Author Topic: Why can't I sprinkle ashes  (Read 51080 times)

Offline Carol22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why can't I sprinkle ashes
« on: Friday 20 June 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me why it is illegal to scatter ashes on someones grave.
I rang the local cemetery to find the number of a grave, 91 yr old Mother in law has just passed and wanted to be scattered
on her Father's grave in the local cemetery,  I was told very bluntly it is illegal and they would do it for £150. I shall be sneaking down with ashes in a bag and doing it when no one is around.

Caz

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHY CAN'T I SPRINKLE ASHES
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
My advice to the last person that asked this question:

What they don't know can't hurt them.

;)

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
This is worth reading.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03o5/

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me why it is illegal to scatter ashes on someones grave.
I rang the local cemetery to find the number of a grave, 91 yr old Mother in law has just passed and wanted to be scattered
on her Father's grave in the local cemetery,  I was told very bluntly it is illegal and they would do it for £150. I shall be sneaking down with ashes in a bag and doing it when no one is around.

Caz

Thats a good idea. If she wasn't cremated, they would easily allow your family to bury her in the grave, so why not allow you to scatter her ashes there?

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
What are the normal options for disposal of cremated remains?

All crematoria provide a Garden of Remembrance where cremated remains can be dispersed. Some crematoria provide niches where containers may be placed for limited periods. Cremated remains can be removed from the crematorium in a suitable container for disposal elsewhere. This may include internment in a grave in a cemetery or churchyard, disposal at another crematorium or dispersal privately in a particular area selected by the family. Suitable permission should be obtained from the appropriate Authority in these cases.

Note it says should not must  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 June 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Caz
sorry for you and your family's loss.  Go ahead and scatter and them where she wanted to be scattered  - It would take one very hard hearted person to stop you ( and what grounds can they stop you for?) .

If it were me, I would go ahead with the person's wishes, and b*gger what anyone else has to say about the  legalities of it. I doubt very much the gaols are full of people scattering  ashes of family members  over graves.

Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I sprinkle ashes
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 June 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
When my husband died I paid the cemetery £150 for a tiny rose bush and metal tag with his name on. I had a major argument with them because I wanted the name "Rocky" put on it.  He was never called anything else.

I went to the cemetery expecting to scatter his ashes around the rose bush only to be told by a thoroughly obnoxious man that I couldn't "chuck 14 lbs of ashes around a rose" and had to take them to an agreed area.  They knew when I paid for the rose that that was the plan!

I gave up that day and later took them to his favourite part of the coast and put them in the sea.   However I kept a small amount back.  My friend and I went back to the cemetery,  she kept watch (in a sort of pantomine fashion) while I dug a small hole under the rose and buried the ashes.  :D

Rocky would have loved it, he had a wicked sense of humour!

You go for it Caz, put them wherever you want to. ;D  You need to feel content that you have done everything you can for somebody that you have lost.

All the best,  Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I sprinkle ashes
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 June 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
They say it's illegal (but it's not) yet they can do it for £150.     ??? 
jobsworths  >:(

I agree with Windsor, and everyone else.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"