Author Topic: Devon House of Mercy  (Read 32110 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: Devon House of Mercy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 June 08 14:04 BST (UK) »
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 June 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
I would like to add here that I have finally tracked down Martha Susannah Froude, who was in the Devon House of Mercy in 1871, on the 1861 census. Given that the 1871 census indicates that she was born in Bristol, Somerset,  I thought perhaps she might have been in this area at the time of the 1861 census, especially since the Devon House of Mercy did not open until at least 1863, I think.

Looking for orphans in Bristol on the 1861 census, I discovered that many of them were simply listed under their initials and I found :

M S F, age 9, born abt 1852, in Paignton Devon, residing in the New Orphan House Number 2 in Clifton, Bristol St James and St Paul, Gloucestershire.

It turns out that this orphanage was created by one George Müller, originally from Germany, whose biography is quite fascinating. (Thanks to Tati for finding this.) See http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/ash-01.asp and http://www.mullers.org.

I just want to mention, especially as we are in the Devon section here, that George Müller spent a few years in Teignmouth as the pastor of a church, and it is from here that he eventually moved on to step start up his orphanages (amongst other things) in Bristol which rapidly grew to taking in thousands of children based purely on voluntary, donations which he didn't even ask for directly. Pretty amazing, especially considering that he started his life as a drunkard and a cheat.

Anyway, thanks to Teignmouth and Devon for inspiring all of this!
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 June 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
I forgot to send you this. maybe of use if you want to search further.
Friends of Devon Archives FODA     http://www.foda.org.uk/main/about.htm

Devon Freeholders 1711- 1799 Parish, Village orTown

Froud, John   QS7/56/Lifton - Coryton
Froude, James   QS7/36/Ermington - Modbury, gentleman, freeholder
Froude, John   QS7/28/Ermington - Modbury , gentleman, freeholder
Froude, Robert   QS7/36/Ermington  -Modbury
Frowde, James   QS7/20/Ermington, QS7/28/Ermington - Kingston gentleman
Frowde, John   QS7/14/Ermington (2), QS7/20/Ermington (2)
John Frowde, of Frowde,Ermington- Kingstone -Church Towne, freeholder
Frowde, Robert   QS7/14/Ermington gentleman, freeholder
Frowde, Thomas   QS7/44/Ermington of Ringmore [Ringmore (near Kingsbridge)] freeholder

Ermington Parish - Kingstone [Kingston]
   Robert Frowde, gentleman, freeholder
   John Frowde, of Frowde, freeholder
   John Frowde, of Kingstone Church Towne, freeholder

Notes.    Parish of Ermington in Ermington parish and Ermington hundred. ( village not far from Plymouth just  south of  close by Ivybridge off the A 38)
   Kingston in Kingston parish and Ermington hundred.
Modbury is closer to Kingsbridge

From Genuki
GREEN, Christina. Society's Fallen Sisters: The Devon House of Mercy, Family Tree Magazine, vol. 23, no. 7, (2007) pp.39-41. [Founded "for the reception and reformation of females who have sinned against the Divine law of chastity".]
----

The Bovey Tracey Heritage
Bovey Tracey Heritage Trust
The Old Railway Station
St John's Lane
BOVEY TRACEY
Devon
TQ13 9GP
Tel:01626-834331
Email.  bovey[at]devonmuseums.net   
Charity Number 1063070.

The Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre is open at the following times.

Mon - Fri: 10.00- 12.00 : 14.00-16.00 (2 pm-4 pm)
Sat: 10.00- 12.00
Sun: Closed

If you are researching your family history and find that some of your ancestors lived in the Bovey Tracey area, the Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre would be pleased to have a copy of their details to add to the Archive at the Heritage Centre.

Similarly, if you or your family have any photographs, pictures, audio tapes, films, newspaper cuttings, artefacts, memories or experiences associated with the area, they will be of interest and copies may be added to the archive for use by researchers in future years.

Cemeteries
MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon index - see GENUKI under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

Bovey Tracey railway station was built on the west side of the town, opening on 26 June 1866. Two platforms were provided, with the main building and goods shed being on the town side of the line.

Stoke Gabrial 1850

Adams Richard, fisherman
Allamon Misses
Bowden Rev Robt. vicar, Castle Hs.
Colson Mr Wm.
Davies Jno. & Jones Jno. shoemkrs
Hales Edward, cider merchant
Hulme Rd. Parrott, Esq. Maisonette
Lambshead Mrs
Lander John, builder and vict. Albert Inn
Lander Richard, carpenter
Martin John, woolcomber
Martin John, tailor
Matthews Charles, shopkeeper
Narracott Robt. and John, masons
Narracott Roger, mason & parish clk
Parnell Wm. butcher
Rowe Wm. vict. Church House
Studdy Henry, Esq. Watton Court
Tapley Mary Ann, shopkeeper

Wyatt John, smith

FARMERS. (+ are Owners.)

+ Adams Richard, Rydens
+ Blight Wm., Watton
+ Churchward John, Stoke Hill
+ Churchward Matthew, Egglesford
+ Collings Wm. C., Portbridge
Duder John
Elliott Susan
+ Foss Wm., Sandridge Barton
Hannaford Philip
+ Jackson John Churchward, Ash
Peeke John
Searle Henry
Searle John
Widdicombe Thos. (& corn miller,) Byter Mills

best wishes
Annie
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 June 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
I guess you've got her marriage cert??
Its in Free BMDs
Marriages Mar 1880   
Froude    Martha        West Derby   GRO ref. 8b   578    
SILLITOE Joseph        W Derby                    8b      578    

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 June 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie. Yes, I have do have the marriage certificate and quite a few other things. Perhaps I should try to put a clear post indicating what I'm stuck with. Will try to do soon.

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 June 08 16:43 BST (UK) »
thought you might have. !

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 June 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
I cant figure out how to send an image via PM so Im doing it this way.
Teignmouth.
Enjoy Geneva!

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 June 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Wow, that just blows my meager image away. Magnificent!

Thanks, but I think your neck of the woods is probably much more beautiful.

Alan

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 June 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Theres nothing wrong with your image!

Teignmouth's Ok not as pretty as a lot of places, Dartmouth for instance. has lovely old medieval houses which we dont here.
The French came in 1690 and burnt the place down but dont tell anyone might not be PC!
 I take my best photos in the winter when the light is not so strong and theres are no visitors crowding the place.!!
I have a computer stuffed with photos Ive taken but I need pastures new really!.