Author Topic: WISDOM, (All)  (Read 7647 times)

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WISDOM, (All)
« on: Thursday 20 January 05 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have been researching the WISDOM name for quite a time and always note occurrences of the surname in any of my searches.  I would be pleased to hear from anyone with similar interests, especially from the London, Sussex and Surrey areas.

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WISDOM, (All)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Jane

I have just found a Charlotte Wisdom who married into one of my lines

If you PM me I'll give you what details I have just located

Shanko
 ;D

Offline Hawtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have also been tracing my WISDOM family. However, the earliest I can get to is William Wisdom born around 1807/8 (possibly son of Thomas - if so he was born in Lambeth London in 1808). He married Sarah Summers from Wivenhoe in Essex, and they had 2 sons (William and Charles) before he died of TB in London in 1853. Both sons became Jewel case makers in London.

If anyone has any further information, or would like to know more about this family, please get in touch.

Murray

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 05 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Murray

I thought you might be interested in the following from the 1861 census (that is if you already have not found it!):

RG9/66  Folio 110  Pge 65 - 15 Castle Street East, Marylebone:
Sarah Summers, Head, Wid, Age 48, Laundress, B Worner?, Essex
Charles Summers, Son, Unm, Age 17, Jewel Case Maker, b St Pancras, Middlesex
William Summers, Son, Unm, Age 10, b Marylebone, Middlesex

There is an entry that puzzles me from the 1901 census:
RG13/2922  Folio 188  Page 35 - 8 Stockfield Road, Yardley, Worcestershire:
Edwin Wisdom, Head, M, Age 48, Jewel Case Manufacturer, b Islington, London
Alice Wisdom, Wife, M, Age 40, b Islington, London
Albert Wisdom, Son, Unm, Age 17, Wood Carver, b Marylebone, London

I feel sure that this family is probably connected with Sarah Summers but I have never managed to tie up the loose ends.  Do you know anything about this?

Look forward to hearing from you
jane7

Offline Hawtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks very much for this. The William Wisdom living in Castle Street in 1861 is indeed my great grandfather. He was still there in 1871 but moved shortly after to Shepherds Bush.

The Edwin Wisdom is indeed puzzling. Judging by the very unusual occupation and the birth location, I certainly assume He is related. Charles Summers Wisdom (who as far as I can tell established the Jewel Case Making firm), had a son Edwin but he was born in 1873. It is possible there was a third son of William Wisdom Senior born just before (or shortly after) he died in 1853. If so where was he living in 1861 when he was only 8? Also were there any other children between Charles and William?

Another mystery is who is Julia Wisdom? She reported William’s death in 1853 and was living at the same address as he was, but I have not found her in any census. In fact I have not found the family at all in the 1851 census. Most of his working life, William (snr) lived in poor tenements in the Marylebone area; in 1850 they lived at 37 Union Street and in 1853 this was 21 Bryanston Street, but were at neither address in 1851.

I have also been unsuccessful in locating William and Sarah Summers’s marriage certificate. I believe they were married around 1813 but have not located where. I have been looking in Marylebone and Wyvenhoe but maybe there is a clue in Yardley - did they have relations there?

The only possible birth I have for William is that of a William Wisdom who was christened on 10th January 1808 in St Mary, Lambeth, London, son of Thomas Wisdom and Elizabeth. But that is purely speculation at this stage.

Thanks again for your help

Murray

Offline ecochicnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • genealogical researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

I have a Wisdom, and would certainly love to find more relatives.

Wisdom, Martha b. bef 1800 Sussex (possibly Singleton)
she married James Glover in 1817 Singleton.

regards from NZ  :D
Allcocke; Allenby; Best; Binks; Brown; Carling; Coates; Cooke; Crocker; Cull; Denton; Dimmock; Elcombe; Garlick; Gentle; Glover; Green; Harness; Harvey; Hawke; Hoffman; Humble; Hutchinson; Ingleby; Johnson; Kent; Langworthy: Lawson; Lindsey; McIntosh; Manby; Morland; Marson; Osborne; Patrick; Pearse; Pepper; Porter; Quin; Revell; Rhoades; Richmond; Shears; Stevens; Thacker; Thomas; Tyler; Varndle; Waldegrave; Walker; West; Westgarth; Whaller; Willey; Williams; Wilson; Wisdom; Wood; Woodliffe

Offline romeo_and_yoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
I am a direct descendent of a branch of the Wisdom family. This is what I know (unfortunately not much):

1881 Census
Name: Julia Annie Wisdom
B: 1863 Hampshire Eng.
Father: William Robert Wisdom
Mother: Ellen Wisdom
Civil Parish: Bethnal Green
County: London
Address: 35 Old Ford Rd
Household Members: William Wisdom (46), Ellen Wisdom (40), Julia Wisdom, Charles Pharo (21)

We know that Julia married Wilfred Francis Heath and had three children, then remarried a James George Coppens. She died in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa on Jan. 31 1935.
That is all my knowledge and connection with the Wisdom family. Hopefully someone can help me makes more connections!

Romeo, New Zealand
Bownass, Tedcastle, Hogarth, Lecky, Wilkinson, Willan, Heath, Wisdom, Wise, Upton, Robinson. England, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand.

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romeo

It would seem that Julia A Wisdom was born in Farnham, Surrey.  I had a very quick look and could not find her birth registration, but the following looks a promising entry for her parent's marriage:

Farnham 1866 Q3 2a 79 - William R Wisdom married Ellen Chandler.

I hope this helps.

Jane

Offline SopranoMom

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
Jane

I have just found a Charlotte Wisdom who married into one of my lines

If you PM me I'll give you what details I have just located

Shanko
 ;D

I would LOVE to PM you, but I don't seem to be able to.  Perhaps because I am new?  Regardless, I have a Charlotte WISDOM, b 1785, married 20 Oct 1814 to my GGGG Grandfather, Thomas LAUNDER in Sussex. They emigrated to Ohio, USA.  If you still check in on this nearly 10-year-old topic, and if it looks to be the same Charlotte WISDOM, I'd love to hear about it.