Author Topic: fox, maguire in auckland  (Read 11395 times)

Offline PPF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: fox, maguire in auckland
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 August 08 23:23 BST (UK) »
Mare, my children are called Patrick, Michael and Sarah, not really Irish but popular here none the less. Peter Fox, my grandfather married Sarah O'Gorman from Dundalk Co. Louth. My mothers people haile from co. Limerick. their name was Sheehan, Could I also be related to Frank Mc Court of Angela's Ashes fame ???

Offline Kevin B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Tony are you on here tonight ....long time no hear.....anything from Peter.  Like yourself Im sure, left the searching for a while.  Was in Newry last week and hoped to get down to Gilford but alas no.  Anything new on John Maguire or indeed Anne Maguire( Fox) ..

Kevin

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 00:38 GMT (UK) »
i should have done an update before now,apologises.

the john and annie maguire(nee fox) that are buried in waikaraka cemetary are the ones that i was after :) i got the death cert printout for annie and her parents names confirmed it. "where died" was listed as ponsonby.
the cert said that annie had been in new zealand for 23 years so she arrived on the doric in 1885. the anne that was listed arriving on the langstone in1883 must have been her daughter travelling with john,father,and a brother.
all the names that jorose found on post#3 match the children of annie and john that i have found out about, from this side of the world,except for rose who seems to have been left out! the one child that was left behind in ireland was kevinb's great grandmother who married william boyle,the mary maguire listed arriving on the doric was probably the same mary who was god-parent to one of the children.
i hope this all makes sense!

i found out,thanks to althea,that john maguire was living on the ponsonby road in 1892 which tallies with where annie died,though it looks like a fair distance to waikaraka cemetery!

i would like to say thanks to jorose, mk2 and mare who helped me out.
a special thanks to mare, who is an absolute gem ;D 8)

the only thing that would make this perfect would be if someone posted saying "hi, i'm descended from..."! you never know ;)

tony

Offline neillson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Very impressive work here everyone. I shall explain how I fit in.

I am descended from Elizabeth Blacker who I suspect was the sister of the Ann Blacker who married Bernard Fox from Killylyn, Grange, Armagh and had the Terence Fox in 1831  who married Catherine Blacker in 1863 and was the landlord of what is now Wee Minnies in Gilford. My mother was born in Tullysaran and I have lots of connections there. A witness to my great grandfather Joseph O'Neill's marriage to Sarah Gillen in 1863 was a Margaret Fox who I think would have been his cousin born in 1820 to Ann Blacker (assuming I am right about the siblings). Killylyn is very close to Tullysaran and a lot of the weddings and possibly baptisms were in Armagh City itself, I think. So the idea that the Fox's came from Tullysaran seems quite reasonable to me.

I am not sure about Catherine Blacker being a Protestant. There have been plenty of Catholic Blackers in Armagh and I have written a lot about them without being at all clear about where my Elizabeth Blacker originated. She started her family in Loughgilly. Later children were baptised in Armagh and it was when I was looking for my great grandfather's baptism I stumbled across Ann Blacker's Terence being baptised in 1831(I believe her name was wrongly transcribed by rootsirend.ie and that threw me of the scent for years!). But now I am closer than ever to locating my Blackers, so if anyone can help.....

In any case everyone is welcome to my piece on the Blackers. 

John

Offline neillson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 25 February 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Correction: I should have written Mary Fox rather than Margaret Fox. She went on to marry Hugh Campbell in 1881. I don't have a birth record but if I have the right one in the 1901 Census  (and she was being honest) she would have been born around 1845, which seems a bit too late in relation to her other siblings and I guess would have made her too young (only around 18) to be a witness, I would guess. The other witness, clearly from the bride's family, George Gillen, would have been 21, 26 (1st definitely unmarried, 2nd probably unmarried)  or 70 (definitely married). I have no idea about customs as to witnesses in those days. But a family connection to the Foxes via the Blackers looks very likely to me.

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 27 February 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Pm sent to John.