Author Topic: Devon House of Mercy  (Read 32073 times)

Offline Theatre Royal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devon House of Mercy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 November 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I found some images in a booklet about Bovey Tracey  . Looks like the place was run on similar lines to those in Ireland. Sisters of Mercy were originally from Cork in Ireland so Irish Catholic and terrifying I imagine

Can you tell me which booklet this article was in? If available i would like a copy, or at least read it if it in a library.

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 November 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Theatre Royal,

I don't know which booklet Slightlyfoxed refers to, but I do have an article about Devon House from a family history magazine which I can send you if you pm me your email address.

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Theatre Royal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Morning Aks
Apparently one can only send/recieve PMs after a minimum of three postings, and as I only found this site and registered this week I have not posted three yet, but will do so and see what transpires. Thanks for your interest.

Offline Theatre Royal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Aks
A copy of this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Offline Theatre Royal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 November 11 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Any photos of the former Devon House of Mercy at Bovey tracey, Devon, would be appreciated.
Theatre Royal

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 December 11 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I found the piece I was researching
- Devon House of Mercy Bovey Tracey - I believe it is now luxury appartments
Bovey Tracey 1870

The DEVON HOUSE OF MERCY, for reclaiming fallen women, was established here in 1861, and was formally opened in a temporary residence in 1863; the foundation stone of the present building was laid by the Earl of Devon in 1865; it contains accommodation for 72 inmates, and is supported by voluntary contributions; the members of the Clewsisterhood have the management of it.

Devon House of Mercy for Reception of Fallen Women - The Bishop of Exeter, visitor; the Hon. And Rev. C.L. Courtenay, warden: Rev. F. Ensor, hon. Secretary
1902 entry
Devon House of Mercy, The Bishop of Exeter, visitor ; the Archdeacon of Barnstaple, warden ; Rev. Charles- John Penrice B.A. sub-warden ; Rev. Prebendary Harry- Tudor M.A. hon. sec. ; Henry T. Ferguson esq. & E. Harding esq.

2009   Investigations into Abuse by RC Church institutions run by priests and nuns -includes Sisters of Mercy,

Images here attached from A small booklet about Bovey Tracey - can be obtained from your local library with,- looked much like the harrowing places that were featured in the film about the Magdelen nuns  in Ireland ....?
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 February 12 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Transactions of Devon Association have an article - should be available in Devon Libraries - most keep TDA 's
 Wallace, J. 'The Devon House of Mercy at Bovey Tracey 1863-1940', Volume 133, 2001, pp. 191-216
An early outpost of the successful Clewer Sisterhood, based at Windsor, the Devon House of Mercy at Bovey Tracey took in 'fallen' women perceived to be at risk from prostitution and other vices. The 'inmates' of this Victorian institution were originally known as 'penitents'. Using documentary records and oral recollection, this paper explores the history of this Anglican reformatory which was also dedicated to education and industrial training.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline HollyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 April 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Slightlyfoxed, I came across the pictures of the House of Mercy that you have posted on this discussion and I was just wondering where you got them from?

I am doing my dissertation on the House of Mercy and I would like to include the image of the front of the building but I am unsure how to reference it as I have accessed it through this message on roots chat!

I would be very grateful if you could let me know!

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 April 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
I think if you read through the various messages you should find your answer . all i have is this
Bovey Tracey 1870

The DEVON HOUSE OF MERCY, for reclaiming fallen women, was established here in 1861, and was formally opened in a temporary residence in 1863; the foundation stone of the present building was laid by the Earl of Devon in 1865; it contains accommodation for 72 inmates, and is supported by voluntary contributions; the members of the Clewsisterhood have the management of it.

Booklet
Devon House of Mercy for Reception of Fallen Women - The Bishop of Exeter, visitor; the Hon. And Rev. C.L. Courtenay, warden: Rev. F. Ensor, hon. Secretary
1902 entry
Devon House of Mercy, The Bishop of Exeter, visitor ; the Archdeacon of Barnstaple, warden ; Rev. Charles- John Penrice B.A. sub-warden ; Rev. Prebendary Harry- Tudor M.A. hon. sec. ; Henry T. Ferguson esq. & E. Harding esq.

2009   Investigations into Abuse by RC Church institutions run by priests and nuns -includes Sisters of Mercy,

British Listed Buildings - no images
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-84482-devon-house-flats-bovey-tracey-devon

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/BoveyTracey/BoveyTraceyKelly1902.html

Culture Grid Resource
Title: The Devon House of Mercy, Bovey Tracey, 1863-1940

Creators:    Wallace, Janice;
Description:   Text covering Devon. Devon House of Mercy. Maternity services. , Northcote. History. 1836-1940 produced 2001
Format:   text/html
License:   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ -
Publisher:   Devonshire Association
Rights holder:   Devon County Council
Subject:    Northcote; Maternity services; History;
Temporal:   start=1836; end=1940;
Type:    Text;