Author Topic: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham  (Read 30836 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham
« on: Tuesday 17 June 08 23:28 BST (UK) »
I believe that 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton is a place were single mothers to be went to give birth to illegitimate children. I also believe that it may have been a workhouse.

This address was given on a birth certificate dated 1910 that I have.

Can anyone please confirm this and perhaps tell me a little more about this place at this time?

I believe that many of the records have been lost. 

Any further information on this establishment at this time would be much appreciated.

Andy 
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline kaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
Andy ,

Have Pm'd you,

Kaz
Aspinall-Lancashire and Canada,
Dickinson-Lancashire and Canada,
Noon-Warwickshire,
Parr-Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire
Reeves-Staffs and Warwickshire,
Viggers-Oxfordshire and Warwickshire,

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the PM Kaz. Your  info adds to the picture.

What I think is 2, Raddlebarn Road  was an address that registrars are known to have used for Kings Norton Workhouse.  I think it was the workhouse infirmary. Also I think in those days possibly the workhouse infirmary was the nearest thing to an NHS hospital. This can be seen on the workhouse web site. There's no doubt this was a probably proper professional hospital. It's only a few years later that the workhouses and their hospitals were to be handed over to local authorities and the term 'workhouse' would become history!

I hope that I am thinking along the right lines. Perhaps someone can help here. I would just like to know a little more about what life was like at that place at that time. Also to find any records for 1910 if they still exist anywhere.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline kaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
Andy,

Have you seen this site:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?KingsNorton/KingsNorton.shtml

K

Oops ..of course you have  - you've just mentioned it.Sorry - must be having a "moment"...which is obviously lasting a long time!!
Noon-Warwickshire,

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kaz,

I have seen the web site,  but your posting has given me another thought.

Should this discussion be under Worcestershire?  I believe the birth certificate has Worcestershire on it.

I always think of Birmingham as Warwickshire, but not all of it was!

Andy

Offline kaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Andy,

Can't help you there i'm afraid. However,  if no one can  help you on this website then you may wish to try:

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/index.php

Regardless of which part of Birmingham they may be able to help/point you in the right direction.

Kaz
Noon-Warwickshire,

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 16:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the tip Kaz.  I will give it a try in two days time as user registration has been temporarily suspended on this site.

Andy

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 June 08 03:20 BST (UK) »
This place is still there. It became Selly Oak Hospital.

My great aunt was also born there ~ when her mother was unmarried. She was baptised in a private ceremony and I found the details of that in Birmingham Central Library ~ I think under records for St Mary's church.

The site was for Kings Norton Union Workhouse and also also Kings Norton Union Infirmiary.

It was in Worcestershire and the area became part of Greater Birmingham in 1911.

(Coincidentally, my elder son was also born there ~ in 1986!)
It is now part of University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust:
http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/ 
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline mikeflan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 June 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Well of course that address does sound like Selly Oak Hospital today...but...there was also a place on Raddlebarn Road that was opposite St Edwards RC School....the place was a very big building indeed owned by the RC Church and single RC mothers would go there to be 'helped' with their births !!  it was staffed by Nuns and the place was called 'Woodville' that building was demolished many years ago and now on the site is St Mary's Hospice
Flanagan.Taylor,Carrington,Stutley,Challiner,Wheatley,Power,Surplice.