Author Topic: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816  (Read 17187 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Sydney
Sitting Magistrate R. Brooks Esq. 

The following convicted of larcenies and other offences, were sentenced variously :—
William Cope, John Ducey. William Boxho, Robert Wilson, and William Allen—for life to Newcastle.

As an aside, that Magistrate was the same Richard Brooks owner of the Lord Melville.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
The reporter has made the following comment:
Thank you for your information, however the Willaim Allen I am looking for was tried at the Warwick Assizes on 14/8/1813 and was transported on the Surrey arriving in NSW on 28/7/1814. Mariea

Posted on behalf of Mariea who clicked on the report to moderator button instead of the reply button ;) Sarah

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/convictDetails.php?convictId=44893

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/convictDetails.php?convictId=44787

JM    :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 August 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that extra information. This is perhaps a silly question but when you say thy were sentenced for life was that for the term of their natural life or for a set period of years? So if William Allen was originally sentenced for life why did he receive a Ticket-of-leave in 1849?
Regards
Mariea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 September 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,

Thank you for the great information about William Allen. Do you know if another convict Josiah Allen convicted at the Lancaster Assizes with wife Mary Ann Allen in 1816 for forging Bank Notes is related to William Allen. I thought William was Josiah's father but now am not sure. Josiah arrived in NSW
 on The Fame on 8/3/1817 and Mary Ann came earlier on The Lord Melville on 24/2/1817.

Regards
Mariea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 September 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that extra information. This is perhaps a silly question but when you say thy were sentenced for life was that for the term of their natural life or for a set period of years? So if William Allen was originally sentenced for life why did he receive a Ticket-of-leave in 1849?
Regards
Mariea

A sentence of Life meant just that .... no set number of years, but of course the penal system did allow for the governors to reduce the sentences .... 

Convictism to NSW effectively ceased in 1840.   

JM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 September 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,

Thank you for your latest reply.

Cheers
Mariea

Offline SamGray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 September 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Re: Zenophon Herne Basham
This is all new to me and I accidentally ended up here and glad I have. Im not sure if you will see this email but On the chance you do I have information about the Basham’s. I’m on holidays in a Tasmania at the moment and I have found Zenophon’s place of burial which I plan to visit. I have information at home regarding the Basham’s (my grandfather had spent many hours researching our family.) I also have court transcripts, news articles on reports pertaining to Zenophon and his children, from murder at the hands of the ‘Monster’ and being wounded by a soldiers bayonet as one of his sons escaped being held captive by Bushrangers and mistaken as one by the soldier. For those wanting to know about Sarah, his wife, from memory I have some information regarding her. I hope this does find some who are searching, please feel free to contact me here and I’ll try to help if I can. Cheers Sam.

Offline RhondaCole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 25 October 19 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All too
I have a substantial body of copies of documents and the like from going on thirty years' research.
SamGray implies that there is misleading stuff out there and he's quite right. There seems to be no record other than Rev John Youl's register entry ("Murdr'd") that John Basham (not Xenophon) was killed by anything other than a mistake. If, by the "Monster", people imply Jefferies, it has to be said he wasn't even at the scene.
I will happily help with copies of docs and stuff I've learned if people wish to contact me.
And I have two questions too, even after all these years:
Can someone give me the reference to the original authority that Xenophon's wife was a Sarah Ashby?
Can someone tell me from where "E.F." (Eustace FitzGerald, better known as James Dally) gets his information that Xenophon was "popularly known as John"? It sounds quite sensible to me but did Dally find another source I haven't?
Rhonda

Offline RhondaCole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 25 October 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say: Russell Kelly's excellent book was still available earlier this year.
Rhonda