Author Topic: Arthur Parton Stottesdon, Shropshire Birth record request  (Read 8422 times)

Offline MarshallDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Parton Stottesdon, Shropshire Birth record request
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 June 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for those responses. I don't think the Arthur born in Wolstanton is my Arthur, even though the date and Mother's name  adds up. My Arthur is consistently living with his mother in Cleobury Mortimer and he married an Elizabeth, not a Mary.  So it seems that Arthur was most likely illegitimate, and Elizabeth Parton was her real name.  I suspect that she was the daughter of this George and Mary Parton seen in the 1951 census, as she is then living with mother Mary in 1961.  However I can't find any record of birth for her around 1821 in that parish.  I've been mostly looking on Ancestry, which i have a subscription for, and the FreeBMD, and Family History IGI.  Does anyone know where I can find other birth/marriage records online for this area or do I have to send away for them from the town records office? Will the IGI for Stottesdon ever be updated for later than 1812?
And yes, I am sure that Arthur is Elizabeth's son as I had all that info passed down through my own family sources.  No mention that he was illegitimate of course.  Seems unlikely that I'll find the real story of Arthur's father. So now perhaps I will just concentrate on verifying Elizabeth's parents and their background.

Thanks, jackie

PS: Thanks Valda for pointing out the middle name "Massie" clue.  That's definitely something for me to persue, especially since I don't know a lot about the widow Elizabeth Gittins either! I found a marriage for a Job Gittins and Elizabeth Mapie in Bridgnorth in 1851, but now can't find anything more for an Elizabeth Mapie!  Perhaps it was really Massie?  Anyway, thanks again.
Marshall, Manea, Cambridgeshire

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 June 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth Gittins 1871

1871 RG10/27739 folio 64 page 3

Stottensdon

Elizabeth Gittins age 37 widow wheelwright Malster Sidbury Shropshire
Elizabeth dau age 11  children born Stottesdon
Job son age 10
May J dau age 7
William son age 5
Jeremiah son age 2
William Hall boarder age 25
Henry Massie boarder age 21 Malster  Alvery Shropshire
Maria price servant age 16

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 June 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
1861 Rg9/1847 folio 71 page 5 Stottesdon Shropshire

Job Gittings age 36 Carpenter and Malster Stottesdon Shropshire
Elizabeth age 29 wife Sidbury Shropshire
Elizabeth dau age 1 Stottesdon
Job son age 1 month Stottesdon
Sarah Breachwood age16 unmarried servant
John Jones age 17 Carpenter
Thomas Beddoes servant
Charles Breachwood boarder age 28 mar Carpenter

1851 H0107/1986 folio 43 page 12 Sidbury Shropshire reg district bridgnorth

Elizabeth Massie age 54 head widow farmer of 116 acres Prees Shropshire
Joseph son age 23 farmers son children all born Sidbury
Mary dau age 21
Elizabeth Massie dau age 19 Sidbury Shropshire
Margaret dau age 17
Samuel son age 14
Jane dau age 10
Henry Palmer age 19 servant

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 June 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
Wow. That's fabulous Pam! Thank you so much for finding that.

Jackie

Offline elen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Jackie - how did you get on with history on Elizabeth Parton, if you think she is the daughter of George & Mary - I have further back on them as I am from the line of their son Joseph.

From the Stottesden film - Joseph has a sister Elizabeth - Baptised  25 Oct 1818

elen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elen!  Yes, I have decided that Elizabeth is the daughter of George and Mary, just based on logical deduction.  I had not been able to find a baptism for her but if you have it that would prove it to me even more!  I have a whole list of children born to George and Mary, and I have been able to go back pretty far on the Parton side.  I think Mary's last name was Tomkins, but I'm not sure about farther back on her side.  I'll send you my email in a private message and we can compare notes.

Jackie

Offline jwalsh98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 November 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

Were you ever able to find a solid answer that you were confident with? I found a few family trees that have Benjamin Parton and Elizabeth Ward as his parents but I am not confident with it. The family tree that we have at the house stops with Arthur Parton who is my 3rd great grandfather.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm certain Arthur is not the same Arthur as the one born to the couple Benjamin and ELizabeth.  I believe his mother Elizabeth Parton was unmarried.  She was the daughter of George and Mary Parton living in Stottesdon.  I finally sent away for Arthur and Elizabeth Gittings' marriage certificate but that has just created more questions.  I can't figure out how to attach it so you can see. Maybe I'll try sending it in a message to you. There is a middle name that I feel could be the true last name.  I think it says William Stather or Stother Parton, but it's hard to read.  The witnesses are his cousin Alice Margaret Parton and either Alice's father (also Arthur's cousin), or Arthur's Uncle who is Elizabeth's older brother William Parton. They lived in that same parish in Kidderminster where they got married.  I'm not sure which William Parton is the witness, but maybe he was pretending his Uncle William was his father???  So it's still a mystery....

Arthur is also my 3rd gr. grandfather, by way of Albert Arthur.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Ok I can't seem to attach any kind of file. If you want to see the marriage certificate you can pm me your email I can do it that way.

Jackie