Author Topic: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead  (Read 20180 times)

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whaling boat "The Alert" Peterhead
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am a new user of this site.  I received a Christmas card today from a distant relative who on my behalf has been researching Alexander Low Pickard (a relative) who died in the Cumberland Strait off Baffin Island on 3 June 1861 having set sail from Peterhead the previous year.  Hilda has been researching the history of the Alert of Peterhead via the library in Peterhead and has amassed a wealth of information regarding deaths, mutinies and the unexpected return to Peterhead of the whaling boat about 18 months after leaving port. Hilda advises me that someone at the Peterhead Maritime Museum has collated all the information and is producing a booklet on the subject in summer of 2009.  I have besides traced Alexander's death certificate in New Register House, Edinburgh and have the details if required.

Let me know if my operation of this system works.

Alex730 

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex,
I have just saw your post on here as i have not logged on for a while. I have actually met Hilda, the Peterhead Museum lady who is putting together the booklet on the "Alert" put us in touch. She is a mine of information. I would dearly love to know the details on Alexanders death certificate. I have been trying to find it myself. Alexander would have been my Gt Gt Uncle, and the family lived just 7 miles from where i live now. It would be great if you could tell me the details of the death certificate.

Many Thanks
Anne Coutts nee Pickard

Offline renard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 February 09 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
           this is all the info I have.
Alexander died aboard the Alert on3/6/1861 cause of death unrecorded he is buried at the Cumberland Straits Canada.
Jim

Offline mizhelenuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
The lady who is a mine of info on the ALERT is Fiona Riddell, Curatorial Assistant at the Arbuthnot Museum, Peterhead, and who is also a mine of info on all things concerning the history of the Peterhead Whaling fleet and arctic exploration.

The museum telephone number is:

01779 - 477778

Offline alex730

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 November 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
to Anne Coutts nee Pickard

I have received during the month of November 2009 a small booklet on the Alert of Peterhead produced by Fiona Riddell of the Arbuthnot Museum in Peterhead.  It was passed on to me from Hilda Pickard. The booklet is not in a published format but contains most of the information on the ill-fated journey of the Alert and the aftermath all as described in the Peterhead Sentinel newspaper.  Has Hilda provided you with a copy?

Also I would be interested in knowing what family history you have on the Pickards in Scotland.  My line goes back through William Piccard born about 1808 in Selby Leicestershire married on 3 Dec 1825 in Longside to Elizabeth "Lillie" Brown.  William's parents were William Pickard, soldier, and Mary Farquhar.  Elizabeth's parents were John Brown and Isabella Warrender. Although my surname is Warrender, this is not the most direct line with the Pickards.  My great grandfather John Leslie married my great grandmother Elizabeth Brown Pickard in 19 Dec 1891 at Cruden.

Alex730

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 November 09 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex,

My line is through William and Elizabeths son Joseph. Joseph would have been my 3x Gt Grandfather. He was born in Longside, and married there too.

As for William and Mary Farquhar, i am still trying very hard to find out more about them. Mary was born 21/11/1762 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire. She and William (senior) had their family in Sileby (not Selby) Leicstershire. I have come across a few possibilities as to what happened to them, but its not definite.

As for the Pickards in Scotland, they farmed in Longside and many other places too. William (1808) is buried in Longside cemetry along with wife Elizabeth. At least 2 other brothers came to Peterhead and lived here.
 I have found the grave for Robert Pickard and his family in Peterhead.

If theres anything you want to know then post me a message and i hope i can help you out.

Offline MeeToo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 November 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex & Anne

I too am related to the Pickards.  Amelia Pickard, daughter of William Pickard and Isabella G. Smith was my great grandmother and would have been a sister to Elizabeth Pickard.  I have a photograph of John Leslie & Elizabeth Pickard's gravestone  in Cruden Parish kirkyard if you don't already have it.  I also have a family group of who I suspect are John & Elizabeth with family.  Would you be able to confirm this for me?

MeeToo
Aberdeenshire: Pickard, Fiddes, Hardie, Duncan, Simpson, Angus

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 November 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meetoo,

I would love to see the photos. It would be great to put a face to the names.

Anne

Offline MeeToo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 November 09 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

This is the family group I mentioned earlier.  My aunt thought they might be John Leslie, Elizabeth Pickard and family.  The photographer was Wm Hutcheon, Tipperty, who was only there in 1911, so that must date the photo pretty accurately.

The gravestone is in Cruden Parich Churchyard.

MeeToo
Aberdeenshire: Pickard, Fiddes, Hardie, Duncan, Simpson, Angus