Author Topic: Mariner Help!!  (Read 8572 times)

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner Help!!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
BT 114/4 Name of Seaman: CA - CO

This is where you will get your man from online on the NA website.

Chris

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 June 08 21:27 BST (UK) »

Hi Boltonmets,

Apply for an estimate for BT 114/4 CA-CO they have come back with £30.00 and it has to
be sent to you on a DVD.
Not sure how you manage to get it on just 1 page.
May have to go in person to NA as off peak train ticket is around £12.

Regards

Sirius
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 June 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sirius,

You have requested a digital copy!! You need to request a paper copy. Also make sure you put the name of the person you are after in the form or the will send you every person CA-CO not just the page you want. I would ring them tommorrow and say you requested a digital copy by accident but actually wanted a paper copy. See what they say!

Chris

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 June 08 14:58 BST (UK) »

Oops

I did ask for a paper copy, but never put the named down. This is what they said.

We have had to change your preferred medium from 'Paper copies' to 'Digital Images' to accommodate copying your document(s).

Have to try again.

Regards

Sirius

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 July 08 07:48 BST (UK) »
hi guys

I have posted some further info on these on the other mariner enquiry posting so won't double up there.

The book I refer to explains the codes in detail (some of which no one knows apparently) and the NA guide also is very helpful.

There are men whose tickets were registed at the Cape of Good Hope -this might be relevant if you think someone was born there.

The registers and indexes can be ordered through the Mormons for $A5 so probably only a couple of UK pounds -cheaper than that train fare -if a little slower!

Cheers

Pauleen

McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi cassmob,

I would be very lucky if I find him in the Cape of Good Hope as the year would have been around

Regards

Sirius

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 July 08 07:00 BST (UK) »
hi Sirius

Obviously too late for your person of interest sinve 1818 -these mariner registrations were from 1845 at Cape of Good Hope -but may be of interest to someone out there

Cassmob
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline nickspud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 July 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Boltonmets

I have been intrigued by your post on tracing your mariner ancestor.  I too am trying to trace a mariner ancestor.  Am I correct in saying the BT 114 you mention only covers the years 1845-1854?

I would like to find the years 1880-1893 any ideas on how to access these please?

Many thanks

Nick

Offline Boltonmets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 July 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi nick,

Yes my thread only covers the dates stated. I have had a quick look at the dates you want but it seems the records are scattered.

Read below taken from NA:
2. Agreement and Crew Lists 1861 - 1938 and 1950 - 1994
In BT 99 , The National Archives holds a random 10% sample of the Agreements and Crew Lists, for the periods 1861 to 1938 and again from 1950 to 1994. For the period 1861 to 1923, they can be searched for on the Catalogue (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue) using the ship's Official Number (obtainable from the Mercantile Navy Lists). After that date, the Catalogue gives ranges of ship's Official Numbers. See the separate section below on The National Archives' World War 2 holdings.

When the files were being selected for preservation a decision was taken on how to dispose of all those not taken by The National Archives. The National Maritime Museum took 10% and County Record Offices, took some for the period 1863-1913. The rest, approximately 70% of the Agreements and Crew Lists, 1863-1938 and 1951-1976, were transferred to the Maritime History Archive, Memorial University, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1C 5S7 (www.mun.ca/mha/).

The National Maritime Museum's 10% sample covers the period 1861-1938 and 1951-1976. Their holdings approximate to 10% over the two periods and were selected by taking the 90% not selected for The National Archives for 1861-1862 and 90% for every year that ended in a figure 5, i.e. 1865, 1875, etc. with the exception of 1945 - see below.

The Maritime History Archive has published the following guides that relate to BT 99 :

Maritime History Archive, A guide to the agreements and crew lists: series II, 1863-1912, (Newfoundland, 1992), I-III
Maritime History Archive, A guide to the agreements and crew lists: series II, 1913-1938, (Newfoundland, 1987)
Microfiche copies of both of these publications are available at the National Archives, and a catalogue of their holdings for this period is also available on the Maritime History Archive website at www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcrew.php. See below for details of the County Record Offices' holdings.

Also I think you should check out www.crewlist.org.uk

It all seems complecated as was the BT records I had to get for my ancestor!!! And even then I do not understand them fully!!!

Hope it helps.

Chris