Author Topic: Devon House of Mercy  (Read 31945 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: Devon House of Mercy
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline divingfred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. Like you Alan am not sure the real reason that girls were in BT,i cannot find out about any illegitimate children and my relative was married at 21 and then had children. It certainly looks like a very hard place to have been though what a wonderful building. I will get hold of the Emma Smith book as it sounds enlightening.
The article that slightly foxed sent looks interesting too,i will print that off and study further.
Again any other thoughts at all would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Fred

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 05 March 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a book called "The Bovey Book"  it was published in 2004 and was produced for the Heritage Centre. It has a chapter on the Devon House of Mercy. It is situated behind the parish church and is now apartments. The chapter in the book contains some photographs of the laundry and dining hall. Your library may be able to obtain a copy. I know Bovey Tracey's library has one although the library will be closed for the next three weeks or so for roof replacement.
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline divingfred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 06 March 16 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi DevonMaid,
Many Thanks for that.Just out of interest as one of the other Roots Chat members sent me a piece on the House. The title of that one is Societys fallen sisters by Christina Green. But I will look for that book.
Many Thanks

Offline Jane Church

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Also looking at a girl who was there in 1911 aged 16. Her two sisters are under a guardian and living in Taunton. In 1901 the two sisters are in Taunton Workhouse, the other one is with grandparents and father. One is sent later to Canada as a British Home Child, part of a Dr Barnardo's party.
Hard to find the one who was at Bovey Tracey but I did find a girl by the same name  on a passenger list coming back from Mauritius, occupation Chambermaid. Can't say with any certainty it is the same girl.

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 October 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I believe there are some records from the Devon House of Mercy for the year you refer to. In my case of around 1871, there is nothing, but if you search on the National Archives website, you will find some entries for the Devon House of Mercy, though these records are not held in Kew, but mainly at the Berkshire records office or sometimes by Devon archives.

Best wishes,

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Church

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 02 October 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
thank you Alan

Offline divingfred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Who is it you are looking for at the House of Mercy. My relative was a Mary Ann Barwick and I struggle to find out very much about her prior to her getting married.
Divingfred

Offline Jane Church

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Looking for a friend's ancestor , Alice Margaret Sweeting.
Always worth checking the British Home Child records- her sister was sent to Canada.
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/Pages/home-children.aspx
Thousands of "poor" and orphaned children were sent, many not orphans but from unfortunate circumstances.
There is also a facebook site for this. I was very surprised to find my great uncle was one of those children, it has never been mentioned.