Author Topic: Elusive Great-grandfather  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Elusive Great-grandfather
« on: Wednesday 07 April 04 03:04 BST (UK) »
 :-\

My 2nd great-grandfather,George Fisher,reminds me of the Scarlet Pimpernel - he's a very elusive gentleman.
I know everything about his children, I even know his parents and grandparents - but of the man himself? - very little.
I did catch him on the 1871 census, aged 28, with a wife and two children. On the 1881 census his wife is with somebody else and has two more children - George has disappeared. I can find no record of his death - in fact his job discription keeps changing on the marriage  certificates of his four children. I can find no record of him ever being married.
I thought I would be clever and catch him in Deeping St James, aged eight, on the 1851 census - the family, who were there in 1841, had moved to places unknown following his birth. Oh woe is me!
I have tried to find them by checking for births, deaths or marriages - no luck. Anybody got any idea how I can possibly trace them?
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindaFromOz

• RootsChat Senior
  • IN QUEST OF THE UNKNOWN
    • View Profile
Re:Elusive Great-grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 04 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron

Have you tried the Historical Directories you never know you might get lucky.

www.historicaldirectories.org/

Kind regards
Linda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 04 23:43 BST (UK) »
  ;D

Hi LindaFromOz,
thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the Historical Directory - I am fairly new at this game. George has become my Holy Grail -a mystery man who is never where he is supposed to be. One of these days I might get lucky.  ;)
Regards from fellow Aussie
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 April 04 22:56 BST (UK) »
Aaron,

Could this be your man on the 1881 census - you mention the family being at Deeping St. James so I'm assuming this was his birthplace?

William Oldham, head, 33, b. Terrington Norfolk, general labourer
Eliza Oldham, wife, 33, b. Pentney Norfolk
George Oldham, son, 7, b. Guisbro York
Lavinia Oldham, daughter, 4, b. Brotton York
Frederick Oldham, son 2, b. Newington York
GEORGE FISHER, boarder, unm, age 38, b. Deeping St. James Lincoln, general labourer

30 Glasgow Street, Newington, York
RG11 4751/126

Hope this is of some help.

Sasha

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 04 00:42 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hi Sasha,

I can't thank you enough - the birthplace and age are correct and the fact that he is recorded as unmarried would account for me being unable to find a record of his marriage.
Because he has a wife, Caroline Fisher, on the 1871 census for Yorkshire, and on all four of his childrens birth certificates she appears as Caroline Fisher, formerly Pitts made me feel that he had to be married.
I think this is him - but I don't suppose I can prove it :'(.
Many thanks :-*
Aaron
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland