address which may be of help to you.. 
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Welcome to Rootschat

A newspaper report I have sighted (Oct 1861) suggests that the 10 crew who died actually perished in the Cumberland Straits/Kitterton (Kekerton?) Island at some time during the whole of the previous winter.  For England and Wales I would suggest checking the overseas death registers but I am not sure of the procedure for Scottish deaths at sea :-\

As they were in such a remote place, I'm not sure what (if any) Canadian records there would be :-\

May we ask the source of your information/sources you have already covered?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I have just been gathering little info from our local newspaper archives. This story was kind of hushed up and there was no memorial for the men. My 2x Gt Uncle is a mystery to me as i can find no death records for him. I will try and explore the Canadian deaths and see if i can come up with anything. Which paper may I ask were you looking at?

From what i have gathered, seamen who died while whaling, were buried in very shallow ground (as the ground was frozen solid) or they were buried in barrels!. Thanks again

Anne

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

The story was in a number of newspapers nationwide - appearing to have been copied form the "Dundee Advertiser".  No mention of any names though only that 10 perished and the ten surviviors (all the crew from Peterhead) were too weak to sail their own ship back so the captains of the "Alibi" and "Arctic" (both of Aberdeen), when they came across the ship the following year, sent some of their own crews aboard to sail the "Alert" back - arriving in Peterhead on the Tuesday (October 1st?).

Casalguidi

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
There is more in "The Aberdeen Journal" (from the "Sentinel") 9 Oct 1861 ............... captain Mr Forbes MILNE (didn't hold a ticket!).  BARNETT & MITCHELL were pitched out of the boat when it was upset by a whale and not seen again July 27th 1860.  A harrowing story about how the men were mistreated by the captain ie. not rationed properly.  The names of the dead men:

John MITCHELL, New Deer 27 Jul 1860
William BURNETT, Strichen 27 Jul 1860
John WALKER, Peterhead 11 Nov 1860
John M'KENZIE, Portknockie 13 Dec 1860
William M'KENZIE, Peterhead 24 Apr 1861
Peter CAMBELL, Sutherlandshire 30 May
Alex PICKARD, Longside 3 Jun
Robert MILNE, carpenter, Peterhead 25 Jun
William NICOL, Peterhead 31 Jul

It is reported that she wintered about 20 miles equi-distant from Niatlik and New Boyen stations and was preparing to head home 23 Aug 1861.

Casalguidi :(

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 June 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Here's a link to the Aberdeen maritime museum -
http://www.aagm.co.uk/code/emuseum.asp?page=buildings_maritime_museum

There is an email address on the page, so it might be worth contacting them.  They may not have the answer themselves, but may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline alex730

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 December 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am a new user of this site.  I received a Christmas card today from a distant relative who on my behalf has been researching Alexander Low Pickard (a relative) who died in the Cumberland Strait off Baffin Island on 3 June 1861 having set sail from Peterhead the previous year.  Hilda has been researching the history of the Alert of Peterhead via the library in Peterhead and has amassed a wealth of information regarding deaths, mutinies and the unexpected return to Peterhead of the whaling boat about 18 months after leaving port. Hilda advises me that someone at the Peterhead Maritime Museum has collated all the information and is producing a booklet on the subject in summer of 2009.  I have besides traced Alexander's death certificate in New Register House, Edinburgh and have the details if required.

Let me know if my operation of this system works.

Alex730 

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 December 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

Welcome to Rootschat

That's some great "news" you have there - I'm sure Anne will be delighted (she should get notification that somebody has replied to her post on here)

Casalguidi :)