Author Topic: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor  (Read 74266 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARTYN Family of St Columb Minor
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
While on the early Martyns, I notice that Ann Hiscutt = Capt. John Christian then she = John Budd 2May 1770 St Columb Minor. I have found that he was probably John Turnavine Budd. I also see that A Rev. Richard Budd (Curate of St Columb Minor) = Mrs. Gertrude Turnavine 7 Feb 1744. There is also a Rev Richard Budd (Clerk of Parish) = Mrs Jane Martyn 17 May 1764.
My question is;
1. Are the two Rev. Richard Budds the same man?
2. Who were Mrs Gertrude Turnavine and Mrs Jane Martyn's previous husbands?

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Same man I feel though not specified.

The Rev Richard BUDD curate otp = Mrs Gertrude TURNAVINE 7 Feb 1743 St Columb Minor

John Turnavine BUDD was baptised 11 Jun 1744 St Columb Minor son of Richard and Gertrude

Birth and then burial of last child Dec 1755 and then

Gertrude wife of the Rev Richard BUDD was buried 5 Jan 1756 St Columb Minor

17 May 1764.....BUDD The Rev Richard Clerk OTP = MARTYN Mrs Jane Spinster OTP by Licence. Both Signed. Witnesses: Thomas Salmon and John ?

As you can see Jane was single. Common among gentry to describe a gentlewaman as Mrs even when single (a symbol of her status) Same goes for Gertrude Turnavine the daughter of John and Thomasine baptised 22 Jun 1722 St Columb Minor. Looks like Jane is daughter of Thomas and Catharine 2 Feb 1721 but don't know who they are at mo. Hit send accidentally - still looking  ::)

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 03:19 BST (UK) »
Righteo to continue:-

2 May 1770.....BUDD John Gentleman = CHRISTIAN Anne of Crantock by Licence Dated Apr 4. Both Signed. (John signed John Turnavine Budd) Witnesses: Joan White and Anne White

Doesn't mention Anne being widowed. I don't see a previous marriage   :-\

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 03:56 BST (UK) »
The first marriage was in Looe 4 July 1754 to Captain John Christian. 2 children - daughter Ann and brother John born in Looe. daughter married Crantock son married Cubert.........Kris  :D

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,
I was about to say the Capt. John Christian came from the Martyn tree but I see that you have tracked him down.
In the IGI it has 3 Gertrudes (daughter of John and Thomasine Turnavine) The first two I presume are the one person, 12 Feb 1710 & 12 Feb 1711. I presume this one must have died before the 23 Jun 1722. It seems a bit strange that she was refered to as Mrs. when only 20 years old.
I see Gertrude's sister Thomasine married John Martyn (son of Thomas Martyn & Gertrude Turnavine)
I cant see any children of Richard Budd & Jane Martyn.

Thank you for your efforts, its slowly coming into place.
Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I was going through some old postcards and came across a picture of Penpol so I thought I would post it for the interest of other Martyn descendants.
I believe the picture was most likely taken around 1900 as my G mother stayed there at this time.

I believe that Penpol was the home of the Martyns from at least the late 1600s as I am told that Thomas Martyn = Gertrude Turnavine lived there.
It appears that Joseph Martyn = Dorothy Warne, Thomas Martyn = Ann King, William Martyn = Mary Hiscutt and their bachelor son William all lived in Penpol.
I think the house was sold in the 1970's.

I dont have any proof of the above except information in a few letters written to my mother by her Martyn cousin in Cornwall.

If anybody has any information on the house/ farm I would be interested.

Regards Ding.

Offline Rosedale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
 :o Thank you so much for that Ding.
Flintshire - Hughes, Price, Simon, Messham, Griffiths, Powell, Tattum, Eaton, Roberts, Pownall, James, Enion
Denbighshire - Morris
Cheshire - Walley, Hough, Pridden, Jackson, Lawson, Rosedale, Rigby
Lancashire - Smith, Caunce, Williams, Eaton, Watkinson, As(h)croft, Wilson
Cumbria - Twentyman, Borrow, Bownas, Mitchell
London - Liddell, Wilkes, Hart
Midlands - Smith, Fox, Hopton, Timson

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 August 08 05:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to follow the line of Margaret Martyn daughter of Joseph Martyn + Dorothy Warne.
As far as I can see she was born in 1745 and = Samuel Martyn 22 May 1766 in Crantock. They have a son Richard b. 3 Mar 1767 (St Columb Minor) after that it gets hazy. Did Margaret die in childbirth?
On the tree it looks as if their son Richard = Margaret Martyn 21 Dec 1793 (he is listed as a shipwright of Padstow) they have no offspring. Then he = Patty Inch and they have two children:

Richard = Elizabeth Lane  they have about 9 children
John = Elizabeth Congdon  they have 1 child

I cant find any reference to a Patty Inch or the deaths of the two Margaret Martyns.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ding,

Dont know about these two sons Richard and John. I have one son born and died to Richard and Martha INCH  who married 16 Aug 1795 Padstow - Joseph b 31 Mar 1797 buried 1 Aug 1798. I can't see any others nor can I find anything on them. Do you have anything at all on these two alleged sons? I have spent so much time last night and again this morning and I cannot find baptisms or anything whatsoever further. There is a John = Eliza CONGDON 8 Aug 1835 in Stoke Damerel IGI but I don't see them in the census. Do you have any census or anything concrete? ................Kris  :D