Author Topic: Photo Restoration and Colourising.  (Read 41730 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Restoration and Colourising.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 January 05 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Are you referring to what I put into the Additional Options fields?
Ted

Yes that's the question. But it sounds like you know where the file you are trying to attatch is  on your hard drive. So there could be another problem. If you want, email me the file and I will do a test post. I  will examine the file for anything screwy that may be going on.

I wil pm you my email address in a second.

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 January 05 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Images that are larger than 100 kB tend to take a while to load on People's browsers if they are using a dial-up connection.  So this is one way of getting those photographs and documents onto the forum and keep the file size to a minimum.

The first thing you need to do is to scan the photograph or the document at a decent resolution.  300dpi is desirable so you can zoom in and look at the detail. The problem at this resolution when you save it, it will have a file size of 600kB or more.  Obviously this is far to big for posting onto the forum.  So, we need to reduce the file size without losing to much detail.

While viewing your document in a graphic program, you need to decide which part of the document you want to post.  If it is a photostat copy from a birth registry for instance, you may only need one person on the list.  So the first thing to do is use the cropping tool.  Then drag a rectangle over the details you want to keep and crop. Bingo, this has already dropped the file size dramatically without losing detail on the area of interest.  If the file size is still above 100 kB, what you need to do is reduce the image size to 72dpi.  72dpi is the maximum resolution that most monitors can handle. As there are whole lot of different software packages out there. i cant't tell you where the image reduction menus are, so here's one way to do it that works for everyone.

With the file open, zoom in or out to the size you think looks good enough for the forum members to look at. If you are using a pc, hit the "Print Screen" key, this will take a snapshot of the screen and place it on the clipboard. If you are using a Macintosh hold down the "apple, shift, 3" this will take a snapshot of the screen and put a file on the desktop.

With your graphics programme open. With the PC you go to file/new, this will ask if you want a new blank document. Say OK. then go to edit and paste, the contets of the clipboard will appear on screen at 72dpi. With the Macintosh you go to file open, and look for a file called "picture1" and open it. Now wether PC or Macintosh you do another crop to get rid of the excess image.

Now when you save the image its file size should be below 100kb.

This is probably as clear as mud. Here's a link to a tutoial which is a bit more professional.

deadants

http://www.inform.umd.edu/UMS+State/UMD-Projects/MCTP/Technology/image/size.html
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 January 05 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deadants,
I know what you are talking about and I am converscent with the graphic. What I am unable to do is add the photos to a reply on your posting as you have added pics..
It seems not to like a "file name" stating it has already been used???
I hadnt used it before???
So given I reduce the images which makes sense and I have done I am unsure how to add these pic.
I am getting to the point I dont want to bother.
sorry to say that, as I wanted to help others also with their graphics as I have been doing it for a while.
Thanks so much for your help.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline tallted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 January 05 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Tallted again,
Do you want to meet on the chat line we could meet and move to a seperate room to go over any suggestions you may have.  I will go there now and if you can I will meet you. If not its ok some folks don't care for the chat line as it is getting a bit frivolous.
Ted.

Offline tallted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 January 05 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I just thought I would share some photo restoration I am working on.  I have used Adobe Photoshop 6 and found it great for restoring and colourising old photos.  The one attached was torn very badly, but I was able to piece it together with Adobe and restore it. I also eliminated 2 children not related to the family and left my dad, his brother and sister together. I will now be colouring it using the layer programs.
If any one is purchasing or has Adobe photoshop 6, I would suggest you purchase with it the book "Adobe Photoshop 6 for Windows Bible." by Deke McClelland. The book is so much better than the manual. Well worth the extral outlay if you are serious about doing this.
If anyone needs any help I to will be happy to accomodate. Just e mail me.
Ted

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 January 05 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm impresset Ted. Just  one little thing you could have done before  posting two files is to put the two together as one photo. Side by side.

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 January 05 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Here's a tip about posting pictures.

When you save your graphic files before posting, make sure you save them with a very unique file name. If you just go with the generic name the computer supplies, chances are someone else has  posted a file with that name. When that happens, and you try to attach files, the forum software doesn't like it and you get file name errors. :o

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 January 05 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Here's another type of restoration. This one pulls a faded and stained photo back to life.

This one is my G Grandfarther c1880

deadants

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 08:11 GMT (UK) »
After you have collected all those old family photos, how should you store them? The folowing link has some great advice on this as well as tips all things photographic.

http://www.city-gallery.com/digital/index.html

deadants