Author Topic: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead  (Read 20177 times)

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 April 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise,

Another Pickard connection! lol. My line comes in from Elizabeth B Pickard who married John Leslie. Elizabeths father William Pickard was my Gt Gt Grandfathers brother (Joseph). They were born in Longside.

Happy hunting

Anne

Offline FDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 February 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined 'Roots' as I came across a post about Inspector Fiddes who was in Penang. On further searching I came across the picture, I have a copy of this exact picture and you are correct it is the Leslie family.  Back row: Donald & William, Front Row: Isabella, Robert, Edward, John, Henry, Elisabeth, John & James Leslie.

Meetoo, I am related to Fiddes family, Robert Fiddes's sister Isabella was my great grandmother and I have been trying to find people with connections to the fiddes side of the family

FDH

Offline alex730

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 December 16 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Here is hoping that WEEZ is still in touch with this site after her last post of 6 years ago!  Anyway I thought that I would react to her picture of the Leslie's in 1908 (confirmed) - as my grandmother was 8 and is the only girl in the pic!! I am really pleased to hear that her grandfather James Smith Leslie and grandmother Jane Ann Bain had emigrated to Canada as I have been searching for James's d cert for ages. Can you please let me have details the date of date and place of death?  Also you say that you have a pic of John Leslie and Elizabeth Brown - can you please post this?  Finally anyone researching the Pickard line in Aberdeenshire may be interested to know that I have uncovered that Isabella Ann Pickard (b. 14 Feb 1870) appears to have had several illegitimate children whilst staying with her uncle George Pickard (chr 23 Aug 1846).  Details can be supplied.  Alex 730

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Alex,
I am not researcing the Pickard family but, I think there is a connecting marriage in my tree.

Is the person discussed  Elizabeth Brown Pickard was born in Cruden circa 1865 daughter of William Pickard and Isabella Smith?

If I've got this right, Elizabeth's brother was called John Brown Pickard and married Annie Sinclair.

John B Pickard and Annie Sinclair had a son named Leslie McGaughie/McGaughan Pickard who was born in Cruden 1888.
( he is entered on the 1891 census as 2yr old Jessie M Pickard, son)

Leslie M Pickard married in Paisley, Renfrewshire in 1920 and he they too emigrated to Canada.

When this couple left Scotland in 1922, they were going to the home of Leslie's older brother, Alexander Pickard  who lived in Alberta

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 December 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for bumping this thread.

Reply #4 mentions The Alibi.  I think the Captain McKinnon mentioned here

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=Vjgcg0rjwwEC&pg=PA213&lpg=PA213&dq=mckinnon+alibi+arctic+captain+penny&source=bl&ots=anIDdf5Rzp&sig=nu2W3Oj8O4TNZ2FRzQ39Bu1ndaY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAs5Wm-f_QAhXDmpQKHURrC1QQ6AEIHzAB

Could be Gordon McKinnon from Peterhead.  If the various crew hadn't known each other personally I expect they would have known their families.