Author Topic: Re: Rents/Tenants Perth  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rents/Tenants Perth
« on: Tuesday 03 June 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there was Rental tax for homes back round 1800 in Perth.  Where would I find these and did they keep names on records.   Any information would be a help, Annie

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I can't really answer your question but you could have a look at the catalogues and indexes of the National Archives of Scotland website. It seems to be working much faster these days.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 08 03:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I will try that, Annie

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
In 1800 there were different feudal superiors in charge of certain parts of the town. Some areas were feued out, others given out on leases. I've just studied the role of the King James VI Hospital in Perth for the 19th C for a university dissertation and have had access to chartularies from 1759 to 1900 and rental books from 1848 to 1900 which are held by the hospital to this day. As a result of his I have several Excel databases filled with entries from the records. From 1569, the Hospital basically managed all the lands that used to be in the hands of monasteries before the Reformation in 1560 - so a lot of the south west of the town, all the Blackfriars area, some of Craigie, some properties around the Kirk etc. I'll happily do a look up if you have a name?

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
Chris,
You wouldn't have come across any Torbet/Torbit families in your research would you, they were the ones who went to Kildare as part of the response to the newspaper ads, which you kindly sent me over the last few days.

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rory,

I'm afraid not, I've checked the KGVI Hospital records and my weavers database, and no sign of the family in either. The Ancestry.co.uk site has a newspaper card index for Perth, and there are dozens of Torbets, Torbits and Tarvet entries, but none for the 19th C, they are all much later.

Sorry! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris.  The names I am looking for are James Gowan, Isabella Sorlie, their children Margaret, John, James, Elizabeth, Christian b 1802 and Mary b 1906.
Christian is my line and she married Peter Fisher.
Thank you, Annie

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 04:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry Chris, Trying to hurry this, Mary was born in 1806.  Think they lived in Pomarium in Perth. Not sure if this was a place or not. Annie

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 09:15 BST (UK) »
North side of High Street below the Cross: Dr James Gowans, was listed as a proprietor 1862 - 1869: ground annual payment due to the hospital was 1s 11d

1870 - 1876 he had other properties. The same property in High Street, he's now listed as James Gowans, druggist.  Also two properties on Skinnergate, east side - one with ground annual to hospital of 1s 8d, and the other at 3s 4d.

1877-1884 - Dr Gowans, High Street, same property, and again two in Skinnergate, where he is listed as James Gowans Esq. Also 1885-1892. Same in 1893-1900, though additional property for a Jas Gowans found at St. Paul's Chapel Yard, where he is recorded as a feuar.

A William Gowans Esq, druggist, is listed as a feuar of a lot on the former Hospital Gardens, located at King Street. The Instrument of Sasine was granted in 1864.

A property at Carr's Croft, Craigie (v. near to Pomarium) was let to James Gowans after 1860. Coincidentally, the propety had been for a considerable time before this leased to my five greats uncle John Paton by the Weavers Incoproration, who had the property on a 50 years lease from the Hospital until 1848. The Carrs Croft cottages were in a terrible state at the end of this lease, and much of the area was redeveloped under a new feuing plan by the Hospital when they regained sole superiority over it. Annual rent £4.

Don't know if any of these are yours!

Chris