Author Topic: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham  (Read 30763 times)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Northfield, Kings Norton, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 June 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
The Birmingham Electoral Roll for 1912 shows Walter Stephens living at 2 Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak
http://www.rootschat.com/links/03ow/

Susan  :)

Added: He's still there 1925-1939 -  No. 2 sounds like a "normal" house  :-\
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 June 08 19:40 BST (UK) »
It must depend, then, on whether one was RC or CofE, wchich side of the road the illegitimate babies were born.

My gt aunt was born 1905 or 1906 ~ I can't remember exactly off hand. The Christening was registered under St Marys C of E church, Selly Oak.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 June 08 21:14 BST (UK) »
As I said earlier, what I think is 2, Raddlebarn Road  was an address that registrars are known to have used for Kings Norton Workhouse around 1910, I have heard of several instances of this and 1 and 1a Raddlebarn Road also may have been used. I hope that this thinking is along the right lines.

I would just like to know a little more about what life was like at that place at that time. Also to find any records for 1910 if they still exist anywhere.

Do you think Tricia_2 that most of the illegitimate children born there were baptised at St Mary's church - did you see any evidence of this in your research?

Andy

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 June 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
Andy,

I would have to find & check my notes, but I am pretty sure that there was a batch of such christenings ~ all together in the records of St Mary's.

Whether the mothers & babies were taken there, or whether a minister went to the hospital / workhouse for the 'private' baptisms, and they were written up in the baptism register, later, I don't know.
I'm sure that experts will know, though.

Good luck.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline mikeflan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 June 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
As St Mary's  church & school is on the doorstep....the clergy wouldn't have had far to go anyway..........likewise with the RC version further down Raddlebarn Road....Woodville was almost opposite St Edwards Church and school....
Flanagan.Taylor,Carrington,Stutley,Challiner,Wheatley,Power,Surplice.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 June 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Mike, I will have to try and have a look at the records when I can. I live some distance from Brimingham.

Thanks also for your response Tricia_2 - have only just seen it.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline mikeflan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 June 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
I live further away from there than you now...but I spent over 55 years there...not at St Edwards all the time ha ha....but lived right there for all those years....Kings Norton in the old days went right down to Balsall Heath...which of course changed ages ago....but very off putting when you think that KN was classed as Worcestershire then too.
Flanagan.Taylor,Carrington,Stutley,Challiner,Wheatley,Power,Surplice.

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 15:03 BST (UK) »

Hi,
I too have been looking into the address "2 Raddlebarn Road" which appears on an ancestors death certificate in 1922.
Having checked up on various sites it seems that Selly Oak Hospital began to be run from 1922 onwards and I assume that those folks who needed the aid of the former workhouse & its infirmary were cared for there.
There is a house in the electoral books which shows that the Stephens family lived at 2 Raddlebarn Road from 1912 until at least 1939, Mr Stephens worked as a storeman in a chocolate factory, Cadburys I assume.
I have read several entries on various forum sites relating to the births of children to unmarried mothers & deaths which were registered as taking place at 2 Raddlebarn Road for several years in the early 1900's when clearly the same address was the postal address for the Stephens family. Some of the certificates were dated to the end of the 1920's. I therefore assume that the local authorites continued to use 1, 1a & 2 Raddlebarn Road as
addresses upon certificates even when it first became known as Selly Oak Hospital instead of the workhouse, perhaps because it still cared for the former inmates and was still being used to disguise the fact that they had been workhouse inmates.
Does anyone know when 1, 1a & 2 Raddlebarn Road ceased to be addresses that were used by the local authorities for the use on certificates please?

Thanks,
Treefan.

Offline SOPHIEDOG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 June 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
My Father was also born at 2 Raddlebarn Road in the June 1921, I have his Birth Cert to validate this.
I was also told it was the workhouse infirmary, his mothers address is down as the same on Cert,so Im guessing along with others it was used for part of the workhouse overload maybe.?
I am going to find my source for the info I was able to find out from on another site,and re-read the info given me.

Sophiedog.
Reserching / TOWNER Bishopstone and Brighton Area, Sussex / NIGHTINGALE  Warnham, Horsham,Ewhurst,Brighton / ..
Towner Bishopstone......................................................
Illson Leicestershire...............................................
ADAMS/GANDERTON/ BENNETT /TAYLOR/BROWN. Warwick Birmingham Areas.
Jane Eliza Meddows & Meddows Taylor family; Of Willoughby Waterless in the county of Leicestershire.)
COOK,Brighton / Cuckfield...