Author Topic: GREEN Lochmaben  (Read 31539 times)

Offline millie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GREEN Lochmaben
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
           do you know if the Janet Anderson, mentioned in the 1851 census, as mother-in-law of George Green, was the wife of William Anderson. 
                                             Regards Millie.
anderson, gillespie,gribbon,bruce,wilson,elliott,strachan,levett,
fallon,snell.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hiya millie,

I'm not quite sure?  She is on the 1841 census as well but there is no other Anderson there so couldn't confirm (I'm about to amend my posting as I've found the mum as well). 

The mum of this family at Smallholm, wife of Geoge is Elizabeth Jardine.

Now the enumerator on the 1841 census put some of the women down with their maiden names rather than their married names hence me losing them in the index.

So (hope I'm making sense!) I think Janet Anderson is her maiden name.  Which would mean she was married to a Jardine.

There is an Elizabeth Jardine born 10 SEP 1809 in Lochmaben to a Janet Anderson and John Jardine.  I suspect that that would ties this family up?

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi lighthouse,

Thought I'd post a note to let you know that I've expanded my "Green Tree" somewhat I nkow have 72 in my tree.

I've put it online so if you want to check it out it's here...
http://fallon.rootschat.net/names7.html#green

Still haven't got passed my Robert Green & Henrietta Ryecroft.  I would be very interested in your older Greens.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lighthouse,

I hope you catch this post.  I see you have a Lockerbie connection with Catherine Galloway possibly dying there.

I was recently in touch with someone through GenesReunited who was also connected to Lockerby.

They had connections to Applegarth as do I and it made me remember your Greens.

Your family appear in teh Applegarth records - I've typed them up here...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=118694.new#new

Have you got any further on your line?

Pam
 :)
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Jannet Anderson was indeed the mother of Elizabeth Jardine who married George Green and lived in a household at Smallholm Village (it was once a village of over 25 houses, but now is no more than a couple of farms and ruins).  How do I know you may ask.  Well, I live about 1/2 a mile away. 

The George Green/Elizabeth Jardine listed above are my 3 x Great Grandparents.  The mother-in law Jannet Anderson never married, but a John Jardine is known to be Elizabeth Jardine's father.  Hence the reason Elizabeth took her father's name rather than Anderson.

Regards,

Kojak  ;)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam/Lighthouse - and any other Green hunter,

Just thought I'd share my find....

James Green husband to Catherine Galloway (who were my 5 x Great Grandparents) was alive in 1841! He was living with his son, George (and his wife) at Howcleuch in the Parish of St Mungo.

Old James was listed as being 85 years old.

Happy hunting folks.

The future is bright, the future is Green...

Kojak.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Next stop MI then!

I was in St Mungos kirkyard about 2 years ago at dusk, beautiful place.  I am getting more and more convinced that your James and my Robert are brothers or 1st cousins.  Just because of the Milnbank/Applegarth connections.

???
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Pam,

Me 2.  From memory, St Mungo's old cemetery is very secluded and surrounded by a woodland and accessed along a very narrow lane.  If I get there before you (and find a grave - i'll let you know).

Kojak

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 February 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow it is quite a tangled web isn't it. 

After todays labours, which I'm still trying to digest - I can add another family to the lot above - James Green (son of Agnes Hunter & John Green) married Elizabeth Tweedie and I have a pile of kids along with that. 

Hi Pam

I have made a connection with James Green and Elizabeth Tweedie m 18 Oct 1867 Lochmaben(Elizabeth is my Greatgrand aunt),so far I have them with
 7 children
Robert b1868  Lochmaben   died1931 Lochmaben
Agnes b1870         "
Phylis b1872          "
James b1874          "                 "  1874         "
James b1875 Leadhill
Joseph Tweedie b1878
Elizabeth b1883                        "  1884           " 

could I ask if you have any additional info on this family that you would pass it on to me.  I only have James Greens parents names and James death date as 1915 Lochmaben. I have plenty of info on the Tweedie side if you are interested I would gladly share.
Fiona