Author Topic: Signpole Sinepole or St Paul  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Signpole Sinepole or St Paul
« on: Friday 21 January 05 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I would be pleased to know about any occurrences of the name Signpole or Sinepole. I have a cluster of them from the late 1600s to the late 1700’s in the Pontesbury area of Shropshire but no trace of them since.

The name doesn’t appear on any of the census indices and appears to have died out in Shropshire by about 1790.

One possibility is that the name is a corruption of Saint Paul (there use to be an MP called St-John-Stevens who use to pronounce his name Singen) so I’d be pleased to here from anybody with Shropshire ancestors surnamed St Paul, or just Paul to see if I can make any possible connections between my Signpoles and them.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Signpole Sinepole or St Paul
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 05 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I notice the name Simpole around Salop in the various censuses. I agree that surnames become altered by dialect. Apart from St. John there is St. Leger [Salinger], Menzies [Mings] and many others. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk