Author Topic: "seaman merchant service"  (Read 2254 times)

Offline humbug

• RootsChat Member
  • Humbug
    • View Profile
"seaman merchant service"
« on: Monday 16 June 08 17:43 BST (UK) »
sorry for the daft question - but I am of the pilosophy - if you don't ask you don't learn!!!

i have a birth certificate and the father's occupation is listed as "seaman merchant service"

I have two questions

1. - does this mean he was in the merchant navy?? or could it be entirely different

2 - i only ask the above as i googled the term and i kept coming up with the tna site and when i looked it appeared to be for the royal navy - but i did find a robert wright that fitted my era and from my area (although I accept it IS a common name)

thanks in advance for any advice
GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "seaman merchant service"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Humbug
what a nice change to have a man put the proper ;D occupation on paper ;D A lot just put waterman, seaman,There are only 2 navy's Royal and Merchant.A merchant seaman is a man that is employed by the owner of the boat/ship that they were on.  Put  another way a man that sails on any water going vessel whatever it might be From  cruise ship to a tug is a merchant seaman. Unless you know any of the vessels he was on or who he was employed by M.S are hard to locate.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline humbug

• RootsChat Member
  • Humbug
    • View Profile
Re: "seaman merchant service"
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 08 18:35 BST (UK) »
hi celia

thats great - thankyou for your informative answer

i have been doing a bit of preliminary research - he's hard to track in the censuses - i guess he was at sea at the time . 

i think i have his parents - again his father (if it was him) was also away at sea i am guessing too - as when i have found him he was also a seaman - as were many of the wrights further down the more recent line

thank you again
GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland