Author Topic: Unknown DNA Markers  (Read 972 times)

Offline jamesleesaunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown DNA Markers
« on: Monday 09 June 08 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Please can anyone help with a DNA Marker question?

I have collecting a number of Y-DNA Results from a number people with the surname 'Saunders'. I have been collecting them from different sources including Family Tree DNA, Y-Search and Y-Base.

Just one of the results (http://www.ybase.org/full.asp?RecordID=WMSD1) I have collected from Y-Base had results which included markers which I did not know about and have not seen used on other sites or databases:

DYS441   
DYS445   
DYS452   
DYS461 (GATA A7.2)   
DYS462   
DYS463   
GATA A10   
DYS635 (GATA C4)   
GGAAT1B07

Can anyone tell me whether these are possibly from a non-standard DNA test or whether they are AKA's for other well known marker names?

Thank you,

Jim

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown DNA Markers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 June 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I don't know anything about DNA Markers, but thought I'd just say hello and welcome to Rootschat.  Hope you get an answer soon from someone more knowledgeable than me.

Lizzie

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown DNA Markers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 June 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Welcome to Rootschat.

I have at hand the printout of my son's Y chromosome DNA test and see that it includes all except CGAAT 1B07. It has separate entries for DYS 635 and GATA C4.
The test was done by Genebase who conduct tests for different numbers of markers and reveal only a portion of them depending on the level of subscription. For a 44 marker test there were values for three of the markers you mention.

The markers are diagrammed to connect to various segments of the chromosome and there are four different sites which are represented by these markers.

I realize I have not directly answered your question but hope that this supplemental information will help to some degree.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall