Author Topic: O'Neill Family from Cratloe Co Clare  (Read 15812 times)

Offline lyn4_7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Luv Labs
    • View Profile
O'Neill Family from Cratloe Co Clare
« on: Saturday 07 June 08 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am looking for any information on the O'Neill Family from Cratloe, Co Clare.  James & his wife Bridget nee McMahon.  James born c1785 and Bridget born c1800. 

They migrated to Australia with their children Mary c1820 , Catherine c1821,  Bridget c1826,  Patrick c1828 & James c1830 aboard the Adam Lodge in c1840.  There possibly were more children left in Ireland.

Mary married Michael Moloney in 1841, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lyn
BAKER - Braintree,Essex & Australia
ROBERTS -  Durham,Sunderland Bishopwearmouth
HOWE -  Herrington, Durham
FIRTH -  Mudgee, Australia
BELL -  Durham, England & Australia
LOWNDS -  Durham
MOLONEY -  Ireland to Australia
MALEY -  Ireland to Australia
COSTELLO -  Ireland to Australia
RYAN -  Ireland to Australia
NEWMAN -  Ireland to Australia

Offline Ditch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill Family from Cratloe Co Clare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
My Great-grand father was James O'Neill born 22.4.1832, Clare Castle, Clare. That's all I know and he didn't go to Australia!, but married another O'Neill (Margaret) in Canada.

So I suspect not same family.
best wishes,
Ditch1
O'Neill - Co. Clare, Ireland, Framlingham, Bury-St-Edmunds, Halesworth.
Vice, Vyce - Framlingham.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 14:19 GMT (UK) »
For what its wortk;
O'NEILL, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: 1st Battalion. Age at death: 26. Date of Death: 06-November-1914. Service Number: 2960. Born in Kilkerrin, County Clare. Enlisted in Ennis, County Clare. Killed in Action. Supplementary information: Son of John and Mary O'Neill, of Kilkerrin, Labasheeda, Co. Clare. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 11. Memorial: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

Image 14
O’NEIL/O'NEILL, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Unit: 21st Battalion. Age: 24. Date of Death: 18-May-1917. Service No: 6073. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Ellen O'Neill (nee Melican), of Lismuse, Lisdeen, Co. Clare. Born, Kilkee, County Clare. Occupation on enlistment, Labourer. Age on enlistment; 23 years 6 months.Next of kin details; (father) Mr Patrick O’Neill, Lismore, Lisdeen, County Clare. Place and date of enlistment, Bathurst, 29-February-1916. while living at 40 Elizabeth Street, Redfern, N.S.W. Weight,  lbs. Height, 5 feet, 8 1/2  inches. Complexion, dark. Eyes, blue. Hair, dark brown. His records seem to insist that his name be spelled with only one L. Died of gunshot wounds to his back at No 9 General Hospital, Rouen, France.Grave or Memorial Reference: P. II. O. 2A. Cemetery: St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen in France.

O’NEILL, PATRICK.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers.   
Unit;8th  Battalion(SDGW) 1st Battalion (CWGC). Date of Death:09-September-1916. Age at Death,26. Service No:5571.  Enlisted in Ennis while living in Feakle, County Clare.  Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of William O'Neill, of Ballylongford, Co. Kerry. Grave or Memorial Reference:A.26. Cemetery: Queant Communal Cemetery British Extension in France.

Offline Ditch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Enfield, any information is helpful.

Mary.
O'Neill - Co. Clare, Ireland, Framlingham, Bury-St-Edmunds, Halesworth.
Vice, Vyce - Framlingham.

Offline vodafone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Ciaran O'Neill and I have just started to research my family tree. My grandmother was Sarah O'Neill from Cratloe Co. Clare born in 1903, her father was Corneilius O'Neill born 1869 who had a brother called Solomon  2 years younger,their father was called Martin O'Neill, and his father was called Connor O'Neill. I remember my father telling me that he thought he had relatives in Australia.
Look up the Irish census returns for 1911, and 1901  they are on line and freeand you will find details of the O'Neill families in Cratloe and Co.Clare, at that period. so we may be related. If you need more information contact me at my email adress which is :(*) and good luck with your search and please keep me informed of any info you may have and I will do the same with you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lain24

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 10 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn,

I don't have any information on the O'Neil family, however I am descended from the same Maloney family that Mary O'Neil married in to (Michael Maloney 1841 Sydney).

I am happy to share information on the Maloney family if you would like.

Regards,

Lainie

Offline KathyM321

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I would like to exchange more information on your O'Neill line please.
It looks like your Cornelius and my Grandmother Margaret were brother and sister.   I have him in my tree born 1869 yet I don't know what happened to him.
Margaret's father was Martin O'Neill and mother was Mary Devitt, They had 14 children, so I am not showing a Solomen, as I didn't have a complete count and names.   His father was Connor O'Neill according to the marriage record in Ennis.
Sincerely,
Kathleen

Offline phoenix2605

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 19 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lyn
I stumbled on Rootschat just today looking for information regarding the O'Neill (my maternal side of family tree). My 3rd great grandparents were James and Bridget.
A distant cousin of mine has provided much of the connections for our O'Neill line. Happy to share more information should you require. Am also wanting to know more about the O’Neills from the Cratloe county area as I intend visiting there later this year.
Regards,
Ken

Offline phoenix2605

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill Family from Cratloe Co Clar
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 19 05:29 GMT (UK) »
For others that responded here:
James and Bridget had a number of children but not sure of accuracy as there are duplicate use of names with different birthdates but they tended to do that back then, mostly with the loss of a child early on.

Patrick (c1800-?1901), Catherine (1805-1815), John (1807-?1808), Martin (1808-1860), Michael (1809-1818), Maria? (1811-1900), Catherine (1816-1900), Michael (1817?-1896), John (1819-1898), James F (1822-1895), Bridget (1823-1900), Patrick (1827-1901).
James F took his family to Broken Hill where my family links come in.