Author Topic: Two Marriages  (Read 8595 times)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 January 05 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Just another Idea out of the blue.

Hannah DEXTER was born in Uppingham abt 1811 so I did a search on the Uppingham 1851 census for a Hannah of about 40 and found this one

Samuel Porter, Male, 49, Married 
Relationship to Head
Head   Occupation
Agricultural Labourer Birthplace
Rutland Belton
Street
Beast Market 
Book Number: 1 Schedule Number: 164 

~~~~~~~~

Hannah Porter, Female, 40, Married 
Relationship to Head
Wife   Occupation
 Birthplace
Rutland Uppingham
Street
Beast Market 

~~~~~~~~

George Porter, Male, 14 
Relationship to Head
Son   Occupation
 Birthplace
Rutland Uppingham
Street
Beast Market 

~~~~~~~~

Joseph Porter, Male, 11 
Relationship to Head
Son   Occupation
Scholar Birthplace
Rutland Uppingham
Street
Beast Market 

Now I have a Samuel death in 1858 which would pave the way for my Francis to marry her.

I could do with seeing the 1861 Uppingham census to see if Hannah PORTER appears with her children with her maiden name and her children keeping the PORTER name?

She meets Francis DEXTER between 1868 - 1871 somewhere.

Just a hunch but who knows?

Please let me know your thoughts

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 05 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

I'm about to order a marriage certificate and wanted to check with you some information you gave me a while ago.

Here it is below.

I have managed to find one of them for you -

Francis DEXTER & Martha HILL    June quarter 1851 at Stamford  24  1145

I think the 24 is supposed to be 14.

Would you be able to tell me?

Thanks

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 March 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
A couple of things.....

1)  The ref. should be 14 !!  sorry.....it must be my misreading of the roman numerals !  Anway I have double checked and you are correct.

2) The information about Hannah Porter has given us the other marriage !!!

Re: the ref. I gave you for the Francis Dexter marriage -

December q. 1870 in Leicester  7a 501

I cross referenced it with Hannah Porter.....and YES!!!  it is the same ref. No.....well done smudger !!
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 March 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

Thankyou very much for looking, I can now order the Marriage Cert!!

Nice 1  ;D

Thanks

Paul

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 May 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
 :D :D

Just out of interest, I think the PORTER's must have been an old Rutland family, one of them married into my EDGSON'S viz:

HANNAH PORTER daughter of JEFFREY PORTER was born November 28, 1690 in Langham, Rutland.  She married WILLIAM EDGSON February 16, 1710/11 in Langham, Rutland, son of WILLIAM EDGSON and SARAH BLUNT.  He was born December 24, 1685 in Langham, Rutland, and died 1719 in Langham, Rutland.

Children of HANNAH PORTER and WILLIAM EDGSON are:

William Edgson, b. June 10, 1716, Langham, Rutland.
Jeffrey Edgson, b. November 1, 1718, Langham, Rutland.

;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)