Author Topic: Mariner Help!!  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner Help!!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:50 BST (UK) »

THANK YOU PAULEEN!!!!

Finally some one has given me a much better idea of what everything on the document means! If you look there has been 537 viewings of this message. MARINER HELP!! at last!!!
(No wonder no one has offered help how complecated is all this!!!!)

I have now read the NA link you gave me and agree with everything you have said in deciphering the numbers.
However I am not sure that the the port rotation number will work in the BT98 section.
Lets take the 1845 home journey for example:

BT 98/729 Port of Registry: Maryport Ships Names: A-Z  1845 

This is arranged by: year, (1845) Port of registry (Maryport) but then by ships name (we dont know this yet)
I am not sure the Port rotation number will help in this section. I am sure we are nearly there though wrt to working out his ships.

Thanks again for all your work. I was way off the mark!!!

Cheers

Chris

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
hi Chris

Happy to have been of help.

You're right about the year-port-ship boxes for BT 98. However I think you only learn the name of the ship when you match the rotation number that's written on the form for the ship when you then get the name. So it's a case of starting at the beginning and looking at each one. There is little likelihood that the low numbers will match ships whose names are in the early part of the alphabet. It's a good thing that there's only one film and you've got Maryport not LIverpool ;)

Can't recall where you are but unless you can take yourself off to London, ordering the film in through the nearest LDS (Mormon) church is probably your best bet.  Ihave checed the catalogue for 1845 and the film number is as follows. It should cost you about $5 or L3 to order in each film

BT 98/729 Maryport A-Z 1845 
Film 905430  

To find the film numbers for the other entries you have you can follow this procedure:
www.familysearch.org
Library
Library catalogue
Keyword search -"Board of Trade"
Entries will come up -I have BT 98 coming up at entry 125 of 125 (2nd page of list)

YOu then click on this which takes you to the reference info. Click again on the top right (film details)

YOu will be horrified by the 5000 odd films from which you need to find yours.

I find it easiest to go to the bottom of the page , on the left, where you can enter a film number. Take a guess till you're in the right year range then you can work your way through the alphabet.

For example I found the Maryport one above at around 1050. Obviously the later the year, the higher film number you'll be looking for.

If the film has to come in from Salt Lake City (because no one else in your country has ordered it) then it can take a few months. However the good thing is that these are popular records so are usually held in the national repository locally. So unless someone else has it to look through then you shouldn't have to wait too long

All sounds convoluted but really isn't. I haven't used BT 98 but have found images from my ancestor's seamen's tickets on other batches.

Hope this isn't as clear as mud. If it is let me know

Pauleen

McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 July 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

You've possibly already thought of this but when you do find out which ships he sailed on you can look at the local paper to find out more about the cargo it carried & the voyage. ON ships to Australia the local papers carried quite a lot of info.

The Times has all the shipping info from different ports (or at least the ones I've looked at) so that would probably be the easiest to access. The one for Quebec may, however, include more detail.

I looked back & saw you came from England so I guess you may be able to get to the NA which would be more fun than an LDS library. However in Australia it is pretty much my only option.

Happy hunting

Pauleen
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 July 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauleen,

Yet again even more information offered!!
Thank you.

I live in Bolton in the north of England so getting to the NA isnt very easy so I will definately follow the LDS route.

2 questions though:
1. I take it it will come as Micro Fiche format. If this is the case I hope I can take this to the library to check it out.
2. Do I have to visit my local LDS church to order what I want or can i do it via Email/post?

Once I have the LDS film I will check with you how to find the Times information in your last post but that looks brilliant also!
It is all well interesting and like I said I must be getting nearer to finding the ships travelled on.

Also I have a new SAILOR from a marriage certificate which arrived on Tuesday so will be able to follow all your advise with this person as well!!
William Page(My Great Grandad X3  - Cited as a Sailor Abt. 1830/40. Probably from Kent.

Thanks again

Chris

PS your right about the Liverpool files. They are  HUGE!!

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 July 08 09:49 BST (UK) »

Hi Boltonmets,

If you look at FAQ on familysearch.org they have some answers to your questions, not sure
about ordering I think you may have to go to the center or best to phone first.
I have put down some centers that are on the site that are near Bolton, but please check as not
familiar with area. 

Q:
   Can I use Family History Library microfilms and microfiche outside the family history center?

A:
   No. Microfilms and microfiche loaned to family history centers do not belong to the family history center or the patron who ordered them. Microfilms and microfiche cannot be removed from a center or transferred from one center to another.

Ashton England
Patterdale Road Crowhill Estate
Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 161-330 3453
Hours: M, T, F 10am-1pm; W 10am-3pm, 7pm-9pm; alt. Sat 10am-1pm

Manchester England
Altrincham Road
Wythenshawe
Manchester, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 161-902 9279
Hours: M-W 9.30am-12.30pm, 12.45pm-3pm; T 7pm-9pm
Closed: from 7 August; reopening 1 September 2008.

Preston England
Temple Way
Hartwood Green
Chorley, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 125-722 6145
Hours: M, Sat 10am-4pm; T, Th 10am-6pm; W, F 10am-9pm
Closed: from 28 July; reopens 11 August 2008

Rawtenstall England
Haslingden New Road
Rawtenstall, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 128-241 2748
Hours: T 9.30am-12pm; F 10am-2pm
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 July 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
hi Chris

Sirius has answered most of your questions -yes you will probably need to go to the library (based within the local LDS church) to order the film and also to look at the films when they arrived. Probably best to ring the local place first from list provided by Sirius & check opening hours & processes. However in Oz, some family history societies have lending rights so you can order in through them and they order from LDS....another question to be asked locally.

Some people feel a little uncomfortable to be in a church with which they are not affiliated but I can honestly say I've never felt that here -they believe very much in the importance of tracing family so happy to have you doing so.

I've done a lot of my research on UK families via LDS microfilm & it's been invaluable.

Some records (not these ones) do come on microfiche and when they do, they remain with the local LDS library. The majority, however, are on film which go back to wherever the "national" head office is located.

Also ask them whether you can take digital photos of the image you want (different places, different policies). So many archives are permitting that these days & it's invaluable. If you can't photo or print, make sure you transcribe every tiny bit of information as it's importance may only be revealed in time ;)

Re The Times: you should find your local (council?) library or other large municipal library will have a online subcription to the Times archives (ie their historical papers). You can then search by a specific name or date but I don't always find it 100% reliable. Of course if looking for a ship, you should know the date from your shipping list off the microfilm

Good to know all these new skills will be handy with the new branch of sailors

Cheers

Pauleen

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 July 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Once again thanks for your help Pauleen and thank you sirius for your contribution.
The one at chorley looks promising and I will contact/get there as soon as I have a free moment!

Cheers

Chris

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 July 08 17:30 BST (UK) »

Boltonmets

Just checking you might have missed it Chorley is closed from the 28th July to the 11th Aug

Sirius
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 February 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »
AT LAST!!!!

Hi all I have finally visited the NA!!!!!

That place is brilliant!

So, Pauleen, I followed the root you gave me of looking at BT729 for Stephen Richardson on a ship registered at Maryport in 1845. The file came and it was a box with probably 200-300 original shipping documents in it!! I couldnt see any other way than to filter through them than to check each document which had all the men who sailed on that particular ship at that time. I looked at over 3/4s of them when I finally found Stephen Richardson age 48 from Keswick whos quality was a seaman. The ships name was the ST GEORGES and the master JAMES POOL it looks like. It travelled from Maryport to Dublin and back!It stated Stephens previous ship was the INDUSTRY and that he was registered at Maryport with ticket number 60,849 which corresponds with my previous documents.
So this gave me 2 names of boats he travelled on.
I did manage to photograph and scan this document but it is to big to put on here!

I then decided to look for his name in BT119. This is a list of all mariners betwwen 1835 and 1844 I think. I found 3 Stephens with different ticket numbers. I then used those 3 ticket numbers to access BT112.  One of them was Stephen Richardson aged 38 from Keswick. The correct ticket number was 3821. It shows 7 Journeys and actuall states the ships he sailed on by name. ENTERPRIZE, HERMES, MARIA, and CONFIDENCE. (see image below)
I checked out www.mightyseas.co.uk which has them all listed but only information on the CONFIDENCE can be found but no picture!!

So this is my question to anyone! I want a picture and information of any of the above ships so what would be the best site to go to in order to find this please.

Recap: 1835-1844 the ships Enterprize, Hermes, Maria and Confience
            1845 the ships St Georges and Industry

Thank you

Chris
PS Pauleen I know it was monthes ago when you posted your help but once again thanks!