Author Topic: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham  (Read 30770 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 June 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophiedog,
Many thanks for letting me know about your father's birth details.
If you find out anything else of interest about the workhouse/infirmary & the use of the addresses I would be very interested to learn from you.

Thank You,
Treefan.

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 June 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan. I have found my notes on 2 Raddlebarn Road,and the funny thing is it was a question  (post) I put on this site on the 14/2/2008 asking for info on this subject of the above address and it was Peter Goodey a member of this site who answered my question and here is his answer to me.

I *Quote* from my notes as follows;

These addresses that the registrars are known to have used for Kings Norton workhouse include;

1a Raddlebarn Road
1b Raddlebarn Road
2 Raddlebarn Road

There may well be other variations that I don't know about.
These are not postal addresses-there never really was a 1a and 1b and a  2 (although there may be today as a result of development and renumbering).

Its just a form of words used to obscure the place of birth. The point of all this was so that  the child would not suffer the stigma of having his Birth Cert showing a birth place of the workhouse.

END OF QUOTE;

Hope this is of some help to you.

Sophiedog

Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Towner Bishopstone......................................................
Illson Leicestershire...............................................
ADAMS/GANDERTON/ BENNETT /TAYLOR/BROWN. Warwick Birmingham Areas.
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)
COOK,Brighton / Cuckfield...

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 June 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Sophiedog.
The thing that I find strange is that although I now know that 1, 1a & 2 Raddlebarn Road were addresses that were allotted to the local authorities to use representing the workhouse/infirmary/unmarried mothers home in order to disguise the true facts to save face for the families involved for certificate purposes there actually was really a 2 Raddlebarn Road which was the home of the Stephens family from at least 1912 to 1939  --  Mr Stephens was a store keeper in the local chocolate factory and the family can be found in the Birmingham electoral records under the address 2 Raddlebarn Road for all those years.
I think it very odd that the local authorities used an address (even though it was only on paper) when the address was also a real postal address in existance at the same time.

Thanks again,
Treefan.

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 June 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan,I thought the same as you, when I read your post.
I was wondering if Mr Stephens,let out rooms at this house to my Grandparents in 1921 when my father was born there. Just a thought ! Have you been able to look in the 1911 census , (sorry Im still new to this,) or is that the same as the electoral records.?

Sophiedog.
Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 June 09 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophiedog, 
Over a period of time since we have been looking into 2 Raddlebarn Road due to it being the address on an ancestors death certificate we have come across a great number of others too for both deaths & births  --  there are far too many for it to have been possible for them all to have been lodgers of the Stevens family, they must have been inmates of either the workhouse, the infirmary or the unmarried mother's home for it to make sense.
Someone who presently lives in the area told us that the houses in that area were owned by the Cadbury Trust for use of the Cadbury workers. Mr Stephens was indeed a Cadbury worker so this may be correct but we have never checked this out as yet  --  perhaps someone else may know?
I have checked the 1911 census & Mr Stephens & his wife are still in residence there.

Treefan.

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 June 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Morning Treefan, it is indeed a mystery,and I don't know where to go from here to solve it.
A long shot ,but are there not any Archive Records up in Birmingham to help us.I don,t know anything much about Birmingham as I live in the South of England,I only know my Father was born there.
I wonder if we will ever find out ?

Best wishes.
Sophiedog.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 June 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
It's great to see that a topic that I started over a year ago now come back to life.

My father was born at 2, Raddlebarn Road in 1910.  In the 1911 census it seems my father William George age six months was staying with Childminders at 37, Norman Street, Winson Green in Birmingham. His mother Norah was working as a Domestic Servant at 37, Havelock Road, Handsworths approx 2.5 miles away. So by then they had moved away from the "hospital".

Can I go back to my original question:

What I think is 2, Raddlebarn Road  was an address that registrars are known to have used for Kings Norton Workhouse.  I think it was the workhouse infirmary. Also I think in those days possibly the workhouse infirmary was the nearest thing to an NHS hospital. This can be seen on the workhouse web site. There's no doubt this was a probably proper professional hospital. It's only a few years later that the workhouses and their hospitals were to be handed over to local authorities and the term 'workhouse' would become history!

I hope that I am thinking along the right lines. Perhaps someone can help here. I would just like to know a little more about what life was like at that place at that time. Also to find any records for 1910 if they still exist anywhere.

The other possible avenue of research is that I believe the nearby St Mary's church was used to baptise the children born there. If so is it possible for anyone to do a look up to see if a "Cadman" was baptised there on or after 20th September 1910. And let me have the details.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 June 09 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I do go to the Birmingham Central Library once in a blue moon so I shall make a note of your query and try to have a look for you  --  I don't know when it will be though so bare with me please.

Treefan.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 June 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Morning Treefan, it is indeed a mystery,and I don't know where to go from here to solve it.
A long shot ,but are there not any Archive Records up in Birmingham to help us.I don,t know anything much about Birmingham as I live in the South of England,I only know my Father was born there.
I wonder if we will ever find out ?

Best wishes.
Sophiedog.

Hi,
I don't know when I shall be able to get to B'ham Library to try to find out more but when I do I shall let you know.

Treefan.