Author Topic: Archibald McDermid and Mary Tyson  (Read 5566 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald McDermid and Mary Tyson
« on: Friday 06 June 08 16:16 BST (UK) »
Marriage took place in Muckairn on 2 Jan 1814

Is anyone researching these family ?

Offline NZMacGibbon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McDermid and Mary Tyson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 18 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sancti, I am researching Mary Tyson (d Kingshouse 1872) & Archibald McDiarmid (d Midmuir, Kilmuir 1870). 
They were my maternal g'grandmother (Rachel*)'s parents; and also the g'parents of my maternal g'father (John McGibbon)'s sister's husband John McDiarmid (b1867; father =James McD.*, mother = Janet McCallum**)!

Archd & Mary's chn incl'd: Jean (b1817-<1823), John (b1819-), Margaret (b1821), Jean (b1823), Ann (1823-), James* (1827-, m'd Janet McCallum** b1829 Killin), Thomas (1829? &/or 1831?), Rachel* (b1833 Muckairn; m'd John McDougall 1862, Blytheswood, Glasgow; d NZ 1914), & Arch'd. 

1851 census: at Midmoor/Midmuir= Archibald (shepherd), Mary, Rachel* (dau,18) house servant, Arch'd (son,12) herdboy, Donald McKay (g'son, 2, b.Glasgow)

Rachel McDiarmid* m'd John McDougall (bc1828 Luss).
They had 5 chn, b Arrochar and Glasgow, incl Katharine Anne (my maternal g'mother, b1869 Glasgow) who m'd John McGibbon b1865, Knap, Cowal.
John McGibbon's mother, Mary McCallum**b Killin, was Janet's** sister, making James McDiarmid* his uncle by marriage, and he and John McDiarmid (b1867) 1st cousins through their McCallum mothers, while John McD and Katharine Anne were McDiarmid 1st cousins. Then John McD married John McG's sister, so it's a tangled web!

Also, Ann[e] Tyson (my g'mother's g-g-grandaunt; Mary's Tyson's aunt?) had interesting links to Wm Wordsworth & his siblings. She boarded the boys when they were at school, is the "old Dame" of The Preludes, and owned the dog Wordsworth walked when he returned to visit her in the Lake District.

Hoping this is useful and love to hear from you sometime to share more findings,
Anne NZ

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McDermid and Mary Tyson
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
hi I've just picked up on this

there may be a connection with Donald Mckay the 2 year old lodger from 1850 may be  my  paternal grandmother's maternal grandfather b glasgow 1850

grandma Mary Blain Stevenson always reckoned she.d married a second cousin ....but grandad Thomas Macdermid b1903 direct ancestors came from lanarkshire
I have come across an Archibald Mcdiarmid with that spelling as a father in law to one of my grandads elder brothers   andrew kyle Mcdermid b 1891 m Elizabeth McDiarmid in 1920

could her father have been Archd  Mcdiarmid herd boy on your 1851 census ?
i found an archibald macdiarmid at 44 deans av cambuslang on electoral rolls in 1930 + registering my great uincles death at Borgie crescent 1964 but that would have to be next generation down

my ancestor Donald Mckay was the son of another Donald Mckay and Mary Hart but i dont know his grandparents names
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson