Author Topic: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816  (Read 17188 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Melville Convict Ship to Australia 1816
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Everyone,
Just over three years have elapsed since the last post on this thread, and now I've discovered that Russell Kelly has finally had a launch of his book: "In the Wake of the Lord Melville", on 24th February 2014, in Sydney.
He eventually self-published 1000 copies of the book, and there's a Facebook page devoted to it.  Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest, most efficient way of doing a direct transfer of money to him so that I can purchase the book and pay for its postage to here in England?
Regards, keith
Very exciting news all this, too!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I think I remember exchanging PMs with you re that book back all those years ago.   I have been patiently waiting for advice on the launch of this book too.    In fact I recall contacting the author during 2013, and I thought I was on a "wait list".... 

I don't have a facebook thingy.....  ::)  so probably that is why I did not know of the launch.    I will hunt out his Queensland phone number and follow up and let you know ASAP.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS/2014-02/1393212744

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/5009195

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
JM, you can read the FaceBook Group page without being a member it gives his contact details, price etc:

https://www.facebook.com/LordMelville

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  I learn new things every day at RChat....   

I had left a message on an answering machine, but no reply as yet. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 June 14 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My copy of the book has arrived and it is fantastic.  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 June 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
…and my copy is now on its way to England, but it's going to take 3-4 weeks to arrive, and I can't wait, either…!"
Keith

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith Sherwood,
I have recently joined Rootschat and was interested to see your offer to search for an ancester if we wanted. I would like to take up your offer and for you to look up my ggggrandmother Mary Ann Streeter/Allen a convict on the Lord Melville arriving NSW 24/2/1817. Her daughter Eliza Ann from her first marriage to George Thomas Streeter (a convict on ship"Granada" arriving 21/10/1819) was also on the Lord Melville.
Mary Ann was tried with her husband? Josiah Allen at the Lancaster Assizes.He, for forging bank notes and sh, for being in possession of forged bank notes. Both were sentenced for 14 years. Josiah came on the "Fame" in 8/3/1817. Mary Ann had several aliases: Ann, Streeter, Hunter, Nichols. She sounds like a very interesting character! I would appreciate any information you may have found.
Many thanks
Mariea

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mariea, and welcome to Rootschat!
There is indeed a large section in the book dealing with your named ancestors, in fact pages 235-248, in the section entitled The Crew John Nicholson is described in great detail, with of course lots of references to Maria Ann and Eliza. Where exactly are you in the world, for I could copy and send you those pages.  Please don't give me your personal whereabouts or address on here, but if you simply acknowledge this reply  on this thread, then I think I can communicate with you by PM (Personal Message) on this site...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
You did know, I presume, that Eliza, the 17 year old daughter, married John Nicholson the First Officer of the Lord Melville almost as soon as the ship docked in Australia!
Keith
Actually, Mariea,
I've had another look at the book, and Maria Ann is listed under the surname ALLEN too, and there are at least 7 or 8 full pages on her there.
It might even be an idea to get hold of a copy of the book yourself as there is so much info in there about your family members, especially if you live in Australia, where it would be easier to get hold of one.
Though I am more than willing to take images/copy and send them to you, as I said...