Author Topic: I Might Be Able to Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's  (Read 72226 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
A couple of weeks ago I posted a topic regarding the book "Recollection of Old Taunton" http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,307463.msg1888131.html#msg1888131  and whether anybody had a copy they could give me information from. The book relates to a resident of Taunton, Somerset, who lived there from about 1817 until his death in 1896. In 1883 he wrote the book about the residents of 1820's to 1830's, describing who lived where and what they did as he walked down the streets of Taunton.(amendment - he mostly describes tradespeople and their businesses as he walks the streets though some non-business people are mentioned - I'm still happy to check any possibility)

As nobody replied to me with a copy, I purchased one and had it shipped to me from England. As I indicated the author walks down each street in 1883 idenitiying each house and its occupant who lived there in 1820' and 1830's, and he also tells a few local stories as well.

The book is indexed (though not 100% complete) with the residents' names. If you think your ancestors may have been in Taunton during 1820's and 1830's, give me their details, and I will see if I can find them.

Unfortunately, some of the details are very scant such as one of my ancestors John WEST "....next came West, a spirit merchant, and further on some maiden ladies......." That was his only reference, while another ancestor was given a physical description, her grandchild's name and information about a portrait painted of her.

So you may just get a surname/occupation/dwelling (majority of cases), but then again quite a few lines down to the clothing they wore, or a whithered foot, a fight they were involved, where they drank and who with, and other personal snippets of information.

Anyway, if you think you may have a ancestor from that time/place, I'm glad to try and help find he/she in the book.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Nicola

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I Can Help with Ancestors Living in Taunton 1820's to 1830's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Les
Looking for the Butti surname in Taunton. Joseph Butti from Italy married Maria Shattock. Children born in the 1920`s. Thanks
Nicola
Northam, Billing(s), Trickey, Sprague, Woodbury, Hallett, Pike, Stamp, Hart All Devon Somerset area.
 Hastie, Tait, Clark, Bryson, Edminson, Burgon,  Dickson, Adamson, Hendry, JeffreyAll Berwick area.
Archer, Purdy, Pitts, Grooms, Lomax, Smith, Poulton, Luddington, Daniels, Atkinson all Tottenham area

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for the Butti surname in Taunton. Joseph Butti from Italy married Maria Shattock. Children born in the 1920`s. Thanks

Hi Nicola

Good news - bad news. Found both surnames, but very little detail.

Just briefly. When the book was originally written in 1883, there was no index, but one was inserted during later versions (mine 1992), however, the author did originally write an appendix of all tradesman. So a name may appear in the appendix, but because it doesn't appear in the general story of the book it does not appear in the index.

Your Butti does not appear in the index, but appears in the appendix of Names of Professional Men and Tradesman of Taunton (around 1820's to 1830's).

I've added all names for this particular trade as they all appear to be Italian, and you may recognize another name. Everyone else in the village appears to be English.

Travelling Jewellers
John Marzaritti
Joseph Butti
Peter Camarado
John de Maria
Peter Nolfi
Louis Schalfino

Shattock (surname only) appears in both appendix and index. Appendix details;

Painters and Plumbers
Shattock
(there another 10 names under this trade)

Index details relate to page 14. Its a bit vague but I think the author is describing James Street. Although Shattock is only briefly mentioned I'll give you a few lines to give you an idea of his neighbours.

.....Baldwin who sold toys came next, and Chapman a shoemaker adjoined. The "Spread Eagle" kept by Tite was next door. The next house was an old peaked one which was afterwards pulled down and a new one built, the first occupier being Oliver Leigh. Shattock, a plumber and glazier, Joyce a druggist, Hodges a shoemaker. Fickus a confectioner and Bath's hucksters shop followed......

Hope these scant details help in some way.

Regards

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating book you must have. I often feel with this hobby of our, that although we have a few basic details of our ancestors, we do not really know what they were like or the lives they lead. I wonder if you could see if a branch of my family are mentioned in your book.

The Clinch or Clench family lived in Taunton at least from the early 1800’s. The earliest ancestors were John and Elizabeth Clinch / Clench. They had 2 sons baptised in Taunton, John in 1817 and James in 1815. Elizabeth was a nurse working in Taunton hospital in the 1841 census. In 1851 she is living with her son John at “Bales Point” Taunton. John went onto to become a policeman whereas his brother. James  (my ancestor)worked for the gas works. By the mid 1800’s this was the only family of that name in the town.

best wishes
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry Peewee, I can't find Clinch/Clench listed in either the Index or Appendix. Most of the people mentioned are shop owners/tradesmen, so I suppose there is more chance if your ancestors was one of those.

Don't feel too bad though, another Rootschatter PM'ed with a number of names, and I dind't find any for him/her either - just "luck of the draw" I suppose.

Speaking of luck, in my original posting of this topic I indicated I found one ancestor in the book and mention was made of a portrait. The authour of the book actually mentions the artist's name, and the fact that he (the author) actually owned the portrait at one stage.

I ended up Googling my ancestor's name and the artist's name in the million to one chance I would find something, and I did! The painting is currently in the Royal Albert Museum, Exeter. The website displayed a copy of the painting plus some family history which I never had before. It also makes reference to the author of my book. Yes, one can be lucky in this big world of family research  ;D

Les

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking anyway.
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline Adrian Ballard

• RootsChat Extra
  • of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 July 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Les de bee,

Doing some research or a Ballard family in Taunton, could you look in your book to see if any referances appear there !!

Thanks In Advance :)

Adrian Ballard (formaly of Bristol Now of Cornwall)

www.ballardsfield.com
www.ballardgen.com
Researching BALLARD from The Southwest Bristol Monmouth Wales Ireland Herefordshire Worcestershire Staffordshire areas - mostly Medieval

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 July 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Les

I'd be grateful for anything on the name of GILL in Taunton.  I know that one Innkeeper originated from Manchester but there were several so far unconnected GILL families, and Coachmen featured amongst some of them traversing the county towns.

Also, perhaps less likely, DEAN[E] perhaps with Chard origins?  One that I know of - William, a Shoemaker, with wife Sarah and family - was subjected to a Removal Order from Chard 1832 to Taunton St Mary Magdalen, so may have previously enjoyed a decent living, presumably obtaining settlement via employment in Taunton.  In 1841 he was back in Chard, but all too soon disappeared off the radar ........
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 July 08 04:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry Dee-Jay, nothing on Ballard, Gill or Dean(e).

You did mention coachmen, and though none of the names you mentioned are listed in the book, there is a brief first hand account of coaches/coachmen in the book;

"The arrival and departure of the North Devon and Bridport Mails, and other coaches, was the great event of the day; you would see the tradesmen at their shop doors, with their aprons and straw hats, taking the greatest interest in changing and putting to. The horn would blow, and off they would go, and all was quiet again. The coachmen and guards were men of great importance, and also great drinkers".

Some of the coachman were named, but not Gill. Also there is a list of shoemakers, but no Dean(e).

The book deals with the author's boyhood memories around 1820's to 1830's. Unfortunately, your families didn't jog his memory.  :(

Les