Author Topic: AITKIN and HANDLEY families  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AITKIN and HANDLEY families
« on: Saturday 14 June 08 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to trace 2 families in Roxburghshire in the early 1800's - can anyone please help??

I have a George HANDLEY - born circa 1830-35 in Galashiels to William and Mary HANDLEY.

He married Ellen/Helen AITKIN (born circa 1820-30 in Jedburgh - parents Andrew and Isabella). year and place unknown - circa 1850-52.

George and Ellen had 2 children - William born circa 1852 and Mary born circa 1855, before emigrating to Australia in 1855. george's occupation on the shipping index was Weaver - his father (William)'s occupation is unknown, while Ellen's father Andrew was a Shoemaker according to her Australian death certificate.

According to the shipping indexes both sets of parents were still alive in 1855, when George and Ellen emigrated.

This couple had 3 more children in Australia, and then sadly both died in 1869, and the younger children were placed in an orphanage.

I would like to find these families roots in Scotland, and would very greatly appreciate any assistance regarding any more details on either family.

many thanks, and with high hopes!

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: AITKIN and HANDLEY families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

IGI on www.familysearch.org (free to search and view details) has some information on them. For example, this looks to be the birth details for George:

GEORGE HANDLY     Born on 11 NOV 1826/ Christening on 19 FEB 1827 at Melrose, Roxburgh
Parents: WILLIAM HANDLY and MARY WELSH

There are entries for the banns/marriage, slightly earlier than you  have:

GEORGE HANDLEY  Spouse: HELEN AITKEN    
Marriage/banns: 27 OCT 1848 Jedburgh, Roxburgh and 27 OCT 1848 Melrose, Roxburgh

Also showing on IGI is the birth of their daughter Mary on 25 JUL 1854 in Melrose, Roxburgh.

For census info on them and their family, have a look on Freecen at http://freecen.rootsweb.com which thanks to the hard work of volunteers now has a 100% coverage of Roxburgh.

Have a look at this post from Pam on RootsChat which provides an excellent background to research resources in Scotland:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

Please post back if you need any more info  :)

To see where the various parishes in Roxburgh were, have a  look at this excellent map from  scotlandsfamily.com:

www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-borders.htm

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 08 08:05 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Thank you so much for all that valuable info and links - I am so grateful!!

I have found the Aitkin family on the 1841 and 51 census. I have also tracked down George Handly and his brother on the 1851, but strangely I cannot find his wife Helen nee Aitkin in 1851.

The Handly family appear to have come from Selkirkshire - can you suggest any other resourses for Selkirkshire to help me track down the Handly family (William and Mary) as I cannot find them on the census data.

Lastly, are there any parish records I could search for these families for marriages and baptisms - according to the 1841 census Isabella Aitkin (wife of Andrew and mother of Helen) was born in England. I would like to know who she was, and find out more about Helen.

Many many thanks again
Kylie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

This looks to be George's family in 1841 - except where shown, everyone born in the county:

Willm Handley 36, weaver, b. Scotland
Mary Handley 38
George Handley 15, weaver, b. Scotland
Elizth Handley 12, b. Scotland
Thos Handley 9
Wm Handley 6
John Handley 1

Address: Damside, Galashiels, Selkirkshire

Can't easily see William Snr or Mary in 1851, but this looks like Mary in 1861:

Thomas Handley    27, carter, b. Galashiels
Jean Handley    14, sister, b. Darnock Rox.
Mary Handley    61, mother, wool winder, b. Galashiels

Address: Cholmely St, Alva Stirlingshire

There is also a death showing on SP in 1875 for a 75 yrs old Mary HANDLEY, other name Welsh in Selkirk which would be worthwhile you following up on.

In respect of Isabella Atkin, was there a maiden name for her showing in daughter Helen's death cert? There is a death showing in 1857 for an Isabella Aitken, other name Elliot, mother's maiden name Murdie - age 71, in Jedburgh where she shows with Andrew in 1851. If the correct death, it should her include her parents' details if known to the informant, to help you trace her back.

Like you, I cannot see Helen in 1851. George shows as married in his entry with brother William in 1851 as you would expect. Wonder how she has been indexed?

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Another try to find Helen in 1851, but no joy.

However...I have found Andrew Atkins will & testament on Scotlands People  :D

Andrew Aitken - 07/09/1865, Shoemaker at Jedburgh at Jedburgh Sheriff Court - Ref: SC62/44/42   

I hope your eyes are feeling rested  ;D - There are 39 pages....excellent value for £5GB

This will hopefully provide you with the background you need on the Aitken family given the 1841 census only showed Andrew and Isabella with grandchildren.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Mmmm...I'm not sure about the double entry for William Handley, son/brother. I think this may be parents and family to George in 1851. All from the index, as transcribed:

William Hanlly    44, Hand Loom Weaver (wool), b. Dalkeith Midlothian
Mary Hanlly 47, b. Galashiels, Selkirkshire
Betsy Hanlly 22, Woolen Yarn Winder, b. Galashiels, Selkirkshire
William Hanlly 17, Hand Loom Weaver (wool), b.Galashiels Selkirkshire
John Hanlly 12, Cloth Finisher Assistant, b. Galashiels Selkirkshire
Jane Hanlly 4, b. Galashiels Selkirkshire

Address:  Comelybank, Galashiels, Melrose Rox.

And George (without any sign of Helen) also in 1851:

George Handshy 24, Hand Weaver Loom Wolen, b. Melrose, Roxburgh
William Handshy 16, brother, Hand Weaver Loom Wolen, b. Melrose, Roxburgh

Address:  Ladhope Bank, Galashiels, Melrose Rox.

Monica

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 08 02:59 BST (UK) »
Monica,
THANK YOU !!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

So much wonderful information- I am so grateful!

I have been digging over the weekend, and discovered Andrew Aitken with a grandson on the 1861 census, but not on the 1871 - so the death and will you found seems to fit perfectly. I will have to start reading!!  Isabella is listed on the 1851, but not the 1861, so a death for her in 1857 would also fit neatly. Sadly there are no details on daughter Helen's death in Australia (only father listed) and the shipping index only lists parents as Andrew and Isabella Aitkin).  If I send for this death certificate from the UK, what info will it give me? Or can I get this through Scotlands People?

I guess I have the same question about the death for Mary Handly in 1875 - Welsh is her maiden name according to son George's death in Australia. Any sign of a death for William (father)??

Many many thanks again - I am off to see if SP take Australian dollars!! Look forward to your advice re the deaths through SP or ordering certificates, or how I go about that one!

Kylie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

I couldn't see an obvious death for William Hanley. I would start by checking the original 1861 census image for Mary with son Thomas in Alva. The index that I am looking at doesn't show marital status. The original image on SP will though. This will confirm whether Mary is showing as widowed (narrowing down the window for William's death) or married (letting you look for a death for William post 1861). I had a look on IGI for Hanleys in Midlothian - not many entries coming up and most in Dalkeith where William shows as a birth place in 1851 - so probably some connections there...

It is much cheaper (and quicker) to look at images of certs and censuses on SP. For £6GB, you get 30 units. It cost one unit to view search results and 5 units to view the original image on line - so for £6, you should be able to view 5 images if you are certain on your searches (we have a lot of info already which will help in this). You can then save the images on your computer and print off.

In respect of death certs., Scottish certs are very informative:

Full name of deceased
Marital status
Spouse's name
Sex
Date & Place of death
Given age
Cause of death
Occupation (or name and occupation of husband if the deceased was a married or widowed woman)
Father's name and rank or profession
Mother's name and maiden name
Name, address and family relationship (if any) of the person who reported the death.

In respect of purchasing the will of Andrew Aitken on SP, if you click on the purchase box next to his entry, you will go through to a credit card payment screen to buy this separately. As with the certs., you can back this up on your computer and print off.

Let me know how you get on  :)

Monica

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 July 08 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Well - lots of info in those 39 pages and those death certificates!!

Andrew Aitken and Isabella Elliot had 4 children - Andrew (who married Shiroff Potts- an unusual name...), John who married Jane unknown (from England), Martha (who married Edward Grey - and it would appear her father did not like very much!) and Helen (who married george Handley - not mentioned in the will).  It also listed the children of Andrew and John.

According to the death certificates :
Isabella Elliot (married Andrew Aitken) was born to Andrew Elliot a shephard, and Mary Murdie.
Andrew Aitken was born to John Aitken a shoemaker and Martha Young.
Mary Welsh (married William Handly) was born to Thomas Welsh and Betty Lunn.

I found William Handly living as a lodger in Glasgow in 1861 - no sign of him in 1871 but cannot find a death either. Mary was a widow when she died in 1875, so he must have died between 1861 and 1875.

Now my stumbling block is how to trace where Isabella came from originally - the census on Ancestry says she is English, and I have her parents names, but where to from there?? I cannot find her marriage to Andrew Aitken on SP and wondered whether they may have even married in England.  Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for all the tips and directions so far - that will in particular was a goldmine of info. I even have some addresses of family homes now - may have to start saving for a trip to Scotland!

Kylie B