Author Topic: William SCANLON or SCANLAN Limerick  (Read 11329 times)

Offline tawnyren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William SCANLON or SCANLAN Limerick
« on: Saturday 14 June 08 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi would anyone have any information on William SCANLON or SCANLAN b abt 1792 Parish Ch, Rathkeale, Limerick, Ireland, He married Sarah LODOWICK on 22 May 1817, Parish Ch, Rathkeale, Limerick, Ireland

They had the following Children
MARGARET 5 March 1818 Courtmatrix, Limerick, Ireland
JOHN TROOPER 22 Feb 1821 Courtmatrix, Limerick, Ireland
CHRISTOPHER 26 Oct 1824 Court Village, Limerick, Ireland

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Sonja

Offline LarryScanlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William SCANLON or SCANLAN Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
William Scanlan is my great, great, grandfather. If you are a descendant, we are related.
Sarah Lodowick was an Irish Palatine and her ancestors emigrated from the Palatinate area (south of Frankfort) of Germany in 1709.

I have substantial information about Christopher S and his descendants. He is my great, grandfather who married Emily Teskey, also an Irish Palatine, in 1845 and immediately immigrated to York, Ontario, Canada. He and Emily had nine children. Christopher subsequently married Belinda Teskey, Emily's niece, in  1866 and moved to Thronbury, Ontario. They had five children including Alfred who is my grandfather.

I have visited Rathkeale, Ireland; Osthoffen & Assenheim, Germany; and Thornbury, Ontario, Canada.

How are you related to William?

Contact me at (*)

Regards
Larry Scanlan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline tawnyren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Larry
William and Sarah are my 5 times gt grandparents, their son John Trooper scanlan married Louisa Teskey and had a daughter Mary ann Scanlan, she immigrated to NZ where she married a Donald or Daniel Corboy. Have had no luck tracing William Scanlans ancestors, any help you could give would be appreciated
cheers
Sonja

Offline LarryScanlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 05:50 BST (UK) »
I also have not had much luck with William Scanlan's ancestors. I am going to be in Salt Lake City next month and plan on spending a good deal of time at the Family History Library there. That may reveal something new.

I have a lot of information about the Teskey ancestors if you are interested.

I am very interested in your line. Did any of the children of John Trooper immigrate to Canada? There are a lot of Scanlan's in Ontario and I have not been able to connect them to any of my ancestors, although I have not spent a lot of time in that direction.

We have spent a great deal of time in New Zealand, mostly in Dunedin, and love the country. Are you in NZ? If so which city?

Apparently, I am not able to give you my email for direct contact except by PM which I am not yet eligible to use.

Try using my first name with a domain consisting of my firstlastname. Dotcom of course.

Larry Scanlan

Offline cipa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 09 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Larry & Sonja,
I came across your messages regarding William Scanlon/Scanlan & Sarah Lodowick.  I THINK that their daughter, Margaret (born 1818) was my gg grandmother.  According to her cemetery inscription she was born in Limerick, Ireland but her death registration does not give her parent's names.  My gg grandfather (her husband) was, Amos Fizzell (surname changed to Frizzell) in the next generation here in Canada.  Amos was born in Court Matrix, Rathekeale to Amos & Ellen Fizzell.  I have been unable to find a marriage record here in Canada or in Ireland for them, however they did come to Canada before 1847 as their eldest son, John, was born here.  There were many Palatines who immigrated to Camden Twp, in Lennox & Addington Cty at the same time & they all settled nearby to one another. 

The interesting thing is the names of Amos & Margaret's children:

John (named for Amos' grandfather)
William (named for Margaret's father?) My great-grandfather
Amos (named for Amos & his father)
Sarah (named for Margaret's mother?)  Sarah married a Teskey as well

These given names are repeated in the next generation as is the given name Christopher....

Have you ever come across any information at all about William & Sarah's daughter Margaret?

I have also seen an online tree that says Sarah Lodowick married two more times (first marriage to a Moor & then to Samuel Doupe after William's death).  There was a Lodowick family (John s/o Christopher Lodowick & Martha Teskey) that came to Ontario about the same time as my gg grandparents - they eventually settled in Ontario County, Ontario & changed their surname to Lodwick in later generations.

I would love to hear from you both.

Cindy Smith
Ontario, Canada
Snelgrove, Doughty, Waldon, Frizzell, Meeks, Sidenius

Offline LarryScanlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 09 06:34 BST (UK) »
Cousin Cindy,

Sarah Lodowick and William Scanlan are my ggg parents. They had three surviving children, Margaret b. 5 mar 1818; Christopher; and John Trooper b. 1827. Christopher; b. 26 Oct 1824, Courtmatrix, Limerick, Ireland; d 28 Sep 1916, Thornbury, Grey, Ontario; is my gg father. He and Emily Teskey married 21 Oct  1845 and immediately immigrated to Vaughn, York, Canada. Emily died about 1865. Christopher married Belinda (Teskey or Farley) in 1866. Belinda is my gg mother.

I am off to Salt Lake City Tuesday and one of my objectives will be to sort out the ancestry of Belinda. If she is a Teskey, as her daughter asserts, then she is the sister or the niece of Emily depending upon who you trust about her parents. However, a marriage record showing Christopher S marriage to Belinda Farley exists and needs to be reconciled.

My records indicate that Sarah did marry three times. First to James Moor, 31 Oct 1812. He apparently died and she married William 22 may 1817 (I have seen the micofilm). William died 3 April 1830 in Rathkeale, Ireland. Sarah then married Samuel Dobe 14 Feb 1831.

I have a fair amount of detail on Sarah's ancestors but nothing on William's (a second project for Salt Lake). I also have a good deal of information on Margaret's brother Christopher.

I can send you a gedcom file or I can print to a pdf file if you tell me that you would like to see.

You can contact me using (*)

Look forward to hearing from you

Larry

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Offline cipa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 September 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I too have tons of information on the Teskey family as they are so interconnected with the Ontario, Palatines.  We have just started up an Ontario Palatine group within the Ontario Genealogy Society.  The Teskey family here in Ontario are quite well documented.  I show Louisa/Louiza was the d/o Garrett Teskey & Mary Ann Shier.

Christopher Scanlon married Emily Teskey who was the d/o James Teskey & Dora Cornwall.  After her death, Christopher married her sister, Belinda Jane Teskey (you are correct - I also have a copy of the marriage & does say Belinda Farley and the parents don't match).  On Belinda's death registration though it clearly lists James & Dora as her parents.

An interesting tidbit regarding Samuel Doupe (Dobe) that married Sarah Lodowick.  Some of his brothers & sisters (I haven't found Henry) also came to Ontario.  His brother Jacob, in fact lived in the same community as my Fizzell/Scanlon family.  Another brother went to Grey Cty & another to Peterborough Cty.  His sister, Rachel married a Shier & they lived in Grey Cty as well.

I do think that Sarah Lodowick was somehow connected to Christopher Lodowick (quite possibly his daughter as her birth date fits in). 

I am very interested to hear how you make out in Salt Lake City.  If you come across a marriage for Margaret Scanlon/Scanlan & Amos Fizzell, Fitzell, Fizel (the name is spelled so many different was), I love to hear.  They were either married here in Ontario (probably Camden Twp), in Quebec or in Limerick, Ireland.

I will try to contact you at (*)

Cindy

Offline cipa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 September 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Larry,

Just realized I made a typo regarding Belinda Jane - I agree that she was probably the d/o James Teskey (s/o James & Dora) and his wife, Amelia Switzer.  The name "Leedy" on her marriage record is interesting though as there was a William Teskey (s/o Christopher Teskey & Sarah Ann Bowen - their family also settled in Camden Twp where my ancestors did) who married a Mary Reedy.  Sometimes the more you find, the more confusing it all gets! 

Cindy

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have some dates that I recorded for the Doupes from Rathkeale Parish, Limerick.  I have Samuel and Henry plus some others, but don't know if they're the males you are after.

What was the approx year of birth for the brothers you refer to?

My grandmother was a Doupe - hence my interest.

Cheers