Author Topic: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham  (Read 30855 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 June 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
If you could find out more at Birmingham library for me Treefan that would be really appreciated - Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 June 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
If you could find out more at Birmingham library for me Treefan that would be really appreciated - Andy

I would also appreciate a Baptism for a Dennis J Adams born 16/6/1921 ( birth at 2 Raddlebarn Road )
Thats if he was Baptised at all. !!

please if its possible and not too much for you Treefan. Thank you.

Edited; This question we would all like an answer to was also at one time being discussed on another well known site,and still came back with the same answers we have on here. here is another Quote from there.
Quote;No 2 is a house,its on the corner of Raddlebarn &Willow Rd, part of the Bournville Village Trust Area.its still there as I past it the other day,the workhouse was across the road,now Selly Oak Hospital.End of Quote.( Dated 19/8/2008 )

Sophiedog
Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Towner Bishopstone......................................................
Illson Leicestershire...............................................
ADAMS/GANDERTON/ BENNETT /TAYLOR/BROWN. Warwick Birmingham Areas.
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)
COOK,Brighton / Cuckfield...

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 June 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate that was (I think) 1 back Raddlebarn Road, which was Kings Norton Workhouse. That was in 1924.

I believe that in the early 20th century, a law was passed that forced registrar's to put down the address of the workhouse as a number and road, basically to stop Workhouse being on the certificate's. People who needed medical help, but could not afford it, often chose to enter the workhouse, so that they could use the worhouse hospital. I have looked through the records for Burton Union Workhouse in Staffordshire, and there is plenty of cases were people enter the workhouse, are sent to the hospital, and either die or leave soon afterwards.

In 1930 (or there abouts), Neville Chamberlain (a local man!) passed a law that rewrote the poor law system. The workhouse were closed - children went to orphanges. The problem was, they could not get rid of the adults (and possibly some children) already in the workhouse, and I have no idea how long it would have taken for them to stop taking new cases in.

When Clement Attlee won the 1945 general election, he set up the NHS, which took over many of the old workhouses to use as hospitals. It is very likley that this is when Selly Oak Hospital was born, although I can not prove/disprove that.

Tippin

PS: Kings Norton was in Worcestershire. Worcestershire used to bend round into Warwickshire, so that places on the east of Birmingham, like Yardley and Moseley, were in Worcestershire. In fact, Birmingham used to be in three counties - Warwickshire, Worcestershire (to the south, and parts of the east), and Staffordshire (to the west).

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tippin,

I have been looking into the Kings Norton workhouse due to ancestor's connections and I have discovered that in 1912 Kings Norton was amalgamated with the Birmingham Poor Law Union & in 1922 the former Kings Norton Workhouse became Selly Oak Hospital.

Treefan.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 13:49 BST (UK) »

Hi Andy,

Well I finally managed to get to visit the Birmingham Central Library & I had success in finding your grandfather's bapism in the baptism register book for St. Mary's Churcn. The entry read as follows :-
Born 20th September 1910
Baptised 17th october 1910
William George Cadman
Mother  =  Norah
Place of birth  =  Kings Norton Union Infirmary
Service was performed by G T Miller

I hope that is of help to you.
With best wishes,
Treefan.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 13:58 BST (UK) »

I would also appreciate a Baptism for a Dennis J Adams born 16/6/1921 ( birth at 2 Raddlebarn Road )
Thats if he was Baptised at all. !!

please if its possible and not too much for you Treefan. Thank you.

Edited; This question we would all like an answer to was also at one time being discussed on another well known site,and still came back with the same answers we have on here. here is another Quote from there.
Quote;No 2 is a house,its on the corner of Raddlebarn &Willow Rd, part of the Bournville Village Trust Area.its still there as I past it the other day,the workhouse was across the road,now Selly Oak Hospital.End of Quote.( Dated 19/8/2008 )

Sophiedog

Hi there,

I have finally managed to get to the library to do some more research & I tried to find the baptism entry for Dennis J Adams for you. I searched through the baptism book for St Mary's church but sadly couldn't find an entry for his baptism
Sorry.

Best Wishes,
Treefan.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Treefan for finding my fathers baptism.

It means a lot to me.

Best Wishes,

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

It was my pleasure. I had hoped that the baptisms would be on film so that I could get a photocopy of the entry for you but instead I had to look through the old parish register book and I'm afraid that I didn't have my camera with me. Now that you know the details though, perhaps you could send off for a copy from the library.

With best wishes,
Jan.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I now have the reference, which is just what I wanted.

I will have to get in touch with the library for a copy.

Also important for this topic - any one who has a birth certificate with the address 2, Raddle Barn Road, Circa 1910, now know that the child is likely to have been baptised at St Mary's Church.

Thanks again,

Andy