Author Topic: Surname in question - Broggy / Brophy  (Read 7754 times)

Offline bushpoet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname in question - Broggy / Brophy
« on: Sunday 08 June 08 01:24 BST (UK) »
G'day Folks.

I have an ancestor by the name of William Broggy who fell victim to the judicial system for stealing a pig at 24 years of age and therefore sent before the bench and tried in Limerick on the 13th March 1828 and sentenced to seven years servitude.

William’s servitude was to be carried out in the colony of New South Wales and he would make the journey upon the ‘Governor Ready’, which sailed from Cork on the 21st of September 1828, under the Captaincy of John Young and reached Sydney on the 16th of January 1829.

His name was listed on the ship’s indents under Broggy.  William was five feet two and a half inches [1.59 meters] and had dark brown hair. The record shows him assigned to an Elizabeth Pitt of Richmond in Cumberland County.

He eventually obtained a Ticket of Leave in 1833, but was finally granted a Certificate of Freedom in September of 1835. The documents still showed his name as William Broggy.

William entered into a relationship with a Mary White, though no record can be found of their applying for marriage banns. A son Michael was born on the 11th of April,1839, in the county of Cumberland. He was baptised on the 17th of May 1840 by the Catholic minister, Joseph Platt. The birth was registered in Sydney in the parish of St James and now showed William’s surname as Brophy and Mary White his mother. In 1843 William and Mary again had a child, this time a daughter, but the parish is not stated. They called their daughter Margaret Brophy.

Records then showed that William Brophy died in 1844, though details on the death certificate are very limited . His age is shown as 40 years, which fits in with the age of William Broggy and The ship, ‘Governor Ready’ was recorded as to how the person arrived in the colony. Though the surname on the indents shows Broggy and not Brophy. No wife or children are recorded, which may be in holding with the theory that he and Mary did not have marriage banns.

As initially mentioned, the ‘Governor Ready’s’ ships indents show no record of a William Brophy, but that of a William Broggy. I have concluded that William Broggy and William Brophy were one and the same.

QUESTION:

Is the listing on the Indents of the Governor Ready an accurate recording of the surname or a misspelling, seeing that Williams later records show the surname Brophy.

Or was William just trying to start a new life with his partner and throwing off the link with his convict past?

Is the name surname Broggy an old established Irish Surname and what time period does it go back to.

OR

Has it been derived over the years from misspelling.

I believe there are Broggy families around the Limerick area, and no disrespect to the origin of their surname.

I just wish to know if William was a Broggy or a Brophy.

Williams story can be seen at

http://users.tpg.com.au/thegrey/Callaghans.htm#William%20Brophy

Appreciate any help or a link to any Broggy or Brophy families originating from around the Limerick District.

Merv Webster
www.users.tpg.com.au/thegrey

Brophy, Broggy, Sewell, Day, Lark, Webster, Crump

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Surname in question - Broggy/Brophy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Merv,

As far as I'm aware Broggy is not an old Irish name.

The only Broggys in Ireland listed in Griffiths Valuation were in Co. Clare in 1855.

Daniel Broggy, Derrymore, Killeely. Clare
Patrick Broggy, Derrymore, Killeely. Clare

Christopher

Offline bushpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
G'day Christopher.  Thanks for the reply mate.

Any opinion on the surname Broggy recorded on the Ship's Indents [Leaving Cork] and later in Australia the birth of his children under Brophy and his death record as Brophy.

Merv

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Merv,

I'd be inclined to agree with you ...

William Broggy and William Brophy are probably the one and same person.

Christopher

Offline bushpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
I'm  kind of left wondering if I'm chasing Broggy or Brophy back around Limerick in 1828.

Merv

Offline bushpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
Would love to hear from any families or anyone who have a connection with the surname Broggy around the Limerick area.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure how familiar you are with research in Ireland but since you started this topic there have been a number of major developments.

The 1911 census is now online free at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Too late for your needs but it does show one Alice Broggy in Clare (which is just up the road from Limerick).

Also, the Civil register is now available free at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

It shows 50 results for Clare/Limerick but again, a little too late for your needs as it starts in 1845 for Establishment and Registry Office marriages and for all other records in 1864.

To find your William you will need to consult church records. The IFHF site at http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/ might work for you but beware, it is very expensive at 5 Euro per view and it is not a complete record. On a quick viewing I'm not seeing any likely matches.

What grounds have you for believing that William Brophy and William Broggy are the same person?

Dara.

Offline bushpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 10 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dara.  Thanks for posting.  The inital post should explain the connection for Broggy and Brophy.

If still unclear please let me know.

Merv

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 10 04:12 BST (UK) »

Is the listing on the Indents of the Governor Ready an accurate recording of the surname or a misspelling, seeing that Williams later records show the surname Brophy.

Or was William just trying to start a new life with his partner and throwing off the link with his convict past?

Is the name surname Broggy an old established Irish Surname and what time period does it go back to.

OR

Has it been derived over the years from misspelling.

I believe there are Broggy families around the Limerick area, and no disrespect to the origin of their surname.

I just wish to know if William was a Broggy or a Brophy.

This is very confusing.

In answer to your first question I would have to say that the accuracy of Ship's records were just about as accurate as any record that was transcribed at that time.

Your speculation on William changing his name to cover his convict past is plausible but still speculation.

The name Broggy goes back to the start of Church Records so there's no reason to believe that it wasn't around for a long time before that. If you check the IFHF link I posted earlier you can see that for yourself.

No, it hasn't been derived from mis-spelling. If you check the current phone directory you will find it still in the Limerick/Clare area. http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/

If you could find a Court Record of William's conviction in 1828 that would answer all your questions.

Good luck with your search.

Dara.