Author Topic: Boswell Family  (Read 16138 times)

Offline Boswaus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 December 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant of William Boswell ( 1868 - 1923 ) married Eliza Edmonds  1892 in St Andrew's Church, Cobham, Sry.
He is my Great Grandfather.

Offline vandell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was Born Fraizer Boswell in Angelsy but was raised as a member of the Lock family.

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 April 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
I would love to hear any stories you can remember your grandfather telling you about being brought up by the Locks. Many of the Lock men were fiddle players and played in pubs and went carolling at Christmas into the 1920s, and later. It would be great to have some first-hand memories.

Offline vandell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 April 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
He's still alive and wants someone in the family to try to find out who is actual parents were.  He was raised as a lock, but later on in life he found out that there was a murder in the Boswell family and in order to protect him and his siblings, they assumed the identity of 'Lock' members.  I will be visiting him in a month or so, to chat and write down any information.  His Father would be Ronald Boswell. 

My grandfather was like his Father, a scrap man.  However this was just one of his many occupations. Granddad was in the merchant navy, my mother also told me an amusing story about how Granddad had an amazing singing voice but was extremely shy about it at the same time.  He would sing for military personnel in cabaret shows, but would be too nervous.  So he used to sing with his back to the audience. lol

I will try to find out more information for you and post it.

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 April 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting indeed, and might help shed some light on the fact that between 1891 and 1901 many of the Locks travelling north Wales adopted the alias Boswell. So, for example, Noah Lock (born 1824) was Lock when seen by the census taker in Edgmond, Shropshire, in 1891, and Boswell when at Llasadrwn, Anglesey, ten years later. He and some of the family members who travelled with him remained Boswells in the official sources until the end of their lives. So, old Noah died in Llanddeusant, Anglesey, on 12 March 1907, and his death was registered as Noah Boswell. His wife died three years later and was registered at Bangor, Anglesey, as Deliah Locke-Boswell.

If you think it might stimulate your grandad's memories let me know if I can tell you more about the activities of the family during the early 20th century.

Offline vandell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 April 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
As far as we know.  My Grandfather found out there was a Fist fight of some kind, there were bare knuckle fighters in the family.  His father Ronald and his elk changed their names to Lock for cover, so they could go unpunished for a Murder that was commited.

I will try to get more information for you.

Also, do you know if this crest is connected to the Gypsy Boswells.

Im an artist and im very interested in meeting Boswells or learning more about the Boswell family, as far as we know - we are connected to Esmerelda Boswell who was married to the Town Clark. (Bridgenorth)

Offline Geoff Kaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 17:32 BST (UK) »
HI All

I am researching the Boswell & Lock families.
I have the Boswells on the 1901 Wales Census  RG13  5247  83  9

Sarah Boswell age 40 Widow   Travelling Gypsies
Joseph Boswell age 19
Agers Boswell age 9
Sarah Boswell  age 7
Dora Boswell age 14

I have the Marriage Certificate for DORA BOSWELL who married a JOSEPH LOCK in 1916
DORA's fathers name on the marriage cert, is JOSEPH BOSWELL
Any information would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Pughy

Offline Geoff Kaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon Pughy

I am a new member also researching Boswell and Lock Families in North Wales.
With regards to the marriage of Dora Boswell to Joseph Lock in 1916. I see Dora's fathers name is Joseph but who was the father of Joseph Lock?

thanks   Geoff

Offline Pughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
HI Geoff
I did the research some time ago for a friend I passed all the info over to him.
Pughy