Author Topic: Tasmanian BROWNE Family - completed  (Read 10401 times)

Offline chell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmanian Browne Family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks to this board I have found out alot of the info I wanted.

There are two of us searching for the same family as descendants but we have some information that is contradictory. Namely that one of us believed that the twin brother had died and I the other feels that he died as an adult. I just wanted to confirm that we were actually looking at the same family and that I hadn't made mistakes along the way. Also we had different information about the father Thomas and his death. Again I was trying to make sure we were actually looking at the same family.

I am now pretty sure that the twin lived to be an adult in Queensland and now have his death reference number thanks to your info.

Also I am wondering why James Arthur is named as James Ernest in the birth records. It made me doubt myself and the information I had.

Thanks for all your help. Johngirl has offered to look for a baptism record for Thomas Marryatt when she has time but other than that I think I can safely say that the two of us researching this family are looking at the same family with just s few differences involved due to circumstances.

The only other thing that I would really like to find out is how the family got to Queensland as I can not find any records for them moving. I would like to know if the father Thomas was with them or if my belief is correct and that he died in active duty in Canada before the family moved to Queensland.

Not wanting much am I??? :)

Thanks for all the info you have given me!
Michelle

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:30 BST (UK) »

I have just rechecked the Registration numbers for Frederick William Browne and his sibling born the same day. I left out an A in the registation for Frederick William Browne. It should read as follows.

FREDERICK WILLIAM BROWN   born   25/5/1847   RGD 335A/1847   OATLANDS.

NAME UNKNOWN. MALE   born    25/4/1847    RDG 335/1847    OATLANDS.

Sorry Johngirl

I'm not sure about in Tasmania (might be worth a query to the archives) but in other states the addition of an alpha code to a registration number, sometimes means an alteration/correction - i.e. Male Browne 335 was corrected to be Frederick Browne 335A.
(Given the death in Qld, I may be wrong, but worth a check perhaps)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi chell,
It sounds like you are well on your way now, and that is good to see.

I'm not much help with the things you are specifically looking for, though I have come across a bits of information about other, more recent generations in the family.

James Arthur, throughout the records I have seen  of him in QLD, is always called James Arthur.

The generation you are seeking, the one before him, is trickier. ???

Lots of luck.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:34 BST (UK) »
MMmm..
Trish!

I have been hoping that someone with a better understanding than me would address is issue.

Doubts are back!
I am now pretty sure that the twin lived to be an adult in Queensland and now have his death reference number thanks to your info.
Have to remember that this entry has really only given you the death of another child born to the couple.  There is no birth date to confirm twinship.

Sue

Offline chell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Yep I agree with that but the reason I am so adamant is that I have seen an obituary and if my memory serves me correctly it mentioned Marriot / marryatt and also mentioned the twin brother Frederick. That is where I got my information about the twin's name. My grandmother is trying to find the clipping for me so that I can clarify this. I also remember it being around the time of world war one which fits in with the death date you gave me. I could be completely wrong ( and it won't be the first time).

It might not be my lost twin but it is another child to Thomas and catherine anyway that we hadn't found previously in our search so either way I am pretty happy.  :) :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
Sounds good Chelle & I could be completely wrong - may well be your man. Do you know where the Qld man is buried? That may give an age, without needing the certificate - I'll go check the city cemeteries  :D - woops died outside of Brisbane from the code,  no joy there.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Have decided to post this information in case it offers any avenues for your further exploration about the family.  As later generations ended up round Roma, perhaps that is a place worth looking at.

Birth of Frederick’s  child
1881/c1764 Browne Arthur Marryatt F. Fred. William. M. Leila Alethea Florence Mar
Marriage
1907/B6064 Browne. Arthur Marryatt McIntyre Diana Gilllies.
Death.
1914/B19313. Browne, Arthur Marryatt. Father Frederick William. Mother Leila Alethea Florence  Marshall.

Some items about Jams Arthur Browne.  You have his marriage details.  It was to Jessie someone per his certificate.

Three of his sons enlisted for ww1 You can learn a lot by viewing these files.
Arthur Jemotte Browne  aged 28 in 1915.  He was the overseer of a cattle station.  The addresses for the next of kin are many, including Park Place, Milton and Durham Downs, Roma  Station.
Another brother Roy Mc Pherson Browne.  Same addresses.
Another brother Philip Gerald Browne who was underage and had to have a signed permission from his parents.  He was killed in action.  His file contains numerous letters from his father Arthur to the AIF. Same NOK, Same addresses.

In 1924, Mr Arthur Browne was the manager of Durham Downs Station  [We guess think it was Arthur Jemotte Browne]

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/rhoet.htm

At Toowong there is a large BROWNE family grave and it includes the interment of James Arthur Browne, his wife Jessie and others.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_899
Sue

Offline chell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 June 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue,
You are an absolute legend. You have gone out of your way to find things to help me in my research. The cemetary find is particularly good because it has some other realtives on it that I have had difficulty tracing. eg) Jane Macpherson is almost certainly  Jessie Browne's mother. Can move on now with finding her too.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! It's all wonderful.

Cheers
Michelle

Offline chell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 June 08 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I checked out the death records for the people you found for me in Toowong and they are mostly Jessie Browne's sisters. ( including Jane Campbell). Great find - I had not known about them