Author Topic: Link: History of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland  (Read 42768 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
There I go, snookering myself again...! :)

Well, if I'm uttering "No Surrender" as an Orange war cry, it's a case of "you Orange bigot!"

If I'm uttering "No Surrender" as Connolly's last words, it's a case of "how dare you utter the words of a saint, you Orange bigot!"

Either way, I can't win...! :( lol

Still, she makes a nice chilli con carne...!:) hah

On William III, it's much more complicated, the order was not founded in 1690, but many years later, and was originally the Orange Society. An interesting fact is that William III's personal guards were the Dutch Blues, a Catholic regiment, and William went to the Boyne with the authority of the Pope, in the form of a papal bull. The pope feared the authority of the Catholic king Louis, so William was a handy instrument for him. King Billy actually granted a degree of toleration to Catholics and Presbyterians after Aughrim. It was the Irish parliament, dominated by the English descended aristocracy which overturned it all. There's a lot of myth about King Billy. I made a documentary about the statue of him in Carrickfergus as a university project in 1992. The council had made an image of him without him being on his trusty white horse. The locals went ballistic. The great majority weren't interested in fact, just their cosy wee propaganda based image of him riding off to the Boyne. One thing you don't do in Ulster is mess with people's symbols...! :)

Incidentally, the Ku Klux Klan was founded in American along similar lines to the Orange Order, long before the slavery issue came to dominate their agenda. I met the Klan chief about eight years ago in Pulaski, Tennessee, for an STV documentary I was working on, and he handed me a copy of the Declaration of Arbroath and a King James bible as items to explain the 'legitimacy' of his cause.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
Chris,
           You'll be telling me next, the Masons look after the Pope's money!

James.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
Ah now, don't be putting words into my mouth! lol :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:00 BST (UK) »
Chris,
           Do I detect a note of Masonic secrecy here?

James

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
No, though my granny was in the Eastern Star! :)

Chris

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
Chris,
           I would never joing anything that would have the likes of me as a member.

James

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
No, though my granny was in the Eastern Star! :)

Chris

I had a dodgy curry in there once  ;D

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 15:29 BST (UK) »

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 16:06 BST (UK) »
Sancti,
             Unfortunately the man in the street has no interest in, or understanding of these matters, but is happy to support the Fat "Bs" who daily toil on our behalf, attending state dinners, junkets to various countries, with expense accounts larger than your annual salary, and bank balances to match, topped up with Trusts, Property and other instruments created by themselves to hide such gains from public view.  All they need do is spout a few phrases of hatred against the opposition at the next election, and their way of life can safely continue.

But give the same man in the street the words to a Sectarian song and he will learn it for the next game.

James.