Author Topic: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond  (Read 35793 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond
« Reply #45 on: Friday 02 June 17 07:03 BST (UK) »
Donald Moon 19   Cicel Setton   Wester Balrobie   Margaret   12 Dec 1797
Donald Moon   Cicel Setton   Wester Balrobie   Christian   25 Dec 1800
Donald Moon   Cicel Setton   Wester Balrobie   John   17 Aug 1802
Donald Moon   Cicel Setton   Balrobie   Ann 20   5 Apr 1807
Donald Moon   Cicel Setton   Balrobie   Alexander   born 7 Aug 1807
Donald Moon   Cicel Setton   Balrobie   Janet   6 Mar 1810

Donald Forbes 21   Christian Moon   Easter Balrobie   Donald 30 Mar 1798
Donald Forbes   Christian Moon   Easter Balrobie   Isabel 20 Nov 1799
Donald Forbes   Christian Moon   Moulin parish   Janet    27 Jun 1806 Moulin OPR

19 Donald Moon in Wester Balrobie and Cecil Setton in Pitdorny, Dull, married 7 Feb 1797.
20 The baptismal record for Ann Moon was not entered until after December 1810 and as it notes that she was born 5th and baptised 8th April, this cannot refer to 1807. Probably, she was born in 1805.
21 Donald Forbes in Easter Balrobie and Christian Moon in Wester Balrobie, married 2 Jun 1797.

Christian probably is Donald's sister, which may help with finding Donald's parents.

There are earlier Moons at Balrobie if you want them.

The Balinuarain Moons may be the family that you are looking for as they had moved from Glentilt to Raon dow (Rindou) by 1788

Offline Ann Witzig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Very interested to see this thread. I have only recently started trying to look into my Setton (Seaton) line from Blair Atholl and came across the borenich site which is certainly helpful and which I will explore further. It appears I should take Setton/Seton/Seaton as being interchangeable? My 4xGt Grandmother was Cecil/Cicel Setton of Pitdorny, Dull who married Donald Moon of Wester Balrobie, Blair Atholl in 1797. I am trying to figure out the parents on both sides, a possible sister Mary Setton (also listed at Pitdorny) married George Stewart in 1797. The Moon name seems quite common in the area too, I am trying to sort out the different households in my head and it is hurting!  Cicel Setton and Donald Moon's daughter Christian Moon married a Logie in Little Dunkeld and moved down river to Errol in the 1850s where many of their descendants still live. A sister Margaret Moon married an Alexander Seaton at Moulin and I have matched with a descendant of theirs on Ancestry DNA. Looks like she died young and he remarried.
Any suggestions welcome.
Many thanks
Nicola

Hello Nicola,
Margaret Moon and Alexander Setton (later Seaton) were my great great grandparents. My great grandfather, Donald, was her only son. born at Lyconlach (many names for this place!) in 1820. He was married to Elizabeth Louisa Robertson, and had many children. She died in Edinburgh. He then marries my great grandmother, Jessie Wylie, and lived at the White Hart Inn in Edinburgh, where their two sons, Donald and Robert (my grandfather) were born. They later moved to Easter Rhynd on the Tay River estuary. Both sons eventually immigrated to America. My family came through Canada, then settled in Michigan, in Flint. Donald's family is still in Michigan, I believe.
Interesting, though - Alexander Seaton, and his second wife, Catherine McLaughlin, moved to Logeriat, near the other Robert Seaton at Tynrich Cottage. I have been trying for a long time to figure out their relationship.
My brother's DNA on the FamilySearch.org site does not yet show Seatons, so I am really interested to know if your results match his. I would love to hear from you.

Ann

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
We have quite a number of photographs of Loinconlach which were taken for the descendants of the Lamont family who farmed there in the 1840s.  If you are interested contact us through the web-site so that we don't clutter up the Forum.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
Great to hear from you. I've had another post about the Seatons and Moons sitting in draft for a few weeks now but got sidetracked by present day family stuff! It does sound we might have a connection. I think I have matched on Ancestry with a descendant of Donald Wylie Seaton, Donald's son, though they hadn't done too much as yet on that branch when I messaged them. Looks like that family show up in Northern England and Northern Ireland before getting to the US? Easter Rhynd would be very near my family who had moved to Errol.

Is it the FamilyTreeDNA your brother has done? I have uploaded my raw DNA data to GEDmatch, think he can do the same? We would then be able to compare. It was quite easy but now I feel like I need a Masters in genetics! Think I will scroll through the forum about it on here.

I'll PM you if that's ok? I can always update findings that might be useful to others in due course.
Kind Regards
Nicola
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline Ann Witzig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola,
Yes, Donald Wylie Seaton is my grandfather, Robert Wylie Seaton's. brother. Your (and mine!) common relation is Cecil Setton, mother of Margaret Setton, and mother-in-law of my Great Great Grandfather, Alexander Setton (Seaton). I will see if I can upload the DNA results to these other sites to get more information. This is exciting!

Thank you for responding.

Regards,
Ann

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Ann
Just adding to my tree to help follow all the Donald and Roberts! If I am understanding correctly, your Grandmother would be Elizabeth Denny?
N
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline Ann Witzig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Yes. Elizabeth Denny is my grandmother. She was born in Paisley. She and my grandfather, Robert Wylie Seaton, had 3 children - Donald (who died very young), Susan, and my father, John Wylie Seaton.

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
Did your brother upload to Gedmatch? Hope you got my message via here with my email address.
Nicola
 :)

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
troth
hi again i cant read the baptism record for margaret cameron  to where they stayed the parents i have on record are donald cameron janet reid 7/1 1763  donald and isabell stewart 13/2/1761
can you help as both dull
christina