Author Topic: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor  (Read 74611 times)

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor
« Reply #117 on: Friday 26 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm rather confused and could do with some help.  I have Thomas Martyn 1737 - 1780 = Anne King 1740 - 1780 but I have them living in Crantock although married in St Columb Minor.  My line I think is through their daughter Margaret (1769) who married Thomas Trenerry 1760-1834.  I have a family story that one of our relatives got drowned in the Gannel and see that that is supposed to be William Martyn 1775-1815 = Elizabeth Darke from one of the other posts.  I wondered if they are actually related?  Also I have Martin from Stithians in our tree and go back to Michael Martin 1734-1810 = Jane Bath 1741-1839 from Martin Martin and Martin Martin.  I wondered if anyone knows about them, as my father thinks that he had a wood working tool with Martyn Martin inscribed on it. Does anyone know how to find out what occupation these people had before the advent of the census?  Many thanks.
Cornwall: Skewes, Martin, Martyn, Dunstan
Scotland: Lightbody, Graham, Knox
England: Lello, Daniel

Offline Demitrius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 26 January 18 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I assume you have seen or possess a copy of the Martyn family tree.

The few paragraphs I paste below could help you a little. I would be happy to help further if you are prepared to post your email.

My grandmother, Jean Margaret Martyn, was born into a wealthy family – the Martyns lived in a substantial house on Wimbledon Common, Gladswood, No 9 Southside. Her father, William Edward was a successful lawyer, practicing in the Middle Temple.

The Martyns came from St Columb Minor in Cornwall, a small village just inland from Newquay, where the family can trace its roots back to the 17th century – the first record being that of Thomas Martyn, born in 1668. Thomas was a yeoman farmer, the founding father in a Martyn family tree commissioned in the mid-19th century. (See below).

William Edward’s father, William Martyn, was a physician and surgeon, born in St Columb in 1815, who was himself the son of a local doctor, Dr Thomas Martyn (1774-1826). Thomas’s brother, William (1817-1815), who drowned in the nearby Gannel Estuary, is commemorated in the east window of St Columb’s parish church. The churchyard is stacked with Martyn tombstones.

William Edward evidently prospered and set up home in considerable style in London at 6 Trevor Place in Knightsbridge in a household with three live-in servants and practiced in nearby Trevor Terrace. He later moved to Westmoreland Lodge, Wimbledon, where he died in 1896.

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 26 January 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Demetrius, thank you for your reply.  I don't have a copy of the family tree, though my father thinks we did have one two generations ago but it was given to a relative who died in the '70s.  I am intrigued by the Gannel estuary drowning, as our family story says that the ancestor spurred his horse in to the Gannel - the horse made it home but the rider didn't.  I imagine there may have been several drownings in those days though so I could be barking up the wrong tree.  Many thanks

Offline teilujnitram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can place them on the Martyn tree; I've pasted him and his children below.  He was son of John M (1737-99), son of Joseph, son of Thomas ..

How do you connect to the C19 Martyns?

Denis

4 William MARTYN b: 1775 c: 27 DEC 1775, of Trevithick?
- drowned in the Gannel (estuary, Crantock/Newquay) 15 Oct 1815 acc. Bibliotheca Cornubiensis
- m Elizabeth Darke 11 Nov 1802, Hatherleigh
                5 John Darke MARTYN b: 1804 - d 1877
- b Trevithick, 30 Nov 1803, d Padstow 27 Jan 1877; m 29 Jan 1834 Bodmin SSH of Treharrock, St Kew
                  + Susan Symons HAMBLY b: 1805 c: 20 JAN 1805 d: BEF 1871
                5 Elizabeth MARTYN
                5 Caroline MARTYN - b 1807/8, d ca Feb 1899, St Columb
- paid for "Martyn window" at St C Min
                5 Mary MARTYN - b 1808/9, m ca Aug 1852
                  + Constantine Bradford JOHNS b: 1805 -(also m(1) Mary Martyn, ca May 1838)
                5 William MARTYN b: 1811 - merchant & farmer at Trevemper Bridge, 1851
- leased Polwhele, Trevemper Bridge, from his brother in 1836
                5 Gertrude MARTYN
                5 Thomas MARTYN b: 1813 (1812?)-1893 (Bodmin ca Nov)
                  + Susanna Symons MARTYN b: 1812

I have found the newspaper account of the drowning,  in the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 7th October 1815, says he drowned on the 4th, while warping a boat across the Gannel.  The warp broke and he was tipped in with another person.  Very sad as mentions he has a lot of very young children left without any means of support.

Offline QuayGar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still trying to break down brick walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 23 September 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to identify a member of the Martyn family please?
On 9 Dec 1721 at St Columb Minor, Margaret Martyn married John Sampson.  Following his death in 1732, she married Richard Rickard dying in 1780.
I suspect that Margaret was the daughter of Richard Martyn and Jane but can anyone help me to confirm this please?

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Monday 21 March 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Probably totally unconnected but there are Martyns on my website
https://sites.google.com/site/pomeroytwigs2/my-pomeroy-family/werrington

Has anyone got anything on. either the Mundy family or the Mylles - around Launceston
William Mylle was Mayor of Launceston and his unnamed daughter married Thomas Hext/ Hickes another mayor of Launceston. Hext's 1595 Will  gives both these names, his  daughter Florence married a Mr Mundy and the lands his wife  brought to the marriage went to his eldest son and his granddaughter Jane Pomeroy.
I have been unable  to dig anything up about either family that seems relevant
All I have is William Mylle was Mayor of Launceston 1539 & 1544
Mill, William, mayor of Launc’n the Duchy accounts of 1556, William Mill, mayor, certified….   
Richard Mylle and his son William were both Mayors of Launceston 

My website is Pomeroy Twigs
https://sites.google.com/site/pomeroytwigs2/spouses/hext
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall